Does anyone know the ingredients for Old Spice After Shave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by RonKL, Feb 4, 2017.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I won't say that because their ingredients are not the same as OS.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were in fact higher quality...but I was talking about the scent, rather than the actual formula, so I guess I was a bit off topic.

The old spice formula has been changed at least three times over the years, and probably more.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

I'm not saying this is 100% accurate, but the formula used in Old Spice from India is "supposed" to contain the same ingredients, or made as close as possible as the original. Some say yes, some say no. I won't know for sure til I get an original full bottle, which hopefully will be soon from a friend and compare them when I get a bottle from India.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  4. RonKL

RonKL New Member

I'm surprised that no one even tried to make a homemade 'Old Spice' in the Shave Den forums.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Projector and Gamble changed the India Old Spice scent too. I have some, Rubicon India. It was supposed to be the same, but it is not anymore. I bought some that was before the change, and it w s great. Now it's just not good, like "Original Old Spice".
    The best and least expensive way to get the Vintage Shulton Old Spice scent is to buy the vintage stuff.
    Avon Spicy is a close smell, not exactly, but very pleasant.
    Avon Brisk Spice is very close, but I've found it difficult to find, for a decent price.
    Rubicon India Old Spice, is not close anymore. It's more like the modern stuff now.
    Original Old Spice(P&G), just sux.

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. RonKL

RonKL New Member

I have some new Old Spice made in France, not even the same as the old Shulton mix. And the scent seems to only last about a 1/2 hour.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

I have some Avon Brisk Spice and it is very close as to what I remember from the last time I had an old bottle of Old Spice.

gorgo2 and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Well that was interesting.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097:

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris

Freshly-produced ambergris has a marine, fecal odour. However, as it ages, it acquires a sweet, earthy scent, commonly likened to the fragrance of rubbing alcohol, without the vaporous chemical astringency.[4] Although ambergris used to be very highly valued by perfumers as a fixative (allowing the scent to last much longer), it has now largely been replaced by synthetic ambroxan.

Urine, faeces and ambergris (that has been naturally excreted by a sperm whale) are waste products not considered parts or derivatives of a CITES species and are therefore not covered by the provisions of the Convention.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I am pretty sure MamaBears knows it. She is extremely gifted with fragrances. Maybe she can help you. She is very nice ! :) .

12. Grandmaster Kek

Grandmaster Kek New Member

Use some lemon and stuff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ahhh, I think there might be 1 to 20 more ingredients, than the two you listed. ;)

Hey there @Grandmaster Kek , why don't you head over to the Welcome Center forum, and tell us a little about yourself, and your shaving history.
    Welcome.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

"New" Old Spice-it may as well be called "New Spice".

Grandmaster Kek likes this.
  16. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

The only ingredient is alcohol. At least, that's what it smells like judging by the bottle I bought last week. Very disappointing. Hope I just got a bad batch and this isn't an intended change.

17. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

DSC_1483.JPG
    L: US, R: India.
    Not that either is particularly insightful.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

yet

RyX likes this.
  19. Grandmaster Kek

Grandmaster Kek New Member

Call your local fragrance and flavor manufacturer. Ask the receptionist to direct you to a salesperson. If she asks you for a company name, give her a company name, make it believable, like "Old Sauce". Tell the salesman that you are looking for something that smells like old spice and if he can either help you make it yourself or send you a sample that resembles it.

I used to make homemade liqueur and I was always in need of new flavors. This advice is sagely. Salesmen love to talk, so let them talk in return for some samples.

RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  20. RonKL

RonKL New Member

I made some aftershave using the formula below. I does smell nice but not like Old Spice. I bought some Aftershave called 'Oud Spice' from this site: https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements...eal-with-agarwood-essential-oil-rose-absolute
    That smells like the old Shultan Old Spice. I'll make another batch of a homemade Old Spice and add more benzoin and Ambergris oil and Jasmine and probably Orange and Lemon and see how that works. I'll start a new subject "Homemade Old Spice Test 2."

Top Notes (5% to 20%):
    Orange
    Lemon
    Anise
    Clary Sage

Middle Notes (50% to 80%):
    Cinnamon
    Geranium
    Jasmine
    Pimento Berry

Base Notes (5% to 20%):
    Vanilla
    Cedarwood
    Frankincense
    Benzoin

This is a good start to the amounts of the ingredients, the only thing I have of the above is the lemon, cinnamon, and vanilla. probably take a month to get the rest.

I'll probably use rum for the base alcohol, and some witch hazel.

RyX and DaltonGang like this.