Dorco ST800 blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jmudrick, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Made in Vietnam for Chinese market. I have no idea why these exist but gonna try them for science. By way of comparison an old three hole Gillette blade weighs .98g +/-, a Blue Blade .90g, a modern DE in the range of .47-.57g.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I’m confused. Why are you calling them “Old Type” blades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keithmax likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Thickness and weight.

4. John Ruschmeyer

Gotcha. Particularly interesting since most Dorco blades are pushing thinness as an attribute.

I wonder if these could be like Tigers in that they are intended for individual applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keithmax likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Will let you know in 3 weeks or so I imagine. They are marketed for shaving at least. How bad could they be says the guy with the stash of Tian Li blades...

Keithmax likes this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

As I said in another thread... I'm now reading this thread on a computer and am confused...
    The second photo shows a thickness (I think) of 0.06 mm. Looking back through some old posts, I note that the Dorco Titan blade specs include the statement "Thin blade thickness is 0.075mm, while other products are 0.1mm."

That would seem to make this blade even thinner than a blade which is already thinner than most blades. Huh?

@NCoxSTL noted that he thought the dollar store Dorco blades seemed awfully thin. That led me to speculate that they were the plain Stainless blade before all the extra coatings that the Titan gets (double Teflon coated plus a platinum layer). Maybe these are those blades. Do you have a part number for them?

Keithmax likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You know I was focused more on the weight than the thickness, but yeah I'm now confused as well. I don't know how a super thin blade is going to weigh 50% more than a fat one. I was thinking of inches in the thickness measurement where .004 is typical.

Yes indeed my Dorcos measure .06mm which is thinner than my Gillette Super Thin which is .07mm.

Can't explain the weight.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Linuxguile and Screwtape like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mystery solved, weight is .53g just like every other blade. Shave tomorrow.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ok, terrible first shave. Dull. Joins the Mr Tian Li as the only new blades ever used where I was unwilling to complete a single pass. I'll try another.

John Ruschmeyer and Linuxguile like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

With my early 50s Rotbart. Strike 2. Couple of weepers on my head where they really don't belong. Not comfortable.