Doh! Newbie mistake

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by The Flying Frenchman, Jul 1, 2010.

1. So for the past two months I've been straight shaving now. The two razors that I use in most frequent rotation were starting to drag a little bit. So I figured I would touch them up a little bit on am Aloxite barber hone that I picked up. A few laps and some stropping on CrOx followed by lots of plain stropping, and I thought I was set.
    Day one - first razor is shaving like a dream again, I hadn't realized how much my razor had lost it's edge.
    Day two - Gah!!! The tug. My second razor is just as bad as it was before. Where did I go wrong??? I had to switch razors to finish the shave.
    So I put razor #2 in the drawer and figure Ill come back to it later.

Then, just two days ago I was struck by a thought.
    Tape! The razor was originally honed with a layer of electrical tape on the spine! Suddenly I felt like an idiot for forgetting something so simple but crucial. A layer of tape on the spine later and the edge is back in tip top shape XD.

So I guess the moral of the story is, don't forget which razors were taped when they were honed :D

2. MrLastway

MrLastway New Member

.... I might have too look at that razor again. (fetching electric tape) :ashamed001

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Yep, ours is "hobby" of consistency. ;)