Drying brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by matthewoli98, May 13, 2019.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    So I've seen a few differing opinions on other forums, how do you guys dry your brushes? I shake them off to dry them, but I've heard people saying this damages the knot, is this true?

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Shaver X, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

No special care, here. I'm in a fairly high humidity environment that averages 60%+ through out the year. After each use I rinse out lather and shake the brush dry as possible. Rarely do I dry it on a towel using paint brush type rubbing. Hang it in a rack with the bristles pointed down. Same procedure for synthetic, badger, or boar knots. I randomly rotate through around a dozen different brushes. They are always dry by next use and I've not had problems with excessive dropped bristle or fungal growth.

Back in the old days, I suspect most shavers only had one brush that they used day after day. Doubt they took any special care with them. Maybe some high end vintage badgers need coddling. Modern brush knots have the advantage of better materials to form the glue that hold the bristles in.

3. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

So you dont think my shaking the brush dry quite vigorously will cause any long lasting damage?

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I shake the brush and wipe it on a towel afterwards, nothing special.

Robert1955, pj3r, Frijolero and 7 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's what I do, too. Take care of your brush, and it will take care of you.

brush3.JPG
    I have never used this one. I will be reknotting it probably with a synthetic horse.

Frijolero, Primotenore, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto

Synthetic horse? This is the first I have heard of it, please elaborate!

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Me too. But I don't squeeze or twist the brush. Just shake it out and then squeeze it gently. Then I hang it in a stand overnight. It's always dry by morning.

Herm

Frijolero, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It is a brown synthetic.
    JR326_06.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0022.jpg

9. brit

brit in a box

i shake them out gently and a quick dry on a towel , no issues..

Frijolero likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I will add, that I used to hang my brushes from a stand of some sort, but I have adopted the "stand it on the base" method. I rinse, towel dry, and stand it on its end next to the sink. It is always dry by the next day. No problems.

11. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I just shake the brush out vigorously and then hang it in a rack. No special care.

Frijolero, brit and matthewoli98 like this.
  12. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I've only been shaving with a brush for about 4 1/2 years but my approach to drying my brushes is to shake out as much water as I can once all the soap is flushed out of it under the tap. I then strope it on my towel, gently. I then hang it up on a stand in the bathroom upside down to dry. The next day I use a different brush and place the previous day's brush in the den standing on its handle. No stands for my brushes. Just the one in the bathroom for the brush of the day. Works nicely. I have not had to replace a brush yet.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I give mine a shake then dry off on a towel. Ususlly with circle motions. Never had it damage a brush and I have done it this way for years. People who baby a brush probably scrub the razor after each use too.

Frijolero, brit and BigMark83 like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Same thing here. It works well for me.

15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Wipe that baby off on a towel or wash cloth, then let it hang out. A good combing every now and then might not be a bad idea either.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

17. RonT

RonT Member

I shake, gently squeeze, then hang above mug in cabinet.
    Cheers,
    R

Frijolero, brit and matthewoli98 like this.
  18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

When I use one of my brushes after shaving I rinse it out several times and then I have a hanger I bought on e-bay and I shake as much water as I can get out of the brush and I hang it from the hanger and let it sit here in So.Cal it usually dries in about 8 to 12 hours completely.
    Good Luck.
    PatrickA51

19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Rinse the soap out, flick it a few times then a light rub on a towel then stand it on its base to air dry. I have a dozen brushes in rotation so they always dry completely.

PatrickA51, Frijolero and brit like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

If you have a badger knot with gel tips I would recommend not rubbing it on a towel. The tips are fragile and you could rub them right off

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

PatrickA51, Frijolero and brit like this.