## DONE ## Anniversary PIF - choose your prizes

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by Marverel, Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Hello TSD.

May is my anniversary month. On May 8th 2015 I ordered my first DE razor (Mühle R89), some Personna blades and a cheap badger brush (Edwin Jagger Pure), bought a tube of cream (Florena) at a local store and a few days later I had my first shave with this setup. Never looked back.

For a while I was pretty happy with what I had, but then I discovered wet shaving forums - the drama enfolded ;) I have so much stuff now ... some of it I rarely (if ever) use ... so why not spread the wet shaving love and just PIF it.

The rules are simple: Just tell us when (and with what kind of equipment) you started your wet shaving career and say "I'm in". Open to each and every TSD member world-wide.

Oh - yeah - about the stuff I am giving away: 3 razors, 3 brushes and 3 soaps. I will pick 3 winners by randomizer, first pick gets to choose 1 of each, then it's the second one's turn, the third prize has to take what's left ;) I will pick the winners on May 14th (which is also the day of my 17th wedding anniversary).

The Razors:

rasierer.jpg

- a vintage Rotbart model 100 razor (I think from the 1960ies) with acrylic baseplate, very mild shaver
    - a GEM Micromatic OC (got this from a PIF myself, pretty aggressive razor)
    - a no-name CC DE razor with a nicely decorated handle, also pretty mild

I'll include two GEM blades with the Micromatic, the DE razor comes with either 2 packs of Sputnik blades or a blade sampler (your choice)

The Brushes:

pinsel.jpg

- Edwin Jagger Best Badger, very soft, great for creams, a bit too floppy for my taste. I prefer 2-bands
    - The Body Shop synthetic brush, pretty decent brush for the price, though quite a bit stiffer than e.g. the Maggard or Mühle Synthetics
    - Semogue 1460 Boar brush, super soft tips with good backbone, great for hard soaps

The Soaps:

seife.jpg

- The Body Shop Maca Root Cream (virtually unused, I only scooped out a tiny amount of cream for testing)
    - Arko (love it or hate it ... I used it once and hated it ;))
    - Proraso White (used 2 or 3 times ... I somehow like it but I have so much other stuff that I prefer)

Oh ... and just to sweeten the "leftover" deal for the 3rd place a bit, I will add a few soap samples to that one:

- RazoRock XXX and Son of Zeus
    - Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia and Dolomiti

Have fun y'all :happy088:

The list so far:
    1. - tuxxd
    2. - dangermouse
    3. - RaZorBurn123
    4. - John Ruschmeyer
    5. - jstolp
    6. - Metro
    7. - PLAla
    8. - hrairy
    9. - JR Reyes
    10. - Jorvaljr
    11. - Hodge
    12. - Halvor
    13. - Linuxguile
    14. - SP3CtRUM
    15. - PLANofMAN
    16. - gwsmallwood
    17. - RyX
    18. - White731
    19. - GatorJoe
    20. - Pilotcld
    21. - Jayaruh
    22. - MetalHead88
    23. - mayer57619
    24. - DaltonGang
    25. - kc1ble
    26. - som
    27. - vmarks
    28. - Spyder
    29. - blashe
    30. - lance3114
    31. - whiteboy_cannon
    32. - herm2502
    33. - AGHisBBS
    34. - SHAVEWIZARD420
    35. - Joe Babb
    36. - defectivechimp
    37. - gregkw1
    38. - samarijack
    39. - Paul6505
    40. - Roderick
    41. - Robbyflexx
    42. - Shotwell
    43. - FatherofSquirrel
    44. - Lfs70
    45. - Lo'Gosh
    46. - George X
    47. - Fattymaz
    48. - samarijack
    49. - BeShaved
    50. - Stanley Choi
    51. - Single Malt Whiskers
    52. - mrchick
    53. - Drawer
    54. - MObigfoot
    55. - NCoxSTL
    56. - mark danby
    57. - awilliams
    58. - Hussell
    59. - SRNewb
    60. - ob1page
    61. - Norcalnewb
    62. - GSlim66
    63. - cpool222
    64. - Red Rider

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I enlisted 29th. of January in 2013. Never looked back either! First kit was a Shaving Factory boar brush, Merkur 15C open comb razor, Merkur blades and Mühle bowl + Aloe vera soap. Used some local pharmacy face wash and balm from Matas.

I'm in. Thank you for this generous PIF opportunity.

3. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Yes please - I'm in. Thank-you for a great opportunity.

I had bacterial meningitis, five years ago, which has left me with a lot of issues. I started using a Parker TTO safety razor, I think it was also in May 2015, in effort to turn some of the small and seemingly inconsequential things (chores) in my life into more pleasurable activities. It has certainly worked. The things I can control, I enjoy. I spend a very relaxing 20-30 minutes each evening shaving and I love the experience. My new hobby is just great. Have a terrific day everyone.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I joined the movement almost 4 years ago (August) my setup was a Edwin Jagger DE89lbl, Proraso White, Semogue 750. I'm in. And thank you for your generosity.

