Do you think Dove may be testing the waters so to speak ?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by NapalmCola, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

LOL I was about to answer your questions, but now I guess you'll find out yourself!

NapalmCola likes this.
  2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

It smells light and clean and not overpowering. Thank you Shaverman.

NapalmCola and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  3. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Wow, I was gone for a couple days and our little subforum has grown . I'm behind in my review and it looks there will be a few more as well. Which is always welcomed. So here goes my quick review of the past shave with the tub of dove shave love.

I soak my cheap VDH boar brush while I use a hot towel for a minute or two. Used some home made pre shave oil. Threw in a new Voshkod blade (first time ever using one) in my 1959 Gillette flair tip. Opened the container and it smelled very mild. Clean. Loaded my brush and face lathered. My expectations were low, I assumed it would be a thin lather that would quickly disappear. Boy was I wrong ! The shave was close , smooth ,cut and irritation free. No problem with any gunk at all.
    It is not a strong scented soap. If that is what your looking for , pass on this one. I can't compare it to the 3 T's. I haven't had a chance to try any of the expensive premium soaps or creams yet. I have the C O Bigelow and two VDH pucks and this one now and that's it.

As for the quality of the over all shave. Let's just say it drew my wife's attention enough that she even asked me if I had bought a new razor because the shave was so close . I'm sure the new blade made difference as well.
    I would say if you come across it and the prices is right give it a try. I'm looking forward to reading other reviews and see how it turned out for them.

4. Mr. Shaverman

It's a very clean and pleasant scent. I thought it was strong, but not overpowering. I think it gets away with being strong but seeming not because it's a soap smell, if that makes sense. I really wanted to hate it. I expected to hate it. But upon bowl lathering it, I knew I wasn't going to hate it. It's kind of a thirsty cream, but it's also a rich cream. I don't know that I'd put it with a premium cream like TOBS, but being a cream guy I'd say it's one of the better creams out there.

If I'd paid the $20 Target full price for it, I would say it's a decent cream but not worth the price, but having only paid $2.99 for it, price is kind of removed from the equation. To me, a premium cream is really easy to lather and use. Like it's hard to not lather TOBS properly, it practically does it for you as soon as you open the lid. With the Dove you can get a good, thick lather from it, but you're going to work a little harder to do it, and there's going to be a little bit of a learning curve due to the thirstiness. The end result is still pleasing, it just takes a bit more to get there.

5. NapalmCola

Very well said .

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  6. NapalmCola

Hi Chevyguy,
    Just checking to see if you had a chance to give it a try . If so what did you think ? Keep us posted my friend.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Thank you, kind sir!

I used it again today, this time doing a face lather with it. An enjoyable shave, and I have to say I'm really digging the balm. I may go back and get a spare. :)

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  8. chevyguy

I used it this morning and I think it is a lot like TOBS's creams. I facelathered up a thick cushiony lather that left my face feeling really good with no irritation. It's well worth the $2.99 I paid at Grocery Outlet. I'm glad I bought two tub's

Clayton

9. chevyguy

Did you guys notice this cream has Tallow in it.

Clayton

NapalmCola likes this.
  10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

agree..love the balm and use it after every shave

Mr. Shaverman and NapalmCola like this.
  11. NapalmCola

That's what I forgot to go back and by, the balm.
    Sounds of footsteps going down stairs then into car. Sounds of car returning and footsteps coming back up stairs. Gets back on form.
    Dang it, I got so carried away and rushed out, I didn't check the time. The store was closed. looks like I have to wait until tomorrow to buy and try. haha.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  12. chevyguy

I may go back and get another bottle of the balm.

Clayton

NapalmCola likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The (German) founder of the "De Duif" soap factory (origin of the Dove brand) was banned from the Netherlands after the first world war, and spent the remainder of his life in Switzerland. The factory was disowned, and was bought by Unilever in 1924.

Edit: there are still some remnants of the "De Duif" history visible in Den Dolder.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    NapalmCola likes this.
  14. chevyguy

I received a totally bbs shave today from my Feather MR3 and the Dove Expert Shave Cream. I like this cream. Tomorrow I'm going to use my TOBS Peppermint SC and do a comparison shave to see how close the two creams are.

Clayton

Double Edge Dougy and NapalmCola like this.
  15. NapalmCola

Thanks to richgem I was able try out the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows with the Dove shave cream. I used one of my most consistent razors, My 59 flare tip. The closeness reminded me of the Voshkod just not quite as close and I did get minor irritation on the areas I had to touch up with extra passes. The Voshkod was completely irritation free. It was closer than the Dorco St-301 though.
    I am excited to try the 7 O'clock s with the dove shave cream in a few of my other razors and see how they differ.
    Thanks again richgem

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    richgem likes this.
  16. chevyguy

I think I found the sweet spot with the MR3 as it gave me another bbs shave, this time with the TOBS Peppermint cream. The Taylors is thicker coming out of the jar, and it is thirstier. However once you get the lather where you want it and get to the shave I think the Dove, and Taylor's are equal. They both give a comfortable protective shave that leave your face feeling great.

Clayton

NapalmCola likes this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

NapalmCola likes this.
  18. NapalmCola

Thanks Shaver X .

I did see that tube for sale when I purchased the tub of dove. I may be incorrect but from what I can see the above linked tube is from there "pro" line. The tub i purchased is from there "expert" line. I'm not sure what the difference is though. Maybe just the price ? The marketing strategies? What ever the difference is the "pro " series seems to be currently produced and readily available. Where the "expert" series seems to have been discontinued and mostly only in clearance stores or online.
    One sells for well under $10 and other from what I'm reading here sold/sells for around $30. That may be why one is on the the men's grooming shelf and the other is in the clearance bin. Assuming they are not the same product.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Shaver X likes this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The cream in Walgreen's is Sensitive+ People Moisture Shave Cream. Here are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Tallow Acid or Palmitic Acid, Lauric Acid, Sodium Isethionate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-14M, Etidronic Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylisothiazolinone, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

Does the the Expert Shave cream have the same ingredients?

NapalmCola likes this.
  20. NapalmCola

That's a lot a of typing, let me go snap a picture.
    [​IMG]