DIY after shave splash?

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by tuxxdk, Feb 22, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

I was thinking of making my own aftershave/astringent solution.

Has anyone ever done this with sucess?

I see alcohol is a part of my Aqua Velva but can I just take any alcohol I choose?

Basicly I was thinking of alcohol, glycerine and nothing else. Will that work?

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't know. But witch hazel makes a good after-shave splash.

Matt0210 likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  4. tuxxdk

I should propably have mentioned it beforehand. Witch hazel is expensive and very hard to come by here. It's a popular US product that doesn't really have it's going here.

That's why I'm thinking of making my own solution.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ja, jeg har! It is Bay Rum, but the ingredients for scent can be altered. alcohol, glycerin, witch hazel, and fragrance. you could leave out the witch hazel and even add some aloe vera.
    My homemade bay rum

JBSharp and tuxxdk like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Oh, I didn't know that. You could try a very small amount of isopropyl alcohol & glycerin to see how it feels. Give it 24 hours to make sure you don't react badly to it. If it feels OK, mix up some more. Just make note of the proportions you use, so you can repeat it or modify it.

tuxxdk likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

I have pure isopropyl (2-propanol) alcohol in house and can get more for, like, very little money. So that is definitely an option.

I just need a recipe that is completely scent-less. It should take part instead of my alum. HR's link in another post has scared me quite a bit, although no-one knows the ins and outs 100%. But I think, better safe than sorry later on. I can then use alum on travels instead (my no-liquid policy) as I figure few times a year wont hurt. That's another talk, back to the after shave...:

Sara, do you have any idea of the ratio? The isopropyl I have is 99% pure.

Great - that was actually part of another thought of mine. Since I can't get Bay rum here (yeah, I live on another planet, I know...) I'm doomed to make my own. Thanks for the recipe - it looks really exciting! Of course I'll have to ditch the WH but I figure it'll work still?

Omelmad and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am not sure of a ratio, as I have never tried this. I suppose I would start with a 1:1 ration & modify from there.

9. tuxxdk

The glycerin available locally here is vegetable glycerin (glycerol) - is that the glycerin I'm looking for or are there wrong and right types?

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is the right kind. (It's actually the only kind I know of.)

tuxxdk likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

Being in Denmark I just had to ask, because sometimes the products we get here is in the opposite of what the rest of the world gets :D Laws and stuff sometimes inhibit the locally available goods.

Thanks. It's just around the corner at a favorable price also, so I don't need Amazon for this project.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Please post your results, as you proceed.

13. tuxxdk

You bet!

One of the following days I should have a mixture.

14. tuxxdk

Man, every recipe I find online contains WH. Enough with the WH :D

What could substitute? I know the average American hasn't put much thought in it, because it's so easily available to you, but I can't be the only non-US citizen that needs an alternative?

From what I can read, the WH counteracts the harsh alcohol, soothes the skin.

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Can you get aloe vera gel?

16. tuxxdk

Aloe vera gel should be possible yes. Can that sub?

I've actually just found something regarding WH. They call it distilled Witch Hazel, but I don't know if it's the same as eg. Thayers or the likes?

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't know if aloe gel would work, but it is known for reducing irritation, so it might be worth a try. And distilled witch hazel is the same as what we use here. "Witch hazel" is a plant. "Distilled witch hazel" is the liquid that is extracted from it.

18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It's really a sad day when a penguin starts thinking about all sorts of shave potions instead of just rubbing his face in the snow. :(

:p

On a more serious note, I'd use as little alcohol as possible as it will a) burn and b) dry your skin. I'd even go with aloe vera juice instead of the gel b/c the gel tends to contain alcohol and depending what you buy, may also contain menthol and/or lidocaine (topical anesthetic (sp)).

19. tuxxdk

Great, my troubles has been eased then. It's not cheap, per se, the WH, but it's not outrageous either as the other places I've found.

Richgem, send some snow and I'll rub away :D

20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

We have more than enough snow here. :(