Dubonnet v. Vermouth

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Dexterous, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I have heard of Dubonnet mixed with gin as a cocktail. This is apparently Queen Elizabeth's favorite cocktail. I've never had Dubonnet but the recipe sounds a lot like vermouth. Can anyone tell how they differ/are alike?

2. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Many thanks. I am considering swapping it for sweet vermouth in my Manhattans.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Sounds good. Throw a manhattan in a nalgene and send it on over :D

4. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

If I can find a bottle of Dubonnet, I'll post a review of its performance in a Manhattan.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

If you cant find it local, check online. Lots of liquor stores offer free shipping.

6. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

The Dubonnet Manhattan

I finally purchased a bottle of Dubonnet from my local wine shop. My wife is experimenting with the gin/Dubonnet cocktail that the Queen drinks and I sat down the other evening and constructed a Dubonnet Manhattan. Other than substituting for the sweet vermouth, I stayed with the original recipe, rye whiskey (Wild Turkey), Angostura bitters, and a maraschino cherry. I like a stronger drink so my ratio of whiskey to Dubonnet was higher than the traditional 1 part whiskey to 3 parts vermouth; more like 1 to 1.

My first impression of this Manhattan is that the Dubonnet is sweeter than any sweet vermouth I’ve had. It also has a fruitier flavor and tastes much more like a rich, red wine that does vermouth. IMHO, this is not an advantage in a mixed drink. Even with the greater than usual ratio of whiskey to Dubonnet, the latter dominates the flavor of the drink. The Wild Turkey barely registers. I missed the blending of the contrasting flavors that I have enjoyed with the traditional, vermouth-laced, Manhattan.

From here on in, the Dubonnet is going to be enjoyed on it’s own. It is too overwhelming for an enjoyable Manhattan.