Do You Still Own Your First Shaving Brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by william beer, Feb 21, 2019.

1. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure if this topic has been previously posted but I thought it would be of interest; just the same. I still own my first brush. An Ever-Ready #750 given to me by my father more than 55 years ago. Since my dad passed away it has become a daily reminder to me of him. It also inspired me to start back with wet shaving using a DE razor and now also SE razors. Because the brush was in pretty rough shape I decided to restore it and install a 21mm Premium Silvertip knot from TGN and set it at 50mm loft. Here's the final result. It still is my favorite brush amongst my collection of Simpsons and others.
    IMG_1771.JPG

2. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Very nice. I don't have my first brush as it was one of those Wilkinson Sword drugstore/supermarket cheapos. I threw it away after getting better quality boars from Omega and Semogue.

3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I haven't been wet-shaving long enough to brag about still having my first shaving brush. However, my first one is now being used by my wife due to the tips being nice and broken in. It's the green handled VDH boar hair. Not a bad deal if you realize I bought the sucker for $5.50 at the PX.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Heirloom gear is the best! That is a handsome handle profile & looks great with the new knot installed.

I don't have my first brush. Passed it to a friend to get him started. It was on it's way to being broken in, but then I picked up a couple Omega brushes. Still have the O-Pro 98 and use it often. It wasn't much of a brush - Annie boar with a plain black plastic handle.

5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My first brush (and my second) were Old Spice branded brushes, about the same age as the one you have. I'm not sure, but the first one was likely made by Ever-Ready. It was an ivory color with a red base. My second was a turquoise wooden handle.
    I lost them both in a flood.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nope, my first brush was a VdH Boar that came as part of the Deluxe set. I tossed it after my wife bought me a Satin Tip, which I still use.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Hodge and 2 others like this.
  7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Mine as well and I still have it but don't use it.

8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Yup. A Pur-tech that I now use as a back up. Not a big brush guy still using my second ever brush. A Muhle Silvertip Fibre Synthetic.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Hodge and 3 others like this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Nope. VDH boar that I wore out and then I wore out a couple more. Good little brush and I still have a couple.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have no idea what mine was. Used it for about 10 years in Germany. It's long gone.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Hodge and 2 others like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yes-n-no
    I have been using a brush(wrongly) for the entire time I've been shaving my face. Some forty years. I was using a brush to apply cream or gel to my face. I used a green handle surrey boar for about 25 years, badly til the bristles fell out. then a second, exactly the same. Pretty much the same results. I have the second, the first was binned. I didn't know any forum was interested or existed.
    All this time, i had in my possession my granddad's rubberset 150, it was in sad shape. Gary C redone it for me, I use it from time to time. So yes i guess it was my first. But the workhorse of my working years got pitched. I guess no, for the point of the question.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I do. A Plisson synthetic which remains my go-to brush

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No, my first brush has long gone. The brand doesn't even exist anymore (Vero, who made great brushes until sometime in the 90's when the brand was sold and production moved to China).

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, BigD and 2 others like this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Like others, I started with the green handle VDH boar brush. Still have it but doesn't get used but about 2x a year.

15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My first brush was a VDH Boar Brush, it went away long ago. My second brush is a Whipped Dog
    Whipped Dog 30/65mm Silver Tip Badger Black & White Marbled Resin Handle *

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

No. The first brush I bought was a wooden handle Omega boar. I passed it to a friend a number of years ago as part of a kit to get him into DE shaving. Haven't seen or spoken to him since his wife passed a few years ago.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I still have my first brush, an inexpensive Parker outfitted with a black badger knot. My wife bought me my first wet shaving kit as a gift in 2014 and this was the brush.
    [​IMG]

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I still have the brush given to me when I started to shave in the mid-seventies. I’ll post a picture when I get back home.

19. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I forgot to say why my first brush went away. I gave it to a young man that was just starting to shave and said he wanted to try wet shaving. So I gave it to him along with the small bowel that came with it. I also gave him two pucks of VDH shaving soap and a Williams Shaving Mug Soap.

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While I don't use it anymore I still have my first brush also, a VDH boar. :happy088:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019