DIY Vapo-rub

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Sara-s, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Still fighting a case of bronchitis, so I decided to make my own Vapo-rub. I wanted to make it myself because A) I didn't have any and B) the real stuff contains petroleum jelly & turpentine.
    So here goes;
    Equipment
    Measuring spoon, small pot (to melt ingredients), small jar or tin, to store it

Ingredients;
    1 tbsp. Beeswax pastilles
    4 tbsp. Coconut oil or olive oil
    1/4 tsp. Eucalyptus EO
    1/4 tsp. Peppermint EO
    1/4 tsp. Rosemary EO

Melt beeswax & coconut oil together over low heat. Once melted, add EO's & stir.

Pour into a small jar or tin & allow to cool.
    If you are making it for children , use half the amount of each essential oil.

2. Entasis

Entasis Member

May I ask your results based upon comparison of the two (other than the disadvantages already listed pertaining to ingredients)? Thank you.

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I was mainly motivated by the petroleum jelly & turpentine. As for effectiveness, they seem to work about equally well. To be truthful, I was also motivated by boredom and the fact that I could make this from things I already had in the house.

DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Entasis

Entasis Member

I like what you have accomplished and intend to produce some myself based on your information and formula. Thank you.

Regards,
    Jim

Sara-s likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good job. I too make things, on my own, out of boredom. But, Vicks Vapor Rub has its uses, as does turpentine.
    I heard, about a home remedy for toenail fungus, many years ago, using Vicks. I don't suffer from it, but I found my father does. He tried many different prescription medications, and nothing worked. I convinced him to use the Vicks, and within a there it was very evident it w a s working. A few months of using it cured the nail fungus.
    To cure the toenail fungus, just apply generously to the entire nail, and under the front part of the nail, before bedtime, and wear socks. Then once, before the start of your day(morning).
    This worked for him, as well as another relative.

Robyflexx and Sara-s like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I read about that too. I also read that it can be used for muscle pain like icey hot...and it's true, I tried it and it worked! :)

7. DaltonGang

I wouldn't use it like Icey Hot for muscle pains, only because Vicks has Petroleum Jelly in it, and would ruin my cloths and furniture.

8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Well I used it on my arms at home where I wear tank tops and shorts all the time till I went shopping again. In a pinch it works. My furniture is all leather which for me cleans easily so that's not a concern to me. As always, YMMV and all that jazz.....:rolleyes:

9. DaltonGang

Well heck plus plus. Helps the arm, and conditions the furniture, at the same time.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've also read that Vick's is good for toenail fungus. . I don't know what ingredient (or ingredients) in real Vapo-rub make that work, so I wouldn't assume that my homemade stuff could be used that way. But as a decongestant, my recipe works really well.

Robyflexx likes this.