Dry itchy skin

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Tiredricefarmer, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I'm getting dry itchy skin on my legs, mainly the shin area. I guess it comes with getting older and all the cold weather we are having. I use Stirling soap exclusively when I shower and dry skin has never been a problem. I even wash my shins twice and it seems to help but the itching comes back after a few hours.

Wondering what others here use for dry itchy skin?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I get the same thing. Gets so bad at times it has woken me up from a sound sleep!
    I use Gold Bond Medicated X-Tra Strength lotion in the green bottle.
    If I'm diligent (I HATE LOTION!) in application --morning and night--it works great.

jwr3265 and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

Yeah, same here, I woke up last night scratching. Got up and used some Hemp Nation body lotion my daughters left here but it didn't last long.

I'll check out the Gold Bond, thanks!

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yup, lotion. I have good results with the Gold Bond in the brown bottle. The one that Shaq advertises. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a greasy feeling. The scent is light and barbershopy.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I use conditioner in the shower on my legs to keep them from getting too dry.

Soap, rinse, conditioner, rinse.

The conditioner won't wash completely off with just water. I don't want it to.

I hate lotion, and this is just easier to deal with.

Enrico likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tried that one.
    Didn't work for me for taking away the itch.
    The green bottle is medicated and mentholated.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"It's your lotion. Enjoy it your way." :D

(Plus, I don't like menthol. Icebergs are cold enough.)

8. Tiredricefarmer

Does it make the hair on your legs soft? :happy097:

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Tiredricefarmer

I did notice Gold Bond has an eczema formula, costs a bit more but might be worth it. Gonna do some research from what's suggested here including using conditioner @Queen of Blades suggested.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  10. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

This would be your best bet IMO, it works wonders on my dry skin .. i get it at Target for around $8

Screenshot_20180116-114442.jpg

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  11. Tiredricefarmer

I have the Cera Ve hydrating cleanser. Worked really well on my elbows but for some reason didn't help much for my shins :(. I'll check the lotion out. Thanks!

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  12. Queen of Blades

If I had hair on my legs I'm sure it would, but no hair grows on my legs due to nerve damage.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I would try Lucky Tiger tonic for this issue.

14. Tiredricefarmer

Sorry about that, had I known I wouldn't have joked about it.

15. Queen of Blades

No worries.

16. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I use working hands on my hands and feet. It’s non greasy but does a great job of getting rid of dry itchy skin. A little goes a long way. Perhaps give it a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Tiredricefarmer

I'm open for all suggestions. I've been researching what's been suggested here. The Cere Ve and Gold Bond come up quite a bit but the one that seems to come up the most that hasn't been mentioned is Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. Gonna try using conditioner like @Queen of Blades mentioned when I shower in a bit and go from there.

James_P likes this.
  18. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I suggest that you find a soap that is less drying on your skin, that is what I do in the winter months.
    As a kid, I would never need any moisturizers. My skin was always too oily. The more astringent a soap was- the better.
    I would never have touched a beauty soap. All that changed about 8 years ago.

Now, as an older gentleman, I find my skin dries out more easily. BUT, I hate putting lotion on my body.
    So I only do it if it is absolutely necessary to correct a problem.

HERE'S WHAT I DO:
    I now use a moisturizing beauty bar for daily washing (especially during the winter months).
    By using a moisturizing soap daily during the winter, I find that I don't need to apply lotion to remedy dry skin.

I have had good success with Caress, Aveeno, and Dove products.
    A real bargain I found a few years ago is Nourish (Kroger's private label compared to Dove Cool Moisture).
    nourish.jpg
    This is great stuff! I can even use this soap both as a shampoo, and with a shave brush to get a nice rich lather for face shaving.
    Caution, if you use a bar soap, I suggest you don't leave it in the shower. If you do, they tend to get very soft and mushy.

This one leaves me with a nice clean and fresh yet moisturized skin without being overly greasy feeling.
    It's my favorite, followed by Caress. These beauty bar soaps have really helped me a lot.

Try using some of these products daily, and see if it helps you. YMMV

AlDm and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  19. Tiredricefarmer

That very well may help. Thanks for the suggestion, I planned on going to Kroger tomorrow so I'll look for it. Been using Stirling soap but I may need to lay off it a while.

After researching and a high recommendation from my girlfriend, I ended up getting Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. Felt like I needed to listen to her too, after all, she bought me Wholly Kaw for Christmas, :D. After applying the Aveeno I had one those aaahhhhhhhh!!!!! moments. It felt so good when the itching stopped!

Thanks everyone for their input, I really did research all the recommendations that were given which led me to the Aveeno. I even tried the conditioner and it really helped. But I realized I can't use the conditioner during the day or night if I needed to, lol.

richgem and EnglishChannel like this.
  20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My son has occasional eczema issues. Derm suggested the Eucerin repair creme in the big tub. Seems to work well.