Do You Adjust Your Adjustable?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Truckman, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Truckman

Truckman New Member

...or do you leave it on the same setting throughout the shave?

I leave mine set on the same number throughout the shave, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd pass all on #4.

I've heard of others adjusting it throughout the shave: 1st pass on 9, 2nd pass on 5, 3rd pass on 3 or something thereabout.

So what do you do with your adjustable, and better yet - why?

Discuss...

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I tend to do the first pass in the middle of the adjustment range and dial up for the second and third passes. On a Fat Boy I'd start at 5 and dial up to 7 for the second pass and back down to 3 for the cheeks.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I SOLD mine fatboy.. sorry

Fuzzy

4. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I use a Gillette Slim Adjustable and I leave it on the same setting (#5) throughout the shave.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Entire shave on 3 or 4. That's where the Fatboy performs best (and it needs a VERY sharp blade).

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Let me add to this, too...

Do you use different settings for your different adjustables? I've found that my Slim has a very differently shaped head than my Fatboy, but I haven't used it enough to find the right setting - although I don't think it's going to be the same setting as my Fatboy.

7. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

This forum has a Fatboy expert from Atlanta named Shawn. I believe he sets his Fatboy on 1, then 9, then 6, then 9 again.

:D

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

:happy102:happy102:happy102
    Ha! Good one;)

I leave mine on 3 and it never moves....maybe is will try mixing things up a bit. I can shave on higher setting but just find it more comfortable at 3.

9. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I do first pass WTG on 9
    then second pass ATG on 1.
    and that is on my 1968 Slim Adjustable

10. grottolord

grottolord New Member

settings slim/fatboy

ive found the slim's head being of smaller elevation gives a closer shave , that being said i set either for 5wtg,7atg,9xtg and get very nice results,
    i may just like to play with the settings i could just leave it set to 9 as i like to "feel" the blade on the skin ( im also a Str8 shver and am used to blade on skin)
    hope all goes well
    Grottolord

11. joseywales

joseywales Member

I have the black handled adjustable. I was doing 5 - WTG, XTG, and for ATG. But I used a new Derby Extra and didn't get the lather right. ended up with a brief rash and after that I used 4 for all 3 passes today. I mention that because it didn't seem as close and I'll probably go back to 5x2, then 4 for the third pass. BTW, that's the nice thing about adjustables for newbies, IMHO. You can dial it down after a mistake, bad reaction, etc. Once I settle on a setting and blade, I'll probably look to match that with a "fixed", but I'll always hold on to an adjustable, or two.

To answer the question of whether the same # setting is different among different adjustable models, I can't imagine how it could not be different. In fact, I'll bet it varies, to some degree, on each indiviudal razor of the same model. I believe this to be true mostly because these razors were produced over various years and equipment (a new maching might be more accurate that a used, etc.). Also, these razors are "used" and with age comes wear, etc. and tolerances must surely change, allbeit ever so slightly in some cases. Someone with more experience can chime in, but I think it makes sense.

12. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

My Slim stays on 5 these days. There was a time when I would adjust it between passes, but have found that my particular razor is great if left on 5.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I get a good shave with all my adjustable razors set on 5, so that's where they stay.

14. JimR

JimR Active Member

I tend to leave my Futur on 1 for the first 3 shaves on a blade, then up to 2. I sometimes jump to 1.5 on my neck if I'm having stubble problems...

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I don't often adjust during a shave, but I do adjust. Depending on what kind of shave I am in the mood for, or what my face can handle, I choose different settings for the shave.

16. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Dials "9" everytime

Where'd ya think that one came from ???

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I try to stay on a setting of 3. But since I shave in the shower I usually change the blade right before I turn the water on. Which means I'm blind, and when I go to tighten down the doors of the razor, sometimes the dial gets bumped. But I can't see the numbers without my glasses, so.........<shrug>

Probably somewhere between 3-5 is my setting, I guess. I should go check that...............

18. Mojo88

Mojo88 New Member

For me it's 4.. 6.. 4. and on a weekend for a final pass I go to a 3 ..

19. dgkobs

dgkobs New Member

My 1963 Gillette adjustable stays on 5 for WTG & XTG most days and 3 ATG on weekends regardless of which blade I am using currently.

20. bbsupersport

bbsupersport New Member

Hi,
    I use a Merkur Progress and I have found a comfortable setting and leave it there for the entire shave.