do any of you get BBS closeness when shaving WTG only?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by grampi, Dec 5, 2008.

1. grampi

grampi Member

Just curious if it's even possible?

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Not a chance for me.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Yes but requires more passes and blade buffing. With beard growth patterns though it's tough to stick to just WTG. A lot of people do N-S or E-W passes which means you get mixed WTG & XTG passes mixed together.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

No way, Jose.

Good, passable and comfy shaves, yes.
    But BBS aint happenin with WTG alone.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

[Passes Rick the ACD-N with Super Pro Blade]...here try this and see what happens. :D

6. rick

What the ????? .............. you talkin a foreign language now, SM !!

7. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

BBS WTG?!? Negative!!

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. grampi

grampi Member

The reason I'm asking is because I'm afraid I won't either, but how will I know when I'm ready to attempt going ATG? It's kind of like the skier whose trying to figure out when the time is right to launch off of the long jump ramp. I'm afraid to try ATG as I don't want to end up in the ER. :redface:

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You'll do fine. Just go slow, lighten up even more, short strokes only. The tricky part is usually the angle since you are probably reversed to your normal stroke pattern.

11. rick

Stay away from the ATG until your technique is decent.

N-S WTG and XTG for awhile and youll be fine.

The only time I go for BBS is when Lovie and I are afforded some time to get reaquainted :love055

BBS About 2-3 times per month and I give my mug a day off in between

12. grampi

grampi Member

How bad was your first attempt ATG? Did you end up with any cuts, nicks, or road rash?

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Moderate road rash. Heavy hand.

14. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I am as smooth as silk with the grain when I shave with the grain. If I want smoothness across the grain or against the grain, I must shave across the grain or against the grain.

15. grampi

grampi Member

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you get smooth as silk going WTG, why then would you ever need to go XTG or ATG?

16. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

BBS is BS for me. I do fine with 2 WTG passes and one ATG pass. Not too many whiskers survive past that.

When I have tried to get a BBS shave, I get more irritation than it's worth and I look exactly the same.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is How I am too.,. BBS is a myth....

Fuzzy

18. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Because I like to feel smooth as silk from any direction, not just one

19. grampi

grampi Member

20. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

You'll know you're ready for ATG when you're getting passable shaves WTG/XTG and one day you'll decide "to heck with it" and go for it. I started with areas that aren't very sensitive (for me) -my sideburns and cheeks. Once I saw that I could do it and not cut my face off it was only a matter of time before BBS was upon me.