Do I need a stand for my brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Michelangelo, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Active Member

Thanks, swarden! I appreciate the confident advice from experienced wet shavers. What if the medicine cabinet has a 3 mm gap between the door and cabinet - do you think this would provide enough fresh air for the brush to dry? I'll have to try it out to be sure, but I want to avoid ruining my brush on the off chance that you would know the answer.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't believe there are many cabinets or closets in the home that are air-tight, but I still wouldn't store my brush in one.
    I have room on the top of my medicine cabinet to line up quite a few brushes - out in the open air and out of the reach of tiny hands.
    Do you have the wall space for a shelf?

3. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Active Member

Hmm... not really. It's a small bathroom with a double sink and 2 medicine cabinets crammed in there. The small amount of wall space is taken up by a hand towel ring and a 5x5 picture frame. I have halfway-recessed cabinets, so I may be able to fit the brush on top of the cabinet as well. I'll try that when I get home today.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'm another one who leaves mine up on top of the cabinet for at least 48 hours after use, then I put them into it so no one is tempted to touch them. Seems to give enough time to air dry.

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I like mine hanging, but at first they just stood up. Now I have the used brush hanging on a combined stand with the razor. Looks nice and doesn't take up much real estate.

I haven't used either method long enough to notice any differences but the cheap-ass I am, should one brush fail prematurely I'll just order another Bestshave #6 and be done with it :)

Actually my handling of the brush before, under and after the shave will probably kill it before a wrong drying method will.

6. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Some tiny holes on the top won't help the ventilation?

7. Callum

Callum New Member

I was thinking this exact question! I think if I can find a nice cheep one I'll get one if not I'm sure it will be fine!

8. HUF

HUF Active Member

Neither a stand nor storing upside down is necessary. Marketing gimmicks...

9. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I hang whatever brush that I'm currently using on a stand simply to tidy up the counter and keep it out of the cabinet when damp, but I don't think it dries any faster than setting it down with the hair pointed up.
    Back in the day I think guys used to leave the brushes in their mug and that would cause hair to curl.

10. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

Desiccants. Like the little packets labelled "do not eat" that often accompany packaged electronics, shoes, and all sorts of items negatively affected by moisture. Put some desiccant pouches or gel in the medicine cabinet and your brushes will have a less-damp environment to hang out in, away from little hands. You can find all kinds of products on Amazon (or the site of your choice) with a quick search.

Doryferon and Michelangelo like this.
  11. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

After I dry mine as well as I can after using it I store it bristles up on my dresser until I use it the next morning. I also store my soap and razor along side it so they can finish drying. It helps to keep them out of a humid bathroom.

Clayton

12. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Newbie, chiming in...if I may; I know that there is a lot of debate on how toproperly dry your brush. I can't speak to that because, honestly I just don't know. However, until further notice, I will continue to dry my brush - bristles down. I'm in my infancy stage of WS, so although I'd like to buy a stand, I'm going to do without until I learn more about this hobby.
    I did read that a member in another forum, drys his brush using a rubberband. Wrap the rubberband around the top of an aerosol can or the bottom of an inverted glass and secure your wet brush - bristles down (or up) between the can/glass and the rubberband and presto! Instant brush stand...great for home and especially for traveling. Works for me in the interim. Ghetto-fab-u-lous!

13. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

14. Nikhil Naidu

Nikhil Naidu Member

If you use a cabinet you could dry off your brush with a towel and a synthetic brush. I use a paper napkin to squeeze water out if the brush ( about 50%dry) then use a synthetic brush and stuff it into the brush straight and slowly drag out. The synthetic brushes will absorb the water due to the slight static that will build up and that will dry it out a lot. After that place it in a small box with some dessicant packets or natural water absorbers like salt. Simple cheap and effective. My dads old badger brush has been pretty well maintained with this tech. Sadly we no longer have it as it was lost in a hotel. :(.