AGHisBBS and Marverel like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm in. I started back in September (2015) with a SuperSpeed (1964) and store-brand Personna blades from Shop-Rite. Pretty soon thereafter, I added the VdH Deluxe kit (brush, bowl, and soap).

Thanks for such a generous PIF.

Douglas Carey, AGHisBBS and Marverel like this.
  6. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

I began with the Micro touch One DE Razor I bought at Target just to try. That was about one year ago,nperhaps a little longer. I have been hooked. Great PIF! I'm in!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I startes this in January 2012 and joined TSD in May of the same year. Haven't looked back since either but I did change some of my gear once or twice. I started with a Merkur 34C, a badger made in China and some Proraso. I'm in and thanks for this great PIF!

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in! I was using Col. Conk and VDH soaps with an Escali brush and Mach3s for about a year before using a DE razor for the first time on Christmas Day 2015. That first DE shave used a Wet Shave Club 3-piece razor (pretty good razor), Proraso White, Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic brush, and Nivea balm. I haven't looked back! Thanks for the opportunity.

9. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I'm in. I started in December 2015. I had an old Flare tip my dad gave me, an old spice shaving cup with soap inside(also from my dad) and a no name brush that I don't remember where I got it. My first couple of times were not the greatest but I was soon hooked. And the rest...so they say...is history!

10. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

What a great show of generosity...count me In. May 8th is my Dad's birthday.

I started this hobby in Nov. of 2013, and my first setup included -- Merkur Futur, Semogue 1470 boar brush, and a Puck of Tabac in an old spice mug.

11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I'm in.
    I started with
    Razor - Weishi from Amazon
    Soap - Art of Shaving sandlewood trial kit.
    Brush - art of shaving trial kit
    Blade - dorco blades which came with the weishi

12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great PIF. Im in.

My wife bought my first kit as an anniversary gift in Nov 2014. Its consisted of a Merkur razor, Parker black badger brush, TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and a blade variety pack. I still have the original kit but have added a few items to the den since:D

13. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I started wet shaving in October 2013. My first razor was a Dovo Best 5/8 from SRD and a Van Dee Hagen luxury kit with badger brush from Amazon. I also had a very cheap strop from Amazon which was quickly replaced with a English Bridle from SRD.

I too have amassed a great deal in my short time and while very generous of you, I am not in.

14. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I'm in. Generious PIF, Martin!

My TSD one year anniversary is coming up in May, in fact, having joined 31 May 2015. My first DE razor, a Muhle R89 Twist, I ordered three months before you (8 Feb), along with what I would refer to as a bucket of cream from Cyril Salter and a Muhle silvertip fibre brush. The latter was quickly taken out of commission (19mm knot, what was I thinking?), the former I traded for a regular R89 (in order to be able to switch heads), and the Salter cream I use occasionally, mostly for super lathering (learning relatively quickly that pure citrus software was not my thing). Plenty of alternatives available in my den, though... ;)

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I started with a VHD deluxe kit while still using a cartridge razor December 2015, got my first DE a RazoRock Mission in January 2016. and everything exploded from there. Great PIF! not in.

16. SP3CtRUM

SP3CtRUM Active Member

I am in :)

I have started April last year with Chinese Rimei, Dorco blades, Vulfix VS-1 brush and Red Proraso Soap :)

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I would like to add that @Marverel is a terrific ambassador of all the generosity that is evident on TSD. I won a PIF from him when I first started DE shaving and was also sent some prizes from him when I was lucky enough to win the December newbie give-away. He sent both packages from Germany all the way to Alabama. He's a nice gentleman. Thanks @Marverel!

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I first started wetshaving in the early 2000's sometime. It would have been a Mach 3, Burma-Shave mug, whatever soap came in those things, and a red and white Ever-ready C40 boar brush.

I am in.

19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm going to pass on the PIF, not in, but I'll share anyway.

I started with a Feather Popular, a DE blade sampler from Amazon, and the VDH kit with the black-handled boar, soap, and bowl. The brush will be going into a PIF soon, the razor was given to a friend, the soaps and blades are long gone, but the bowl remains. It's still my brush-soaking bowl, and when I get down to the donut ring of soap, I generally scrape that out into the VDH bowl until it's finished.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm in!
    Last year in August my first kit was a shavette that used half a DE blade, a boar brush, and Marvy soap. That was replaced with a five dollar Fat Boy, and a VDH Deluxe kit. The only item from your very generous PIF selection that I've tried is the ARKO. I like it, especially when combined with a dab of Cremo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.