Discussion on Upcoming Custom Razor Raffle

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bill, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Within the next couple of weeks, the razor will be ready for the new owner.

Here is what I have come up with so far to award the custom razor I am making to a Shave Den member. I propose these rules. I can amend them with legitimate concerns for fairness if need be.

I was racking my brain trying to figure out a way to have everyone feel that the winner was really the winner and not someone who was cherry-picked out of favoritism or some other perceived manipulation on anyone's part as to the outcome. I decided not to involve the great folks here at the den so they won't suffer the heat of any such accusations. Especially knowing it could happen if one of them won the dang thing... :D

I came to the conclusion that my integrity is beyond reproach and I would not alter the outcome because I could. My word is that the raffle will be legitimate. If that does not meet your approval, then you should not purchase a ticket. That just simplified things a whole bunch. Maybe we could make the drawing at a specified time on the Chat forum to have a little fun with it. What do you think about that?

Each ticket purchased will get a number. I will make sure you have a record of the number of your ticket before the raffle drawing. I will use a random number generator from the Internet to pick the winner.

Here are the rules:
    • A total of 100 tickets will be sold at $6 apiece, making your chances of winning 1/100 for each ticket purchased
    • $5 of each ticket will go to the Shave Den for their Internet upkeep purposes. $1 will be retained to cover my Paypal fees to make the transfer to them and to cover a couple sheets of sandpaper as well. Actual Paypal fees will probably be around 50 cents for each ticket sale
    • Raffle tickets may only be purchased by a Shave Den member
    • Member must have 5 posts to the forums in order to purchase tickets
    • Your Shave Den ID must be on the Paypal invoice or the money will be returned to you and the ticket will be sold to someone else
    • To make this fair for everyone, only 5 tickets per week may be purchased by the same person. Heck, otherwise someone could buy all 100 tickets and still have a semi-good deal. If ticket sales don't look like they will be sold out quickly by using this method, then it will be changed to allow more than the 5 per week
    • The winner will be chosen after 4 weeks from the sale of the first ticket or within a day or two after the sale of ticket #100.
    If, by chance, I have not been able to disable purchasing on my website once 100 tickets are sold, I will allow the additional purchases to be valid for the drawing rather than return any money to anyone. I will disable ticket purchases as soon as I can once 100 tickets are sold. That means that if there is a lot of purchase activity, 120 tickets may be out there. I could be delusional on this point, however... :o

There will be plenty of advanced notice as to when tickets are available to purchase. I needed to run this by you first.

Whew! I hope I didn't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Here are the changes. There will be no money involved. Everyone who enters will have one chance to win a variety of nice prizes.
    • There must be at least 40 names on the list. If there aren't 40, I will sell my razor on eBay and direct some of the funds towards the Shave Den.
    • The drawing will be held online in the Chat room at a time to be named later. (Probably around Thanksgiving)
    • Entrants must be a Shave Den member with Mods/Admin being eligible, since I will be the one drawing the name from the hat.
    • Entrants must have contributed at least 10 posts to the Shave Den site between now and the day of the drawing, all of which must exceed 50 words. Quotations from other posts don't count.
    • The razor will remain mine. It will be provided, on loan, to the winner of the drawing for 99 years or until my wife cremates my sorry ass. That means the winner promises not to sell it to anyone else for any reason. Do not enter, please, if this is your intent. You would be disrespecting me, the Shave Den, and your mama if you did so. It may be returned to me if it turns out that straight razors aren't your thing. If you do sell it, I'll send my cousin Vinnie to come pay you a visit. I'll know where you live... :D
    • Your Shave Den ID is your ticket number. This random list generator will be used to pick the winner.
    • Modifications from this day forward, to the rules, will be entered in blue ink so they catch your attention.
    Enter the drawing on this thread. Discussion about the rules and such can be made right here on this one.

Here are the goodies up for grabs so far. A ton of thanks to all the contributors so far.

Bill's Razor ..... #1
    Queen of Blades soap (5) ..... #2 ~ #6
    Issy's soap (5) ..... #7 ~ #11
    Tony Miller strop ..... #12
    A strop by Damon... #13
    Two bath soaps and two shaving soaps from Susie... #14 ~ #17
    Four things from Rene... #18 ~ #21

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Sounds simple and logical to me!

I like the idea of a Chat Drawing as well, Draw day drama would be fun :D

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Woohoo! I'm just happy that I get to play along!

Was worried about restricting mods from playing. :(

Everything sounds great, Bill! ::

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

All thumbs up - Looking Good!!

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Just tell us when to send the funds Bill, sounds great :D :drool:drool and the $500 + donation to The Shave Den is toooo Cool :cool: Way to go Bill!!

6. William

William New Member

Fantastic idea Bill, Can't wait to do my bit:D

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

In case someone didn't see how these are shaping up: :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool
    [vbpg]529[/vbpg][vbpg]530[/vbpg][vbpg]531[/vbpg][vbpg]532[/vbpg][vbpg]587[/vbpg][vbpg]588[/vbpg][vbpg]589[/vbpg][vbpg]590[/vbpg][vbpg]591[/vbpg][vbpg]592[/vbpg]

8. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I see nothing objectionable. The raffle in itself is a class act and a great contribution to this site. You are a gentleman. And I'm glad the euro is so strong.

9. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Now Im waiting for the tickets..great idea and a BEAUTIFUL blade

Issy

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

w00t!!!!!1

Thanks again Bill for making this possible, your ideas sound great and the razor I'm sure will be a work of art ::

11. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

any hints on the styles?

Issy

12. minderasr

minderasr Member

I only see one possible hitch in this raffle. Apparently there are members from all across the globe, meaning some people might not be able to make the live chat drawing. Otherwise I love it!

My 2¢ fwiw.

13. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Open the register..Bill. I cant sleep infront of my comp all night so I dont miss the openings this one is going to be sold out pretty quick..and its all for a good cause too so its a win -win situation as I see it no one looses..only ONE guy wins a bit more.. :rofl:drool:drool

I did something like this before on TOP and I wrote names on little pieces of paper and drew a piece of paper... didnt think of internet number generator way cool ,way smart ! wish I had known that before

14. Queen of Blades

I'm sure you wouldn't have to be present to win.

Of course, it would be great if the winner is present during the chat, but not necessary I would think.

15. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Bill this is amazing. All of us can't thank you enough. This one endeavor will surpass everything we've done to date. I assure all of you, that every cent, I receive, will go towards the forum. Not a single penny will stray. Thank you Bill.

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Bill owes me one keyboard...after the drool i left while looking at the pictures again :)

17. Queen of Blades

I believe Neale is to blame for the reappearance of the pics.

18. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Bill, that is super. Thanks.

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

+ another.....I can't even imagine how stoked the lucky winner is going to be....:D:D:D:D

20. Padron

Padron Active Member

Sorry, couldn't help myself....I needed a fix :o :cool: