Disposable razor discussion thread

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

(Here ya go @engrsaks ;) )

DISPOSABLE RAZORS
    [​IMG]

A lot of us have at some point or another used disposable razors.
    Me, I used them for years - granted, not an experience I'd particularly would love to return to but they are 'out there'...a lot of them...

Believe it or not but there are even collectible disposable razors.

This thread can be for any discussion about disposable razors - do you use them (and why), collect them, miss them...hate them? :)

2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Thanks for creating the thread @Darkbulb :) . I believe TSD is the only forum in which a special thread for disposable razor has been created (granted that my knowledge on other forums regarding disposable razors is limited).

I will start by sharing my previous day's shave setup

DSC_0431.JPG
    • BIC 1 classic disposable razor
    • Denim black shave cream
    • Brut AS lotion
    • Omega syntex
    I loved the shave with this little beauty :) . All I do is blade buff with it and after the first pass, I already make it to DFS. But, I still go for second pass just to make sure I don't need any touchups . The shaving results and regrown stubble feels exactly like the one I get from DE shaving :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Justin Linker and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great photo.
    Now, two obvious' questions:

1) Why do you use disposable razors, and
    2) How many shaves do you get out of one?

BabyBottomSmooth and engrsaks like this.
  4. engrsaks

Great questions, here are the answers. :)

Keeping my razors in tip top form is absolutely necessary for me (whether cartridge, electric or DE). After each and every shave, I go through a detailed maintenance routine to keep those in good condition for the next shave. But sometimes, I just don't feel like doing it at all. At that time I just wish to go for a razor that loves me but doesn't require my love in return :p. In other words, zero commitment. This is where disposable razors come in. Plus, I also use these when travelling. No worries if one gets lost. These razors are widely available, easy to acquire and get the job done nicely.

I get at least four to five shaves (zero maintenance) out of any disposable razor :) . A very decent mileage, I'd say.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Darkbulb likes this.
  5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have used disposable razors before. I get 2 shaves out of them and I generally use them if I'm stuck away from home and need a shave. I used to grab them when I needed a quick shave but since I found the Schick injectors that less and less. I use them regularly at work because the nursing home I work at buys them for the residents. I shave people at least 5 times a day 6 days a week at work and I pamper myself at home with a decent wetshave most days.

Darkbulb and engrsaks like this.
  6. engrsaks

30 shaves per week! :) . Wow you must be very skilled.

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Not really.

pvtbanks and engrsaks like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I was rebuked for my negative thoughts/comments on carts/disposables a while back (I was informed I was trolling), but since you ask - I hate 'em. Have never had a good shave with one. Serviceable, yes. Satisfactory, no.

BamaT, Bill_F, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I love using carts, but disposables...ehh...the handle is too light. Granted, I know I can just take off the cart from the handle and put it on the actual cartridge handle...but...nah. I do have a Schick Quattro disposable....I might give it another shake.

engrsaks likes this.
  10. Justin Linker

This was the first razor I ever shaved with. My father (before switching to electric) used these and taught me how to use this along with Gillette Foamy....he never mentioned showering before shaving...just splashing water on my mug and going at it...I never shed more blood at one time than the time I shaved with the Bic single blade...now that my technique has improved (significantly) I might try them again...I can get a 10 pack at Dollar Tree.

engrsaks likes this.
  11. engrsaks

It takes time to get used to one. But, whatever suits you, you should go for it first. I personally am not a fan of disposable razors but these things come to save the day when I have no other option available. :) . In Pakistan, Gillette good news disposable razors are marketed as "Gillette 2". These are the "most sold" razors in the market.

MVeeI likes this.
  12. Justin Linker

Sometimes I use a twin blade el-cheapo Wilkinson Sword twin blade for body shaving...

engrsaks likes this.
  13. engrsaks

And you still didn't manage to break my "cheapest shave" record. :p

Justin Linker likes this.
  14. Justin Linker

What can I say I enjoy the more luxurious things in life. 97 cents for a 4 pack of Wilkinson Sword twin blades are the epitome of lavish living. :)

engrsaks likes this.
  15. engrsaks

Don't forget, sometimes the only luxury you can have is a disposable razor. ;)

Justin Linker likes this.
  16. Justin Linker

Or a steak knife...or a spoon.

engrsaks likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I had no idea that Truefitt and Hill made disposable razors as well.

This set of five will set you back...$40.

[​IMG]

engrsaks likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

For many years that's all I used was Bic disposable I think they're Good News? Now I have a Gillette Atra handle and blades that I use when I shave my head. Best head shaves ever!!

engrsaks, Justin Linker and Darkbulb like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If more disposable razors looked like that, I might consider trying them. :)

Bird Lives and engrsaks like this.
  20. Justin Linker

Have you ever used the "Headblade", Kerry? It looks like a toy Hot Wheels car with a blade on it.

engrsaks, RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.