DIY Homemade Aftershave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Tim Spencer, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey,

I am itching to get an aftershave splash made with a nice fragrance oil I ordered. But, seems like Kevin of Country Club for Men is on hiatus from making anything these days. And all the other artisans I know don't make the alcohol splashes, only the non-alcohol type. So, if I'm unable to find a suitable custom aftershave brewer....I may have to take on a project myself just to see what happens. I'm thinking a splash with a decent sting, but not a 'burn', a decent amount of witch hazel, a touch of glycerine and a kiss of coolness. Nothing over-done, just a nice, reserved aftershave that does its job.

So, I have a bottle of Thayers medicated witch hazel, but would need to know what alcohol would be best and in what portion should it be added? Also need to know how many drops of scent oil is good without lasting 'too' long and interfering with my day's fragrance? I'm wondering if anyone has a shopping list with links and a good recipe?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have a homemade spritz bottle gifted to me by Tom @twhite. Because he was shipping it from Burbank, California to Lake Charles, Louisiana it was half full of the scent oil, witch hazel, and what ever other ingredients he used. I completed the mix by adding 190 Proof Everclear Alcohol. You can purchase Perfumers Alcohol but it's pretty much the same thing.

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is fun making your own AS.
    As @RyX stated. 50/50 of WH and Alcohol. The higher proof the better. It will keep it emulsified better. For a small 4oz mix. I will start with 20 drops of a premixed oil of your choosing. Add more if you want a stronger scent. I also add vitamin E and a bit of glycerin. Make sure to always shake well before using.

This is a good starting point.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swellcat, Douglas Carey, MR41 and 4 others like this.
  4. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I’ve been messing with my own pre/ post shave oil.
    And have recently started researching after shave

My wild guess is
    10% alchol the standard 70% or 90% rubbing alcohol , to 90 % witch hazel
    1-3 % fragrance oil is a good start

I’ve read where some bay rum AS is actually made with rum.

You may need to add a solubilizer to keep it in solution
    I have a crappy one that needs shaking before use.
    And maybe a fixative to keep the scent going longer

Alcohol and witch hazel are relatively inexpensive should not be cost prohibitive to experiment. To get the right amount of bite

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

6. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

7. brit

brit in a box

cheers:eatdrink047:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I find that a good starting point for oil is 2 tsp (10 ml) to 4 fl. oz. of your aftershave.

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

If you are looking for more of a light scent rather than cologne strength you may want to (as mentioned) start off small and add more fragrance as necessary.

Have made several types of balms, aftershaves, lip balm, etc. And making them is not difficult at all and can be quite fun. Getting the correct fragrance would be the difficult part especially if its a custom scent or something complex, compaired to just using EO.

Douglas Carey and Frijolero like this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman