DIY Tend Skin Recipe

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Mojorisin35, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mojorisin35

Mojorisin35 Active Member

Found this on the Internet and thought other DIY selfers would appreciate it.

DIY Tend Skin recipe:

solution 1: 18 tablets uncoated aspirin, dropped into 5 oz. rubbing alcohol let sit until aspirin dissolves .

solution 2: 8 tablets uncoated aspirin.dropped into 2.5 oz. witch hazel let sit until aspirin dissolves.

combine the two solutions.

Add your essential oil of choice (hint mint is out of this world)

the aspirin will settle a bit, so shake it before use.

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I'm really glad you posted this. I looked for a good recipe for this some time ago but wasn't satisfied. Where did you get your non-buffered, non-coated aspirin?

3. Mojorisin35

Most generic or store brands are uncoated as well baby aspirin however one baby aspirin only contains 85mg so you need to up the number of pills in the recipe. FYI a standard aspirin is 325mgs.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. Mojorisin35

I also gave myself a serious case of ingrown hairs when I first started DE shaving and came across a paste that kicked in grown hairs/razor bumps butt.
    Aspirin can help reduce redness and inflammation, the two most common symptoms of ingrown hair. The anti-inflammatory property of aspirin reduces swelling, fights inflammation and treats mild infection. Plus, the salicylic acid present in aspirin scrubs away dead skin to loosen the offending hair.

Ingrown Hair Paste.
    1. Soak two -3 aspirin tablets in one teaspoon of warm water until it forms a paste-like consistency.
    2. Add one teaspoon of honey to the paste.
    3. Apply the paste to the affected area.
    4. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and then gently pat the skin dry.
    5. Follow this remedy once or twice a week as needed.
    Note: Those with highly sensitive skin should not follow this remedy.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  5. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

This recipe is fantastic. I've added a few more aspirin to spice it up plus glycerin, vitamin e oil, and tea tree oil. I've added it to both my day and nighttime beauty routines. I have uber curly hair, so it keeps the random ingrown hairs(not from shaving) down.

6. Mojorisin35

Thanks! I am glad it's working for you, and it looks like you are on your way to a complete custom recipe share the proportions if you would.! I mix mine up in a Vitamix and it pulverized the aspirin good. I love the mint blast I put in mine.

7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I did the whole basic recipe of separating the aspirin in the alcohol and witch hazel and then eventually tossed in 4 more aspirin(didn't think it was concentrated enough), and just added like 20 drops of Trader Joe's 24kIU Vitamin E Coil, 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil, a few splashes of Pure Aloe gel, and a few drops of glycerin. I'm trying to keep it scentless. It sits in an 8oz spray bottle. I've had it for a couple months and use it everyday 2 or 3 times, and I still haven't needed to make a new batch. It was very haphazard the way I made that recipe. I literally was just dumping fix-ins without much thought. Ended up pretty good. Pretty sweet considering that it only cost me

$1.44(16 oz generic WH)+$1.80(32oz jug of 70% iso)+$0.99(180 tablets of 325mg Aspirin)+$1 for a spray bottle. The other fix-ins I already had.

I think I wanna double the TTO in the next batch to get those antiseptic properties boosted.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Mojorisin35 likes this.
  8. ghorn11

ghorn11 New Member

Did you typically do this post shave? After or before an AS? Thanks for the post!

9. Mojorisin35

I personally do it post shave before I apply after shave. If I'm nursing ingrown hairs I use the paste when I wake up and when I go to bed.
    Gary

ghorn11 likes this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have been experimenting with some different aftershave routines on my scalp for the past 6 months or so, and Tend Skin is far and away the best aftershave solution for me. It works great for preventing ingrown hairs and keeping my folliculitis outbreaks at bay. Two problems. TendSkin is pretty expensive, especially when you are using it on your entire head. TendSkin doesn't smell very well, and I miss my Clubman.

I found some online recipes like this one to address the cost, but that doesn't address the scent. Rather than adding essential oils to add scent, has anyone tried just adding some asprin directly to an aftershave they already enjoy? I'm probably going to try some experiments anyway, but looking to see if there's any other existing wisdom out there I can draw from. I'm thinking I'll start with the recipe above and just replace the alcohol and witch hazel combinations for my Clubman (in a much smaller dosing just to try). If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try just substituting Clubman for the Alcohol and mixing with witch hazel and glycerin.

Anyone already try any of this? Any luck with it?

11. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

Garrett, you'll probably get a better sampling of people who have over at B&B.

I've read the only downside that comes from making your own (or adding it to aftershave as you suggested) is that some of the aspirin doesn't dissolve entirely, so you have little chunks of aspirin in the bottle. Personally, I wouldn't find it offensive, might take time to strain the mixture though.

12. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Every other shave, I use straight up Aloe Gel. It is 99% aloe vera. I get it from Trader Joe's. I keep it in the refrigerator which makes it feel even better on my face.

Greg W.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Spud likes this.