Don't you just love it...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by mwleach58, Jun 23, 2011.

1. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

... when you get home and discover that there's a package waiting for you.... and you know that...

The Shave Fairy has been here!!

(Or Santa, or the Easter Bunny, or whoever you prefer...)

Breathless anticipation as you gleefully, but carefully, open the box, only to behold the beautiful packing job... each item wrapped individually... maybe a few unexpected goodies tucked in amongst your treasures...

Where to put them?
    How to hide them from SHE who thinks you've alread got enough stuff?
    Which new cream, soap, razor, lotion or potion to use first???

I tell you, my lads, it makes an otherwise ordinary or mundane day into a special occasion!!

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go play with my new toys...:D

2. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Nice. yeah....you're hooked!:D

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I love it. when you know that you have a package on the way... I check my mail box daily hoping to have some goodies there.

The best is when you have a couple on way and when all come you have no idea what to use :happy102

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

So what did the Shave Fairy bring you? Details, Details.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

yes, man! Details!! :D

6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Details and more details so we can vicariously enjoy it as well!

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I enjoy when the Big Brown Truck of Happiness visits.

8. Michaelshane

Michaelshane New Member

Moss scuttle.....

Maybe tomorrow.

9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

IMHO that is the wrong approach. A better way is to order some goodies for her along with your stuff. That way when the package arrives, she has something to look forward to, too, and you are unlikely to catch any grief.

10. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Not grief, really, more like the occasional snide remark. But I have found a very effective comeback. My wife is an aspiring marathon walker, and according to all my walker/runner friends, the proper shoes are very important. Last Christmas I went into one of those specialty walking/running stores to get her a gift certificate, and I looked at some of the special shoes on display, and just about had a coronary. The prices are astronomical!! For running shoes!!! Now, admittedly, I've never spent more than $50-60 for a pair of runners in my life. I don't wear them regularly, only ever own one pair at a time, and I think they're ugly and unfashionable. They only get scuffed up and stinky anyway. For me they are purely utilitarian, cheap shoes. Not so with her.

Anyway, anytime she comments on a shave purchase of mine, I merely point out the fact that I could practically replace my entire supply of shave equipment and supplies for the cost of one pair of fancy-shmancy running shoes. If this doesn't work, I proceed to inventory her wardrobe of special walking shorts, special reflective walking jackets and tops, cute little socks for the fancy-shmancy shoes, leggings, headbands, special running shoe electronic pedometer gizmo etc etc etc...

That does the trick.

11. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

This most recent purchase was largely restocking most of my depleted consumables, as I hadn't replenished my inventory in a long while.

And to answer Regan's question... I placed this order with Fendrihan during the postal strike, to take advantage of their offer of free shipping by courier if your order was over a certain $$ amount.

Lets see...

Tabac soap in the ceramic jar. I had a Tabac puck before, just never had the jar.
    2 additional Tabac replacement pucks.
    2 Cella red tubs.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat (for a cold and rainy day)
    JM Fraser Oriental Spice shave cream.
    Big Box o' Feather blades.

No new hardware in this order.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, fere shere Ya'll!

13. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That was the second thing that made me smile today. The first was a teenage girl dancing at the bus stop while i biked by. Not a litte bit of dancing... but some full on MJ stuff. :D

The strike is making me anticipate it even more... Makes me NEED MY GILLETTE OLD TYPE. Well just for a couple days... then off to buy a New/Old type head.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! :happy088:happy088

Between the Tabac and the MWF alone you've go enough soap to last three-plus years easy :D

Enjoy, any may it all provide you with many great shaves to come!

15. ubermick

ubermick Member

Ahh, you suffer from the same issue I do - spousal double standards! Where everything I purchase is a waste of money, but the cash she spends on shoes, maincures, pedicures, more shoes, hair salon, clothes, even more shoes, more cosmetics than you can shake a stick at, $120 a month fancy gym/spa membership... that's all important and necessary stuff!

16. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Just took delivery of a puck of Vostok from QCS. Looking forward to my Menthol Monday shave.

17. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

... and then there's Yoga... yoga clothing, yoga mat, yoga club membership, yoga home DVDs......... but, I digress. I really don't begrudge her any of those things at all.... I merely take exception to a raised eyebrow if I pick up another $10 bottle of aftershave or something...

Some people don't understand or appreciate the ritualistic, even ceremonial aspects of that little bit of personal time.

18. ubermick

ubermick Member

Oh, agreed completely. My wife works really hard, and I don't begrudge her a thing, nor do I say boo when she comes home loaded down with shopping bags anytime she has an afternoon out with her friends. Like you, it's the response I get when *I* spend money that makes me chuckle and ask her if she REALLY wants to compare our spending at the end of the month. :rolleyes:

19. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys New Member

I got a wild hair last week and ordered a bunch of stuff and won some bids on EBay. I figured it up and I had 10 pagages comming! The best part is that 5 of them showed up today. A couple of neat old ever ready brushes, a new boar brush, some AS samples and some blades. Just like Christmas! :D

20. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Felt the need to place an order with Italian Barber today, as they had a sale on Feather blades..... also ordered a bottle of Vito's Lavanda A/S.