DIY Solid Hair Conditioner Bar

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Sara-s, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Aftter discovering shampoo bars, I also found that I liked solid conditioner bars as well. They are easy to take on trips, conserve water and work well on my thick, curly hair. One company even sold DIY kits to make them. I liked this, as I could make it unscented or add a scent of my own choosing. (Also, I just love making stuff.). But, alas, they stopped selling the kits, so with a little research, I learned to make my own.

So here is the recipe;
    Ingredients;
    15 gm (30%) Cocoa butter - I use unscented, but that is a matter of preference.
    15 gm. (30%) Incroquat (a.k.a. BTMS 50) - a fatty alcohol that smooths & detangles hair
    10 gm. (20 %) Cetyl alcohol- plant-based emulsifying wax
    10 gm. (20%) skin-safe oil- e.g. Sweet almond, grape seed, jojoba, olive, etc.

There are many sources for the ingredients. So far, the least expensive I have found is www.lotioncrafter.com

Optional Ingredients;
    Colorant (soap or lip colorants work fine)
    Scent-5 ml/1 tsp essential oil of your choice
    Other stuff that's good for hair, such as silk protein or Honeyquat. They add shine.

Equipment;
    Kitchen scale
    Measuring spoon
    Double boiler
    flexible soap mold or twist-up tube. (I prefer to use the tube, but that's a matter of choice.)

Weigh ingredients and melt over low heat, in a double-boiler. Stir frequently. (You may notice a fishy smell, while heating, but this will go away.). Once the mixture is melted, add scent, if you want. Pour into the mold or tube and allow to set. You can put it in the freezer, to set it.
    To use, stroke it over your hair and then massage it in.. Allow to sit for about a minute and then rinse.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    maltedmilk and swarden43 like this.