Drying blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hairy Alaskan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Probably old news but a few years back Clark Howard talked about extending the life of a blade by drying it after each use. He corroborated what a caller claimed that simply drying a razor can give you months of good shaves with the same blade.

Here is the article: http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/sho...-to-extend-the-life-of-disposable-razor/nFQz/

I recently started doing this but it's too early to tell if it is working. The cutting edge sure cleans up nicely after a few wipes on a towel.

Wondering if anyone has had luck with this. Considering how cheap blades are it's not a critical process but if it works why not?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I hand strop before every use. That basically dries the blade, as well as giving it a light strop. Works for me.

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Lots of people also use alcohol to keep it clean. This would also help dry the blade.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

There's a video of this Clark Howard making it's way around the forums as we speak, the guy says that drying the blades of a 3 blade disposable he made the razor last an entire year. Only the last 4 weeks was the blade giving out. Personally I'm happy with my 91% alcohol dunk and shaking the razor off before putting it away, I get 7 shaves out of most blades. I just don't see how a blade whether cartridge form or DE even SE for that matter can last 365 daily uses.

5. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

If the DE blade has a coasting..it can be wiped off..though you can get away with wiping just the edges of the blade to get the gunk off..if you have stainless steel blades you can wipe them completely...just a thought

ST

6. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

I do this with my DE blades and it extends the number of shaves I get out of the blade.

7. dekatz

dekatz New Member

Hmmm...

I always take the blade out/clean it & dry it, then store in the wrapper. Since I am a still a noob at this I am still in the process of "finding my blade", so I have been tossing them after 3 or so shaves.

I had no idea they could last this long.

8. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I have a hair dryer hanging on the cabinet next to the sink for the SWMBO to do a quick dry for her hair. I use it also to dry my brushes, both boar and badger as well as the razor and blade after shaking the excess off of it.