Do you trust public swimming pools?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Apr 13, 2019.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wait... are you saying that dogs can't wear diapers if that's their own lifestyle choice?! I mean really! :think002:

2. richgem

The interesting thing about our immune system is that it generally needs to be primed to act (challenged) by means of exposure to various types of the bad stuff. Thus, particular bad things (bacteria, viruses, cooties) will be recognized as foreign more quickly at the next exposure, attacked more quickly, and (usually) exterminated faster. This is one reason that young kids tend to get sick so often; their immune systems haven't been sufficiently "educated" yet as to what to attack and what to ignore. So, from an immunological perspective there really is such a thing as being too clean.

All that said, I'm not sure I'd want to go in a public pool knowing the nasty habits (and accidents) of some folks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Frijolero, Keithmax, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

old george wasn't off the mark..

Hembree and Enrico like this.
  4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I used to think pool water was gross, but it grew on me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nobody here is advocating being a pathological germaphobe, covering themselves with hand sanitizer and wearing surgical masks every time they go out the front door (not without some weakened immune condition, anyway).

But there's a big difference between that extreme, and deliberately immersing yourself in an environment that is far more potentially infectious, or at least is far more contaminated, than you would normally encounter day to day. Going to a buffet is enough of a roll of the dice these days. Stripping down and diving face first into the equivalent of other people's bathwater it's something else.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  6. brit

brit in a box

i have been a professional auto mechanic since 1990. under hood jobs are one thing with grease ,oil, fuel, and coolant to get absorbed into ones system .cuts,scrapes is the norm..add rust,battery acid, rodent feces and other nasties and that's the norm too. then there's the interior jobs, heater core, heater fans, bulbs,seat repairs..to name a few.now the real nasties appear, saliva,snot ,feces,
    various other unmentionable bodily fluids,cold germs ,virus' dead skin,spoiled food and drink spills,and general garbage build up are the norm..and you can't see a lot of it..add the cuts and scrapes that happen more on sharp interior panels in confined spaces..then there's the mold and dust that appears on seat belts and seats and carpets in parts cars we use frequently to keep our clients on the road..that's my day..working on/in a petri dish on wheels.a cooling swim in a serviced pool is the least of my worries..

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I also have had the privilege to be exposed to the same working in construction and environmental geology (landfills). Add to that living in a country where the population hovers just short of 50%with HIV and tending to the needs of infected children with oozing sores. I also lived where we daily saw cobras, asps, and other vipers up close and personal.

People asked getting sick and dying? My response is "My boss watches over me every second and has an amazing benefit package"

BTW skin is an incredible barrier (invented and patented by my boss).

Have a great day! :eatdrink013:

Frijolero, gorgo2, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@OP-There’s a lot stuff that’s gross, but not unsafe. If the pool is outdoors so the sun hits it and is heavy chlorinated, it’s fine. Chlorine will kill the AIDS virus. If the water is noticeably dirty ( not an intense blue color-that’s the chlorine)and or indoors so sun won’t hit it, I avoid it. I deal with ,and have to be certified in , sanitizing mixtures,levels, and procedures at work.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Having worked in food-service for a few years, I would bet that you're safer in a public pool. At least they dump chlorine in the water. You do NOT want to know what goes on in a professional (term used VERY lightly) kitchen. :rolleyes005:

10. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

And that my friend is why I only had one kitchen job.

Frijolero, Keithmax, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

12. richgem

13. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy097::happy097::happy097::happy097::happy097:

brit likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’ve used public pools with nary a problem. If it looks clear & smells of a bit of chlorine, it should be fine.

Frijolero, gorgo2, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

Frijolero, gorgo2, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

only if they are wearing lumberjack shirts..;)

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Smart fellow.

18. richgem

" she's a lumberjack but, she's okay..."

Frijolero and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

:rofl:

Frijolero likes this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Wouldn’t they wear lumber JILL shirts?

Frijolero, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.