Dorco PL 602 vs Tech/Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JArness, Jul 30, 2021.

1. JArness

JArness New Member

What is everyone's opinion on this razor vs some of the vintage classics in terms of effectiveness?

I started wet shaving with it about a month ago and have gotten some great shaves, also managed to irritate my skin a bit at times but I've done the same with cartridges and I also have very sensitive skin and always chase a very close shave.

Its also been a learning curve learning the correct angle and amount of pressure to get a close shave with a DE. I bought it based off of various recommendations I read online that the PL 602 might do an even better job than some of these razors and that its a good starting point for beginners like myself. At the same time, I know many experienced wet shavers dont like it at all.

Just curious what you gents here think

thanks for looking

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and twhite like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!
    Sorry, but I have no experience with the razor.
    One thing I will advise, don't chase the baby. You admit to chasing that very close shave - stop. Work on your technique, get to know your hardware and your face. Many people say they have sensitive skin but really don't. They just use too much pressure with the razor as they chase that baby. Not saying you don't have sensitive skin, just something to think about.

3. JArness

JArness New Member

Thanks and you're right. Sometimes I let perfect become the enemy of good. I really just want a comfortable socially acceptable shave but when a shave is going well I just want it to be movie star quality. That's where I end up with redness in the areas that are tricky for me and it defeats the whole purpose.

I've always been a bit heavy handed as well and I'm working on that. I am using a very light weight razor that does need some pressure but I tend to over do it, did the same with carts and I'm working on that. I shave at night mostly because of that.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Most people who migrate from cartridge razors, always tend to apply pressure when using a cartridge razor. So it becomes a habit that needs to be broken when moving to any wet shaving razors be it double edge or single edge. Break yourself of the pressure habit and hone your technique. Then you will find that ah-ha! moment where you let the razor and balance and weight of the razor itself do the work and give no thought whatsoever to pressure.

As for the Dorco itself, I've never used it and don't have a clue about it but starting out wet shaving with a Tech or Super Speed, regardless of which variant, is a perfect starting razor for anyone - but I always recommend any of the Gillette adjustable razors. The adjustables give you a much wider range to test and learn with, from very mild to aggressive but not mow your nose off aggressive.

Ijustmissedthe50s, JArness and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

you are on the right path.congrats.i used carts for 35+ years and now i'm on my 6th year with gillette DE's fabulous shavers.the pressure habit from carts will disappear over time.pretend you are starting fresh and you were given your first razor.learn to use it .changing razors won't improve anything until your technique is mastered. good luck and check us out here..:).welcome aboard..:eatdrink047:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...s-pix-discussion-all-are-welcome.65675/unread

Ijustmissedthe50s and JArness like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and JArness like this.
  7. JArness

JArness New Member

thanks and I will check out that thread

brit likes this.
  8. JArness

JArness New Member

thanks alot

brit likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

brit likes this.
  10. JArness

JArness New Member

I think that because this razor is so light and I have a problem with pressure anyways, I may be better off with a vintage Gillette. I might be too tempted to mess around with the settings on an adjustable but I will look into it.

Thank you!

11. JArness

JArness New Member

its not a bad razor to me but I have no frame of reference with DEs. I enjoy using it but get frustrated when I give myself any irritation. the irritation I get is no worse than when I used multi blade carts

it might not be the best razor for me personally to learn with

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

That's what the settings are for. An adjustable, especially when starting out, is to be messed with. :happy088:

And to be clear, even though I mentioned specifically Gillette adjustables, any adjustable razor is a good razor for someone starting out and learning. If money is no object, there's the stainless steel Rex Ambassador for $250. The Pearl Flexi is a superb cheaper alternative at $80. Something easily found cheaper, is just about any of the vintage Gillette adjustables -Slim, Fat Boy, short handle and long handle "Black Beauty".

My point is, an adjustable offers the starting point for nervous and apprehensive first time wet shavers and room to grow aggressively as you learn and find your technique, and even favorite blade.

JArness and brit like this.