dorco vs gillette

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by donald, Mar 30, 2019.

1. donald

donald Member

if dorco has a seven blade razor vs the gillette flexball power razor that has the proshield cartridge/replacement part, which one will give a much closer shave on a mans face? im all ears and want everyones opinion on this one pretty please. thank you.

Terry and brit like this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you will get the same answers to this as the exact same question that you asked less than a week ago: https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/dorco-vs-gillette.61610/#post-1561611

7 blades = Close with irritation

5 blades = Close with irritation

Really everyone's face is different. I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone on here that has tried both of these. The cost of either is really not that bad compared to what you already dump into the cartridges. So why not pick them both up, do a comparison and let us know exactly how they do for you?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    brit, Edison Carter and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Goo-bloomin' Stankster

If a train is going into a tunnel at 100 mph, how many pancakes does it take to cover a doghouse on a bright sunny day?

True or false?

4. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Answer: the chair

BigMark83, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Weasel640

Wait a minute! Supposing two swallows carried it together?

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And if not both, then surely neither!

brit, Edison Carter and Leclec13 like this.
  7. brit

brit Well-Known Member

how long is a piece of string ..

gorgo2, Edison Carter and Leclec13 like this.
  8. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Sure we are yanking your chain a bit, maybe I should stay out of cartridge razor are.... i do not use cartridge razors anymore, I was attracted to your post on key words Dorco, Gillette because they make DE razors.

I cannot even guess the answer to you question because do not and will never use a cartridge ever again.

But will suggest again, you try a DE razor with a good blade, shave brush, decent soap or cream ( poraso, Arko, Williams are all classics), even zote soap is better than canned foam, and have a pre shave routine prior to shaving. A solid preshave routine would prolly improve shave with either of your above choices.

I suggest you try a vintage gilette superspeed, but the dollar tree razor with a decent blade will suffice. (Less expensive than cartridges) Give it a months of shaves. We will all be glad to walk you through it. And you will see why we are yanking your chain.

BigMark83, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Goo-bloomin' Stankster

One could only guess without knowing the actual girth of said string!

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit Well-Known Member

when i used carts i never ventured beyond 3 blades, so mach 3 were ok, and trac 2 ok as well, good luck in your research..

Edison Carter likes this.
  11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

:happy102:.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  12. BigMark83

I'd recommend a RazoRock MJ90 with the A plate, an Omega or Semogue boar brush, Proraso or RazorRock shaving soap, and a blade sampler.

Edison Carter, Leclec13 and brit like this.
  13. Weasel640

That would be a viable option if 1) If OP was willing to try DE razors. 2) The RazoRock MJ-90 was in stock. and 3) If Boar wasn't subpar to modern synthetics.

Edison Carter and Leclec13 like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Donald
    Terry here.
    Once you cut the hair to skin level, the rest of the passes of any blade will do more damage than good. Yes it seems that [more = better] but when all your doing is scraping off skin, that can lead to irritation. If you have blades that are not sharp enough to cleanly cut the hair off (carts) it will either take more passes or more blades per pass. Also if you need to run the razor different ways over the same area, multi-blade razors can hurt more than help. That is why you see the posts recomending you try "wet shaving" with single blade razors. If you get satisfying shaves with the 5 to 7 blade razors, by all means, continue to enjoy those razors. Most of the people here came from the cart razor place where you are at, using the Double Edge razors helped save them from a life of (grow a beard or cry each shave) and now get closer shaves than ever thought possoble, with little or no irritation. So that is why so many recomend the change.
    Using a cart razor as you describe can be made better by using proper pre shave a good lather and brush with a skin tonner after shave to help the skin after the blades have finshed their job. By all means read, lurk or whatever through here and just see what others are using.
    Ask questions, you will get answers, some of them will help you, but remember, we are all made different, something that works for me might not work for you. Thats why so many what seems to be different answers to the same question.
    Good luck
    Good shaves
    Enjoy
    tp

Edison Carter, Leclec13 and brit like this.
  15. BigMark83

As far subpar goes, that's all a matter of opinion. I like both synthetic and boar, but then again YMMV and all that jazz :eatdrink047:.

Edison Carter and brit like this.