DIY Soaps, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by BJV, Oct 17, 2023.

1. BJV

BJV Active Member

I wondered if anyone else concocts their own shave soap. I’ve been doing this for years, and it’s quite easy.
    * Bar of transparent Neutragena Glycerin Soap (Generic glycerin bars don’t dissolve as smoothly.)
    * Fragrance of choice (I like regular Aramis.); amount is your call.
    * Any other desired ingredients. (e.g. Menthol)

Microwave the soap right in the (microwaveable) shaving mug you’ll use for 15-25 seconds. It will liquify quickly, so check it every 10 seconds or so.

Once the soap is liquid, add your fragrance and hand-stir thoroughly—two, three minutes until blended. Cool in refrigerator or outside if the weather is cold. Once hardened, it will stay that way. I've used this mug many times, and the soap stays smooth and useable. IMG_0740.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    wristwatchb, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I did it many years ago before I made shaving a hobby

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’ve been making DIY shave soap, by mixing a couple of different MP soaps with a few “secret ingredients” for years.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  4. BJV

BJV Active Member

Couldn’t find MP in the acronym list…

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

MP = melt & pour

6. only way to melt a real soap is to grind it, and soak it in hot water and make a mush... sorry but soap cant be microwaved and doesnt have yogurt in it.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

is that how you make yours?

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ah-ha! A soap snob! ;)
    To me a good soap is a good soap, regardless of how it's made.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Sara-s likes this.
  9. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Melt and pour can be microwaved as long as you do it in short time increments. With tallow soap you are correct about not microwaving it.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Sara-s likes this.
  10. swarden43

:signs011:

Sara-s likes this.
  11. peruse the soap section at maggards or west coast.. alot of shave cream these days from "artisans" seems to be a result of them spilling it into their morning oatmeal

12. swarden43

And...?
    If it works for them and they like it...
    If you don't like it, fine. You're not forced to buy it or even use it. Don't tell people what they should or shouldn't use simply based on your likes or dislikes.

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.
    And that goes for everyone.

chazt and Sara-s like this.
  13. intersting... if enjoying a shave their way goes for everyone, why you so happy harping on me that im a "soap snob" for liking REAL soap.

14. swarden43

I can't help but get the impression that you feel that if people are not shaving with what is a "real" soap by your definition of what makes a soap "real", then they are not really shaving.
    Yes. I did call you a soap snob, but it was with hopes you would take it as intended at the time, tongue in cheek. Sorry the little emojie failed to convey that.