Dry shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sven, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Sven

Sven New Member

Hi folks, so I've been convincing my friends to switch over to safety razors, having switched myself years back, I've been brought the question what if you're in a rush and the handiness of an electric razor, which the same could be said by blades on the electric razor which will pull your hair follicles and cause in grown hairs and what not.

What's your experience? Certainly is doable? As with any tool. But is it better?

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Why not just used a canned foam or a latherless cream with the safety razor, you could do one pass in about 2 minutes and probably have a more comfortable and closed shave then could be accomplished with the electric in the same amount of time.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, john zeiger, Zykris and 4 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

In the past when I was in a hurry, I'd just soap my face with bar soap then shave away. Just one pass and I was done.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If I am in a rush, I just take a stick of Arko and rub it across my face, then make a loose and slick lather using my hand. One pass is enough that will get me finished in about two minutes. My normal 2 pass shave only takes about 5 minutes. If I was in a rush and had it here, I would just use a can of barbasol and call it done. It would be about the same duration as my quick shave.

wristwatchb and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah me too. In a rush- use what you have. No shame in using canned foam or even (yeuch, gag) a cartridge if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I do a dry shave, on occassion, using my mildest razor. I do this a short time after my usual shave when my face has thoroughly dried out.
    I have a strong beard and shave daily. If I only dry saved, I suppose I would have to do it 3 times a day, as a full day's growth would not be possible unless I was planning a big donation to the Red Cross.

7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I would never ever dry shave with a safety razor. Even in the most hurry situations it just takes like 5 seconds to splash some water on the skin and it is an improvement over shaving on a dry skin.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Witch hazel could also be an option....it would be slick enough and help with irritation. But a quick cream lather and single pass shave is just minutes anyway.

brit likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Dry shave? Noooooo, not for me. Very painful. Especially when the aftershave hits the skin.

10. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Although I prefer to make a lather with a brush, Cremo is a very good product. It can be purchased for Walmart and Target. It's water activated, so you'll want your face wet before applying, but it's quite slick.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

In the movie 'Dirty Dozen' the men refused to shave so the sergeant had them dry shaved..:eek:

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Short quick buffing strokes on the shortest possible beard, a day or two growth at most. Doesn't matter what razor I use, cart, DE, SE, it will work dry though always with slight irritation (that's the tradeoff). So yes, it can be done but is never ideal.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Maybe you should have been in the dirty dozen..or maybe you were..:think002:

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm the one who could win a gunfight with a knife.

[​IMG]

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just when you thought that cold water shaving was the craziest thing you'd ever hear.:scared011:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I know a guy who tells me his grandfather dry shaved with a straight razor.

Years ago when I first got out of school and had to start getting up in the morning (for a day job), I tried to still stay up half the night so my solution was an electric razor kept in the glovebox that got me shaved on the way to the office.

These days about the only thing I’d try to dry shave with would be an injector.

17. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Hair conditioner. It's a hack told to me by my other half. Apparently a common trick when shaving your legs. The conditioner hydrates and softens the hairs so no need for heat or preshave prep.

Not so enjoyable as shaving soap or cream and harder to track where you've shaved, but works really well when you are in a hurry.

brit likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Survivorship of No Water Shavers?

Slipperyjoe and richgem like this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So, you're either Chuck Norris or the most interesting man in the world.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  20. Slipperyjoe

Only earther pataks and old Klingon ladies use a shaving lubricant..
    welcome klingonalpha2b.png

Keithmax and richgem like this.