Don't fear the R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoWeepers, Oct 21, 2018.

1. NoWeepers

NoWeepers Member

For ages now, I've known the Muhle R41 as dangerous beast, only approached by the most veteran wet shavers. Boy was I wrong. After getting bloodied by a particular premium stainless razor one too many times, I thought I could do no worse by trying the R41. In comparison to the stainless, whose manufacturer I won't name, the R41 is a pussycat. Even got the 2011 version. With so much blade feel, it's easy to keep from applying too much pressure. With mild razors, I overshave certain spots trying to get BBS. With the R41, this just isn't necessary.

Not only do my shaves feel closer, they look closer too. People notice.

Every den should have one.

StewB, Somnos, Tdmsu and 8 others like this.
  2. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

Have you tried a slant like the merkur 37C?

Any hints as to which premium SS razor tore your face up?

Somnos likes this.
  3. NoWeepers

NoWeepers Member

I've never tried a slant!

I don't want to single out the manufacturer, since we're all on the same team working for the common goal of promoting wet shaving. Many people get great shaves from it, so my problems were probably unique to me.

Somnos, RyX, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

My 15 year old son used my R41 without incident. He liked it......a lot.

wristwatchb, Somnos and Hembree like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hmmmm, no home should be without one?
    .......Hmmmm, might have to pull the trigger on one sometime. I've always been impressed with how efficiently that razor removed almost a generation of our Den's finest, from trying razors....Even Stingraysrock and BattleMonkey were smitten! And those cats were legendary razorizers!...lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Somnos, RyX and Herm2502 like this.
  6. Parallax

Parallax Member

I've got one on the way. Have been shaving with a Futur on 6 for the last several years. Recently discovered the Ikon Tech, which blew me away. Now I've got several of the most aggressive razors on order (including a 2013 R41 and the 2011, purchased from one of the members of this site). Can't wait to try 'em.

Tomorrow's my day with four GEMs. Have been saving whiskers for 48 hours (since the Ikon Tech is so damn close). Not sure how I'm gonna share my one face among four razors but gonna give it a go.

Somnos, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My thoughts exactly.

Herm

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Try the 37c or its big brother the 39c "Sledgehammer". I have the 39c and don't find it aggressive in the least, but I've heard others say it is. Maybe I shouldn't be afraid Iof the R41.[​IMG]

Herm

Tdmsu and brit like this.
  9. Parallax

Parallax Member

A friend lent me one right around the time I first got my Futur, several years back. Liked it a lot and I typically like very aggressive razors. Don't know that I'd describe it as aggressive but it was very effective. Of course that was years ago so I don't know if I'd react to it the same today.

RyX and Herm2502 like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have a R41 but initially it was aggressive as heck. It still feels a little like from time to time but I’ve learned to shave with it and it shaves fantastic. With a feather blade it does still give me weepers (a lot) but with a personna or Voskhod it feels great.

Tdmsu, NCoxSTL and RyX like this.
  11. Parallax

Parallax Member

Received my first R41 yesterday and tried it for the first time this morning. Didn't really do it for me. Felt mostly the blade guard against my skin. The blade itself didn't make enough contact and I received little feedback. I like really aggressive razors. I've got a used 2011 R41 on the way and will check out the spitfire blade cap for this one.

Tdmsu and Herm2502 like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I realy like the Merkur 37c slant, but then again I like slants alot, a whole lot.
    My 41 has never gave me a nice shave, it's always rough, no blood mind you, just rough. I get a close shave, but my hair is tough as wire so maybe that's the issue. It seems to me that the blade is not tilted enough. The only way I get a decent shave is to tilt it alot, handle high, and apply excessive pressure, not good. I've tried different ways but so far, I'm not satisfied with the shave I get.
    I own a few slants and they all work great for me. The first razor I fell in like with was a bakelite OC slant from PAA. The first slant I used was a RR German 37 slant, get great results from that cheap little razor. I have 2 of the razors I like, got 2 RR germans.;)

I recently got a Razorock Blackhawk V2, that razor works nice. I also like my GEM Jr. with Personna GEM blades, the GEM OC Micromatic is very nice too. Stiff blades seem to work well with my wiskers.
    Going to the dark side soon, getting the blades ready to send out for some pro work.;)

But you should get a r41 and try it, You might like it, You might love it

tp

wristwatchb, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  13. NoWeepers

NoWeepers Member

Hmm, that's definitely not my experience with the 2011 R41. It's all blade to me, and more feedback than any other razor I've tried. Have a 2013 model in the mail, but unfortunately it doesn't arrive until next week.

14. Parallax

Parallax Member

And I've got the 2011 coming. Hoping I like it as much as you do.

I'm sure the 2013 is great for a lot of guys. This is all so unique and personal. I find those who seem to like the kind of razors I like. But even then the only way to truly know with regard to a particular razor is to try it.

