Do aftershaves dry your skin out?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by tazorac, Oct 9, 2016.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I've never been an aftershave user besides witch hazel...so the question is posed to you aftershaves users...doesn't it dry your skin out?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Karl G likes this.
  2. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Ginger's Garden aftershave formula is very moisturizing.

Karl G likes this.
  3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

That depends entirely on your skin. It certainly does not dry my skin out because my skin is extremely oily. I shave with soap and splash on AS and head to work. No other treatments, oils or products. Some people need oil and soap and no AS because it will strip their skin of all oil and cause drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Karl G likes this.
  4. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Not really but I also use a moisturizer after I finish my shave & AS. I live where there's a lot of sun so I use an SPF moisturizer (Jack Back) to keep everything balanced.

Karl G likes this.
  5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I used Aqua Velva for most of my life and it absolutely dried my skin out. It also made my skin feel really right, which is awful immediately following a shave. I always used a face cream after applying aftershave.

Then I discovered shaving forums and I learned that other options actually exist. I ended up trying Beaver Woodwright aftershave as my first alternative to Aqua Velva and it was fantastic. It didn't dry out my skin at all. I can't wait to try Ginger's Garden Suede next based on bscarpenter's review in another thread. I might couple these with some higher quality aftershave balm than what I currently use for even more moisturizing.

Karl G likes this.
  6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

No, quite the opposite. If I don't use aftershave my skin will be dry and tight after shaving, especially so on a dry or windy day. I've used Old Spice for many years and it does a great job.

Karl G and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

There are a few that will dry your skin out, but that is easily fixed. If you like the scent, and it will not moisturize enough, just add a few drops of Glycerine to the aftershave bottle, and shake. The alcohol will keep the glycerine dissolved, so no need to shake before each use. Helpful hint. Start with only a couple of drops. Wait 15 minutes, and feel your face. Is its still dry feeling, add more, a little at a time. You can always add more Glycerine, but you cannot take it out, when you've added too much. I've turned some mediocre aftershaves into stellar ones with a few glycerine drops. .

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Me? No.

gorgo2, Karl G and BigMike like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No. Soap dries skin out.

gorgo2, Karl G and BigMike like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Correct, it's just that some aftershaves do not hydrate.

Karl G and Omaney like this.
  11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Some splashes dry out, some doesn't. I avoid the ones that do.

Karl G and Demidog like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The aftershaves that I use are all alcohol based, yet I feel that they do not dry out my skin. However, my skin tends to be naturally oily and that might be why I do not have an issue.

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  13. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

I haven't had a problem with aftershave drying my skin. I'll get that problem during the winter, but so far no dry skin for me.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  14. Demidog

I'm surprised at the number of people saying that alcohol based aftershaves don't dry out their skin. I did a quick search and I didn't find any scientific sources, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of some aftershaves causing dryness, and a lot of those new age hippie sites are especially critical of SD alcohol, ethyl alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol.

Soap does indeed dry out the skin but I definitely feel like my cheaper aftershave exacerbates the dryness. I checked the ingredients and Aqua Velva primarily uses SD alcohol, although it does contain glycerin as well. My current aftershave balm uses cetearyl alcohol, which is used in commercial moisturizers - it's certainly not the most effective balm and I probably won't be buying it again any time soon, but it's much kinder to my skin than the Aqua Velva.

I'm not a chemist and I've been out of school for quite some time, so if any vendors or actual chemists can chime in, I'm curious to hear more details about how the various alcohols interact with our skin and impact moisture levels. For the most part, I have extremely dry skin and I absolutely have to use a moisturizer after shaving. The fancier artisan aftershave that I have apparently has aloe and witch hazel, and I feel like I can get away without following it up with a balm/moisturizer, but if I don't use a balm or cream after applying Aqua Velva, my skin becomes as dry as a desert.

Karl G likes this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Alcohol does in fact absorb water. For those that remember"dry gas" the gasoline additive for preventing gas lines from freezing: Is methyl alcohol. Alcohols are readily used in the chemical industry to absorb (dry) moisture from equipment, especially after cleaning with water. And it does in fact dry the skin. 38 years in the chemical /pharmaceutical industry is all the proof I need. With that said I regularly use as.

16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I will gobthe opposite direction of most people to answer this since it seems you have a different (or maybe, particular) skin type. Instead of telling you ones that dry the skin out, iI will give you a couple that are VERY hydrating.

In no particular order, here we go:

A) Geo. F. Trumpers skin food. It is found in multiple scents, I recommend the sandalwood. It is reviewed very highly as well...which is how I found it.

B) Proraso white line balm AS. I may have lied...this may be my #1 choice. It costs about 10 bucks and performs favorably with the other 2 I am listing, though they are many times nore in cost. It has a great scent of oatmeal and green tea, but very light. I foubd out about it through a barber. He told me that most every barber and stylist he knew used it. I looked online, and the reviews all said it was incredible...along with several barbers who reviewed it! It was/is a no-brainer.

C) Truefitt and Hill. It vomes in multiple scents, but I favor the 1805 or Grafton. Awarded as the oldest barbershop in the world, T&H's nsme speaks for itself. All of their priducts are top quality, but I truly feel that their aftershave balms (along with their phenomenal pre-shave oil) are market leaders. They are the most expensive in my list, but they are also very classy and wirth every penny. I like to use their products when I feel like going old school eith a straight razor and badger brush.

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My skin feels dry and fairly tight if I don't use balm after shaving. I use witch hazel religiously and often mix in a little aftershave to get some scent. Sometimes I'll apply witch hazel and then the aftershave once the witch hazel has dried. But I always end with Nivea balm. I've tried going without it and my face just feels uncomfortable.

As always, YMMV! I wish I could just splash on some aftershave and go with it, but that's not the case.

Karl G, PickledNorthern and Demidog like this.
  18. Demidog

Thanks for the suggestions. Some aftershaves are cost prohibitive at this juncture unfortunately, but I've actually been eyeing the Proraso balms and even the splashes. I've also been looking at Stirling balms and Ginger's Garden splash.

On one hand, I love splashes and I prefer them over balms. They're quick and easy to apply, and I feel like they actually works as disinfectants. With winter coming up soon however, I might have to set aside the splashes and just stick solely to balm. If I like the Proraso or Stirling balms enough, then maybe I can learn to live without a splash. Even though I've spent more years than I can count with Aqua Velva, it doesn't seem to be the best option for my skin. Maybe I'll keep a bottle around to use once in a blue moon for the sake of nostalgia, but for now I'm looking forward to trying more moisturizing options.

Karl G likes this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I really love aqua velva, and I consider it to be a "go-to" for me. I have never had any drying issues with it, however.

I should have mentioned Stirling, as their balms are also fantastic and priced right. They are currently changing out their formula and have been deeply discounting all of their balms as well as putting free balm samples in customers orders. (I received a FREE balm with each of my last two orders).

If on a budget, proraso and stirling are easily the best. Below is a killer deal on a stirling balm on their website. I have that very one, and it smells great and works very well. It is marketed to women, but I dont really find it to be a womans scent, so don't let that scare you away.

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/sale-items/

Screenshot_2016-10-11-15-10-58.png

20. Demidog

$4 for a balm is a steal. I'd go ahead and buy it up right now but I'd really like to finish my current balm first and I'm also pretty dead set on getting the Executive Man scent as well as the unscented balm for those occasions when I want to use an aftershave splash.

Karl G likes this.