Doctor Who Series 9 is about to start ... anyone going to watch?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Eeyore, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Exter-mi-nate!
    Exter-mi-nate!

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

It's becoming a pattern ... a bad episode followed by one that is much better.

This week's episode even reminded me of Tom Baker at some points!

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

How have I missed this thread! Huge whovian here!

Eeyore likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

In that how do you feel about Capaldi's doctor, the sunglasses, guitars, etc?

I know there's normally a 'warming up' period whenever a new doctor is introduced and I have never really had too much of an issue accepting a new one but there is just something extremely unlikable, to me, in his take on the dear doctor.

5. youngunn

I really like capaldi... But this recent introduction of the guitar and sunglasses is just silliness. I don't like it but its not making me not watch either. I think it's just capaldi making the doctor his own in my opinion, with of course moffats help. (Since capaldi is an old punk musician)

But I think he's a breath of fresh air from smiths goofy doctor and I love how he constantly digs on Clara and makes fun of her. Hate Clara.

Tdmsu, dscaver and Eeyore like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The guitar is cool. Ditch the sunglasses. And Clara too! ;)

youngunn likes this.
  7. youngunn

I really disliked this entire zygon episode... Both invasion and inversion. Boring with only a couple high points each episode.

8. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Clara may be getting near the end of her time anyway, she has been around quite awhile now. At least Danny is gone, that is the one that I disliked the most. It is kind of nice that Missy is back in some of the episodes; I really hate that character. It is nice seeing her get shot down toward the end of the show. I know the guitar and sonic sunglasses are silly, but they are nothing like the silly crap that Matt Smith used to pull off.

Does anyone miss Professor River Song, I do.

Dave

Tdmsu and youngunn like this.
  9. youngunn

River song is confirmed to be back for Christmas episode... Most people aren't happy about it as the river song / melody pond saga is convoluted and confusing as it is.

Eeyore and Tdmsu like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My short takes:
    River Song: I'm rather indifferent about having her return or not. Meh.
    Danny: Super thrilled he's gone.
    Clara: I'd want her around for pure eye candy. Is she annoying and not really developing as a character anymore? Sure. Is she hot? Yes :)
    Missy: Really annoying over acting. She's in the same annoying category as Danny as far as I'm concerned.
    Capaldi's Who: Ugh.

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I thought the conclusion of the Zygon episodes was ok, but I disliked the MiB style memory wiping. The glasses are not growing on me.
    I agree that the writers have not developed Clara very well at all, and she can certainly be annoying at times.
    I'm not a fan of Missy at all, and I felt like the River Song story was complete and did not need to be reopened.

Eeyore and Darkbulb like this.
  12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Not very impressed with the last episode. I guess it's all been said already, but I'm hoping it will get better.
    Maybe that means Moffat leaves, I don't know.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The exact words out of my mouth after last week's episode were "Well, that was lame.

And then I've had that dang song stuck in my head all week.

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Maybe it was because we already knew she was going to leave, but her "departure" was slightly anticlimactic. Looking forward to next week though.

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I am still not convinced. I would not be surprised if they brought her back on a technicality.

16. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if Clara comes back, I can't think of any of the companions that have died. And look how Rose Tyler and Sara Jane Smith (before Elisabeth Sladen died) keep showing up in new episodes.

Dave

Tdmsu likes this.
  17. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

GAAAH! They killed a companion! NO companion dies!

I knew the and Clara Oswald had to exit because the actress was moving to other work. But die? that was unexpected. And slooowwly. I read the show took flak in UK for being too harsh for the millions of kids who are fans, airing it before 9pm.

The writers and Peter Capaldi have created a very dark story arc, I think it is too grim for the series and for kids. In that episode the enemy was a human and the actor declared "I am not The Doctor.", vowing revenge and death, far away from the persona of William Hartnell, the friendly white-haired gent in a tuxedo.

It is a jarring follow-up, the light hearted Christmas special with The Doctor flirting with River Song, daughter of a companion. Great character, and Alex Kingston handles it beautifully:

Everyone is drinking tea in a seance dream sequence, River produces champagne in an ice bucket for herself:
    companion: "How do you do that?"
    RS: "Disgracefully."
    The Name of The Doctor

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Tdmsu and Eeyore like this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Now I have to watch next week as well!

Edit: you definitely should watch this episode twice.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Since no one said it yet ... I had expected a lot more Gallifrey, and a lot less Clara.

Turned out it was the other way around ...

youngunn and Tdmsu like this.
  20. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I agree. Too much Clara. Let her die already.
    I hope they don't make a spinoff of those two in the diner. I'd rather see a female doctor.