RyX likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The 2011 R41 is my favorite DE and was my gateway drug to straights.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Because we are here to discuss our opinions, do feel free to express yourself. With the ever present YOMV (Your Opinion May Vary) understood no one will take offense. So much of the whole shave experience is personal observation of how we each use the tools available. Dare I note; ARKO, Modern Williams soap, The Veg, etc.

I've fallen in with the Aggressive DE crowd. Anyone care to compare any versions of the r41 to a Fat Boy on 9, Fatip Piccolo, or Merkur Futur (or recent clones)?
    Those are several I enjoy with Feather blades.

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  18. Parallax

Parallax Member

I have the Fat Boy, the Futur, the 2013 R41 (which I've used only a couple of times so far) and the Ikon Tech. I have a Fatip Grande on the way but have no experience with it yet.

Of course this is very personal and others will rank them differently. For me, I'd rank the four I've tried as follows:
    1. Ikon Tech -- A true masterpiece that offers incredible feedback, leaving one fully engaged in the shaving experience and enabling one to get routine super-close shaves with ease.
    (Leaving space here because the others don't come close to the Tech in my opinion.)
    2. 2013 R41. Might not have said that after the first shave. Yesterday, after shave #1, I reported that I was disapointed. But then this morning I changed the handle and that made a huge difference. With the Ikon Bulldog, it shaved close with ease. Perhaps as close as the Tech. If not, very close. Probably with more ease but at the price of engagement. That's not a trade I want to make. But a great razor just the same. Having learned that it's a mistake to fail to rotate razors, the R41 will definitely be in my lineup. Have a 2011 R41 on the way. Remains to be seen whether I run both or chose one over the other.
    3. Futur -- My go-to razor for 6 years. Didn't even know there were newer aggressive razors until recently. Were I not really tired of it, having used it every day for way too long, it might be ranked higher. Even the best of experiences can become monotonous so it's hard to be objective at this point (as if one ever could when dealing with something so inherently subjective). I've always kept it at 6 (or above once the stop broke). Sometimes far above 6. For me, the shave is the same because of the angle at which I hold it, which makes the gap almost entirely irrelevant. It's a great razor. Perhaps the equal of the R41. Perhaps.
    4. Fat Boy. Don't get me wrong. I love the Fat Boy. I love the look, the feel, the heft. It's a great razor. As with any vintage machine, I love the fact that it has an enormous untold history implicating some dead guy I'll never meet. When I peer into my shaving cabinet, I imagine the energy of many anonymous men moving through those old razors. But the Fat Boy, even set at 9, it's not that aggressive. Sorry, it's just not.

Tdmsu, Keithmax, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Aggressive to me means a razor you must take care with; one which you could easily nick yourself if not giving it due care and attention.

(I'm assuming) What you call aggression I would refer to as efficiency - lots of blade feel and a belief it will shave better because of it.

Having spent some time learning to shave with a straight razor, I am no longer bothered about "aggressive" razors. I also found that, with a bit of practice, I can get just as good a shave with a New LC or Gillette Tech. As long as the blade is on your skin it will shave to skin level. No closer.

gorgo2, Tdmsu, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  20. Parallax

Parallax Member

Since the last time I posted in this thread, more razors arrived and I've had more time with all of them.

At this point, the Ikon Tech remains my g0-to. It provides the closest shave and with the most feedback and ease. Of course that's just me. A razor that works for one guy might not work for another.

I've now had some time with both the 2011 and 2013 R41. I like the 2011 model better but I find neither as aggressive/efficient as the Ikon Tech. The 2011 will certainly be in my rotation. Not sure if I'll keep or sell the 2013. If I keep it, will buy a Spitfire.

The Fatip comes next for me. Oddly, I find the V2 head more comfortable than the V1 but both shave equally close. Just a hair less close then the 2011 R41. A bit closer than the 2013.

After that I like the Karve with an F plate and the Blackland Dart. Both are quite efficient and also really nice to hold and behold. I've not yet tried anything higher end than those two.

I like the MMOC a lot. The ATT SE2 is pretty nice too. It's more maneuverable than the MMOC but overall, I prefer the MMOC because it produces a closer shave and is a way better value.

The Fendrihan Mark I is a nice razor that I think most men would appreciate. Milder than the ones above but producing pretty much just as efficient a shave.

I still have fondness for vintage Gillettes, especially the Fat Boy. I'm hopelessly burned out on the Futur, having used it daily for six years, but in time I'm sure my former appreciation will return.

Will shortly be trying out some slants. The German 37 and two PAA Bakelites. Will be interesting to see if any of them do it for me. Years ago, had a good experience with a Merkur C39. But I've changed a lot in the years since so I'm not sure if I'd like it now.

Tdmsu, Keithmax, RyX and 1 other person like this.