Divesting My Collection and Simplifying

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Troy M, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm not sure where this fits.

I LOVE traditional DE wet shaving. I started with a Gillette Slim around 1979 and progressed to a Schick injector for my high school years and then started on the cartridges in college and started to hate shaving. I jumped back into DE shaving about 8 years ago and haven't looked back (although I use a Trac II for head shaving)

I've bought and sold many razors over the past 8 years. I've bought and traded for many soaps and used them all and enjoyed them all, except for Williams. I've had scuttles and bowls and mugs and many brushes - boars, badgers, horse, horse/badger and plisson synthetics. I've enjoyed them all as well. I've tried probably 20 different brands of blades and enjoyed most of them, but definitely not all of them.

I've kept shave logs and paid attention to blade life, lather quality, shave smoothness and other criteria. I've participated in pass around boxes, arranged trades for software and hardware and had so much fun.

But I still love the daily pamper of a wet shave. I finally found my Precious!, my One razor and the blade that just works for it. And the cream that takes away the thought process of deciding. And the brush that works every time. Now I can just enjoy the aural sensation of shaving in a quiet bathroom after a nice hot shower and the resulting DFS.

I have been methodically selling and giving away all of my others. And Gents and Ladies, it feels good for me. I have 3 razors in the den now, but only 1 has been used since back in the spring. I have 4 brushes now, but only 1 has been used since early summer. I still have some really nice soaps and am daily depleting that stock. Overall, it feels so good to be simplifying.

However, I still love DE Wet shaving. I'll never go back to canned goo or foamy stuff. I'll never go back to multi-bladed monstrosities.

The really neat thing about our shared hobby is that YMMV and IMHO are absolutely true. I'm grateful for all of the opinions offered here. I'm grateful for the personalities here. I'm grateful for the opportunity to be a part of such a polite and educated community.

Shave on!

Herm2502, Enrico, Bflotom2 and 10 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I still can’t believe you’ve become a minimalist.

You’re just not the boy that we raised.

Just say the word and we’ll take up a collection of gear (and soaps and aftershave) for you.

Troy M, cliffb599, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Cheers @Troy M. Finding the happy spot is definitely a journey.

I had been not far from there, but am not sure where I am now.

Regardless, enjoy your shaves.

Troy M, cliffb599 and John Beeman like this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nicely done!

Troy M, PanChango and John Beeman like this.
  5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

So...what was the One setup?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Troy M, cliffb599, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

So you just Can’t Leave us Hanging.
    What Soap, What Brush, What Razor,
    What’s the Setup.
    You Just can’t Throw a Bone out there and not tell us what kind it is.
    Inquiring Minds Need to Know.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

brit, Troy M and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Troy M

[​IMG]
    ATT Windsor SSR plate, Astra Superior Platinum, Proraso green cream and this plisson style synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Thanks Awesome Setup.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

brit and Troy M like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096:

Troy M likes this.
  10. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

I am going through a similar experience. I have not reached "the ONE" yet but moving that way. I must say that it is nice to leave the decision making behind and just enjoy the shaving experience. And I must add that this forum has been somewhat responsible for the simpler life.
    Other forums I visit are focused more on the latest whoHa instead of the shave.

wristwatchb, Troy M and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Quite honestly nearly any of my razors I could use solely for the rest of my life and be very happy.

:eatdrink047:

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I recognize that brush. :ashamed001:

And by the way ..... Congrats!:eatdrink047:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Edison Carter and Troy M like this.
  13. Troy M

It was going to be my travel brush, but instead became my everyday brush!

Enrico, cliffb599 and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I find myself torn like you. I really enjoy all my vintage razors, DE and SE, but my recent foray into Artist Club razors has made me just want to use that type only. This leaves about 70 other razors to languish in my closet. I guess it's up to each of us to enjoy what we want. Good luck and enjoy your minimalist life.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, cliffb599 and Enrico like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You are truly making desert island choices. :shocked003:

Edison Carter and cliffb599 like this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am a bit in the same boat as you, except for the actual selling off (I have put the stuff I don't use in a box). I even started with a Slim Twist as well in the eighties ;)

Anyway, my Mühle Rocca and Simpson CH2 synthetic are so good that I don't need anything else. I also have a lifetime supply of Personna Platinum Chrome blades.

However, I couldn't live with just one soap and a single aftershave. I really need variety there :)

Enrico, Edison Carter and cliffb599 like this.