DMT Dia-Sharp Sharpening Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, Jul 19, 2008.

1. xChris

xChris Member

I wanted to see how the DMT hones are working out for other forum members? I've used mine a few times now, and really like them. I like the DMT8EE better than my Norton 4K/8K too. I bought a full set of the 8X3 stones (120, 325, 600, 1200, 8000 or XX, C, F, E, EE) from Craftsman Studio.

I usually use the DMT8E to establlish a bevel, and get it where it will shave hair off my arm (plus the TPT to check for progress). I then move on to the DMT8EE until I get a nice bright scratch pattern under a RadioShack microscope @ 100X. Finally, I'm using a Woodcraft Chinese 12K to polish up the edge for shaving.

So, who else is using these diamond hones, and what's your opnion on them?

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice,

I got a couple a few weeks back, but..........

.....I only have the 325 and the 1200, the 325 is great for lapping hones the 1200 works well after the 325 on the hones...I have yet to set a bevel on the 1200 as most of my blades are good right now.

I look forward to giving the 1200 a try for setting some bevels.....I am sure it will feel a lot different than the Norton 1K.

I was tempted to try the DMT 8K...glad to hear it works well :cool:

I also grabbed mine from Craftsman Studios, fast shipping and great service :happy005

3. RayG

RayG New Member

The 1200 is a workhorse, especially for (except the very worst, which you probably should not buy anyway) ebay razors - makes quick work of setting bevels, and even for honing out small nicks.

I started out with the 8K, and I like it. But since I got my coticules from Howard, I admit I have not used it much. I find it cuts very quickly and is a bit trickier to control because of this. Works very nicely for SS razors, though, IME.

I need to get a 325 for lapping...

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

325 here for Lapping hones...as well as QUICK bevel setting. Its a good plate..wouldnt be without it.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Good to hear they're working for you. Personally I don't own and tehrefore don't use one, I mainly use natural hones :)

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Chris,

How do you like the 8K DMT, how does it compare to the Norton 8K or similar stones?

7. xChris

xChris Member

It works as advertised. So far, I'm not completely sure I see a big difference between the Norton 8K and the DMT 8K as far as edge development.

I've only honed something like 6 razors on the DMT. I'm not seeing a problem with edge chipping either from the DMT. I have also gone from the DMT 1.2K straight to the DMT 8K without fuss. A distinct advantage is that you just lay out the DMT, spritz it with some soapy water, and hone; no extensive lapping/flattening either. However, the Norton does require soaking; it also needs frequent lapping to keep it performing.

I'm using a Chinese 12K as my finishing stone right now, and the results again seem comparable at the moment between the Norton & DMT.

HTH

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Chris,

Great info, I would like to try one at some point.....I like that you can jump straight to the 8K from the 1200....that can be a time saver :)

Next stone for me to try will be a Chinese 12K :cool:

Thanks again,

Neale

9. Navaja

Navaja Member

DMT-8E

I use a DMT-8E to establish a bevel and then move to a yellow coticule.

From there I go to the 1 micron 3M Micro Abrasive paper.

Now I'm in the process of building a paddle strop to be used with Chromium Oxide.

This set up gives me the latitude I think I need for my razors.

10. Blade

Blade Member

I like the DMT 1200 for bevel-setting and find that as mine has 'settled-in' I can go straight to a BBW or even coticule from it, as the finish is so good. Must try the 8K! I too finish a lot of blades off on the Chinese 12K - surely one of the best hones of its type for the money, maybe any money!

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I have a DMT 1200 on the way, but it's the 4" version as I purchased it as a slurry-stone for my japanese natural hones (and others). Might have to try it as a bevel-setter too, 4" is a tad short but it's okay for a test :D