Do you primarily use one cream or rotate different brands & scents?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Jostalli, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Do most shavers prefer to stick with one cream / brand or do you keep a variety of hand and rotate which you use. I have read that some like different scents based on the season.

2. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I'm more into soaps/croaps than creams, but I rotate about 15 of them. Seasons don't matter much to me, I rotate the same ones year round. Start at one end of the drawer that I keep them in and work to the other end. Variety - The Spice of Life.

entropy1049 and Bristle Me like this.
  3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I am currently on a Stirling kick. Stirling Sharp Dressed Man, Ben Franklin, and Ozark Mountain.

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I have 8 different soaps on hand at the moment. I plan to use some of them up and never buy them again. Others I plan to keep because I like to use different soaps, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, for different situations.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The only two creams I use Mem and Institut Karite, both more for performance than for scent.

I didn't know Stirling made a cream….;)

6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

.... -.- oops. Maybe I should have read it a bit better.

7. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I don't think I have ever used the same cream or soap twice in a row. I change it up every time I shave.

Slow Joe likes this.
  8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I rotate all of these to some degree.
    Van Der Hagen luxury soap
    Cella classica 1899
    TOBS Coconut cream
    TOBS Grapefruit cream
    Castle Forbes cedarwood & sandalwood cream
    The Body Shop Maca Root cream
    The Gentlemen cedar cream
    The Gentlemen unscented cream

9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I only own 2 creams; Speick gets used every Saturday, while the Godrej Lemon-Lime gets into the rotation every other Tuesday (roughly).

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

no rotation
    there is a gob of products in my den. I search for inspiration, or I just pick.

imGrunt and Bristle Me like this.
  11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Cremes let me see
    1) Castle Forbes lavender
    2) Coates Rose, lavender & Almond
    3) DR Harris - Rose, Lavender & Windsor
    4) Arko Extra Perfomance, Ultimate comfort & Regular
    5) Proraso Blue
    6) Truffitt & Hill Rose, Trafalgar
    7) GFT Lavender
    8) Alvarez Gomez
    9) St James
    10) several Razorocks
    I probably missed a few- I set out what I want to shave with the night before in no particular order and 90% of the time I use one of these to make a ubelather. I know, I am a sick ticket

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Like Luteplayers, I'm more a fan of soaps than cremes, but I do have a few cremes that I like
    and I use them for different reasons.

Palmolive classic creme is my hands down favorite when traveling.
    It works well with hard water, soft water, or even Labatt beer. (don't ask...)
    The smell is fantastic.
    It's not overly expensive, so if I forget and leave it in a motel room, the bookkeeper won't beat me. (again)

Ingram crème is also good, but I've found it works best when bowl lathered.
    So, it stays at home. I like it mostly for its menthol goodness, and ultra clean
    smell. Mostly in the summer, I'm in the mood for an extra cool and clean menthol shave,
    and Ingram does that for me every time.

Proraso in the blue tube is the best crème I've ever used when skin care is of paramount importance.
    If I'm going to be outside all day, especially in cold/foul weather, there is no alternative to that blue tube of goodness.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I normally keep two soaps and two creams in the line up. When one is empty, I replace it. Being as I have a few years worth of soft goods in reserve, it is rarely the same one twice in a row.

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I gravitate towards soaps more than creams. I rotate through what I have and rarely do I use the same setup two days in a row.

15. Jostalli

Why do you prefer the soaps?

16. Jostalli

Why do you prefer soap more than creams?

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've got nine creams and soaps that I rotate on a weekly basis. If is get one I really don't like, I will pif it.

18. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I think they have a bit more cushion and slickness which I find beneficial as I shave mostly with straight razors. They seem more old timey to me as well.

Bristle Me and Jostalli like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: I use soaps with SRs 95% of the time.

Jostalli likes this.
  20. Jostalli

Thank you all for your responses. - I may need your support should I need marital counseling as I journey down the shaving road. ;)