Dress shoe polishing

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Reformation Student, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I have been reading a bit on corporate dress codes and came across a consulting firm who requires their male employees to wear black dress shoes shined to a military mirror polish. They state that many military bases have open-to-the-public shoe shining services where you can get your shoe mirror shine started.

Is this true? Do military bases offer these types of services to the public?

In a kind of related question, would such a shoe really be a good match for a business suit. I have a pair of military corfam shoes for my tuxedo but would never think to wear them with a suit.

Just wondering.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never heard of it. Almost all bases are NOT open to the public. In fact, security has increased so much that the base sticker on my window isn't enough to get me a wave in - I, and all passengers, have to show an ID. At least one person must have a military ID. I'd like to know where this consulting firm is getting their info.

Oh, I don't think corframs would look to0 cool with a suit, either.

Here's how I did my shoes and boots back when I was in, had the time, and wanted to show off - just wet a cotton ball, squeeze out most of the water, rub it over your polish, take it to the shoe, repeat. You'll have to do that "repeat" part a lot! Use an old piece of nylon stocking for a final buffing.

3. Reformation Student

Thanks, I didn't think bases were open either, especially after 9/11. There was no date on their page so I don't know how old the information is.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

1. Go to a store that sells Kiwi brand "Black Parade Gloss" buy a can of it.

2. Open the can, light the contents on fire with a lighter

3. Once the burning liquefies the paste a little, blow it out with a strong breath

4. Dip your applicator sponge in the liquid, and rub all over your shoe

5. Repeat step 2, 3, and 4 with the other shoe

6. Get your shine brush out and go to town brushing that polish all over the shoe, in every angle until it is no longer dull, and starting to shine a little

7. Repeat step 6 for the other shoe

8. Get an old T-shirt and fill your shine lid with cold water

9. Wrap a small piece of T-Shirt around your index finger, dip it into the cold water, and make tiny little concentric circles all over your shoes.....FOREVER!

10. Repeat step 9 for the other shoe

11. You will know you have spent enough time shining your shoes when the shine is crisp enough to see yourself in the reflection and shave via the mirror polish

12. Once you have achieved step 11, steam up your shine with your breath and rub the steam away with the T-shirt FOREVER!

13. Rest assured knowing that even Corfram / Patent Leather shoes are not as shiny as your hand polished leather shoes

5. CSL

CSL Member

Yes! The small circles. Didn't think anybody knew about that any more.

6. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

Remember to clean the old polish off first along with the dirt. My shoe repair shine guy says it this way.

"When your wife puts make up on (I don't have a wife) does she just slather on more and more? No she cleans the old stuff off at night first! You greatly reduce the quality and life of the shoe if you don't clean the old crap off first. Shoe leather is skin after all those pores can still get clogged."

I have no reason to not believe him and he has been doing shoes his entire life. I so I always make sure to use a shoe cleaner first.

C. S. Budzi

7. CSL

CSL Member

Yes. A shoe repair guy that I spoke with, told me that they use rubbing alcohol to clean off the old polish.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The best shoe for business would be the burford style (IMO). It looks like an oxford, but has open lacing. Normally available only in black. The other classic is the oxford, a touch more formal with closed lacing. (the smaller picture) Those are the only two shoes I would ever wear with a suit, but then again, I've been called old-fashioned before. The military shoes are close in looks, but not good enough quality for me.

Attached Files:

9. Reformation Student

I did that with my burgundy toe cap oxfords. Took saddle soap and removed all polish. I mean all polish, all the way back to the factory dye. Then used very light, small circles on the toe cap and after about 1/2 hour, I could see my reflection in the shoe when outside in the sun. I still have the other shoe to do. I only do that on the toe caps on these shoes.

10. Reformation Student

I mainly used saddle soap and elbow grease. The tougher spots I used nail polish remover but only very lightly. Seemed to work well.

11. Reformation Student

I take being called old-fashioned a great compliment. Currently I have a pair of burgundy oxford toe cap shoes and a pair of black full wing tip shoes but these have seen their last days so I'm in the market for a new dress shoe. I think I'll probably end up with the black toe cap oxfords. I lace my shoes just like the brown shoe in your post. Looks smarter to me than the criss cross that most shoes are laced with.

12. Reformation Student

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I mainly was just curious about the consulting firm's claim about the open to the public services on military bases but I think that must be pre 9/11 information.

You guys gave me some good advice on achieving the mirror polish that seems to be in line with what I've tried (except setting the polish on fire - I just don't trust myself in that regard). That gives me confidence that I can do it.

I'm hoping I get a true mirror polish on the black shoes once I get them. I get a decent mirror polish on the burgundy but I have to be out in the bright sunlight to see it. But burgundy may not be a dark enough color to be really reflective.

13. swarden43

Post a pic when you get 'em done. Love to see 'em.

14. Reformation Student

okey dokey

15. Griz

Griz Member

Good advice on the shining, and I have done every method mentioned above, but my son introduced me to the nylon stocking for buffing to a really nice shine. I can tell you that everything else aside that part will work great, but the stocking will become loaded with polish after a little while, so my wife doesn't throw them away when they get a run etc.

I do not think any base has that kind of service either. I did have an account that required me to go onto a base in Atlanta up until last year. They would let me in after confirming where I was to go and a very thorough inspection of my car. I couldn't buy from the PX though.

Will N.

16. Reformation Student

Pictures

So,

I tried to get that mirror polish on my burgundy shoes and the picture shows the results. Not bad, but not perfect. I just bought a pair of black Florsheim shoes that already had a good mirror on them, as the second picture shows, so I should just need to maintain that.

Once again, many thanks for the suggestions.

Attached Files:

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The polish job turned out very nice! As did your straight-lace job!

18. Reformation Student

Thank you. And thanks for noticing the straight lacing. Can't stand criss-cross on dress shoes.

19. swarden43

Great looking job Steve! :happy088:happy088

20. Reformation Student

Thanks, Steve. I take credit only for the burgundy shoes and I still would like a better shine but I don't think I'm going to get it. I'm happy with what I could accomplish.