Dueling Mühles—R41 Comparison: 2011 & 2013

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you’ve been around TSD long enough to read any of my opinions on the Mühle R41, you’ll see that I am very content user of this razor. I own the redesigned model Mühle released in June of 2011, with the “...all new Tooth Comb head design.” This new head design was dramatically different from the 2010 model, a more traditional open-comb design. The 2011 version also was distinctly different not only in appearance from previous models, but also in unbridled aggressiveness. If one was not careful using this razor…’there will be blood.’ If you haven’t checked out Mantic’s humorous video on this razor, you’ll understand more of what I’m attempting to describe: Mantic's Video

Now personally I’ve never had any real issue with cuts, nicks, weepers and skin irritation to the extent that I’ve read others have had (or Mantic has in the vid) with the 2011 R41. I do use a very light touch, a very sharp blade, and always do a thorough prep. Plus, I NEVER do a ATG pass—and that’s probably the main reason for my happy experiences with it.

Around the early part of 2013, it was announced that another revised R41 model was being released by Mühle into the European market. This newer model supposedly was a ‘kinder, gentler’ version of the 2011 ‘tooth-comb head’ design. There was much forum discussion about this redesign and it wasn’t really made clear as to why Mühle felt this new razor design was necessary and what exactly did it entail.

After reading reviews by users of this new R41, I was anxious to give it a go and find out for myself how it compares to the 2011 version. The consensus from users who have tried both the earlier (2011) model and this recent version is that the 2013 model is smoother, more forgiving and yet still quite aggressive. Okay, so now with my interest piqued, I came across a used 2013 R41 for sale and snatched it up.

Basic visual comparisons:
    At first glance, there isn’t much that distinguishes each R41 model from the other, with the exception of the larger handle on the ‘Grande.’ Both razors are exceptionally finished with quality plating, a well-balanced razor design with a textured handle that provides a good grip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Up close, however, the differences between the razors are more evident:
    The 2013 base plate is slightly wider, longer and a tad taller(thicker) than the 2011.
    [​IMG]

The top cap is slightly wider and longer on the 2013 model.
    [​IMG]

The larger cap & baseplate would explain the difference in blade edge exposure:
    [​IMG]

One of the issues some users have had with the 2011 model is the tendency to ‘bite.’ This often is attributed to blade flex —where during shaving, the blade edge bends until it snaps back into place, causing injury. Mühle appears to have addressed this in the 2013 model with the larger base and cap, thus reducing both the blade exposure and the likelihood of blade flex. Interestingly, though, the blade gap in the two razors is very similar.

The Set-Up
    Normally, I am a two-pass morning shaver. For this test, however, my plan was to shave with these two razors for 3 consecutive days; using a typical 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG), allocating each side (left & right) of my face to a designated razor. The same handle (the standard, not the grande) for both razor heads. Using for each shave: pre-shave oil, Martin De Candre soap and Lijun Silvertip badger brush.
    5-hour Post-shave Credit Card Test—I’ll do this simple test to compare ‘closeness’ of the shave five hours later in the day. A few strokes on the card edge (ATG, XTG) on either side of the face.
    The Blade: I am using 3 different blades; one brand for each day in both razors
    (1. Feather stainless, 2. Astra SPs, 3. Derby Extra).
    [​IMG]

Using the R41 Razors:

Both razors can be tricky to find the ‘proper’ angle. These razors seem to perform better with a shallower (less than 30°) than normal angle.

The 2011 model certainly has much more audible feedback than the newer model, during all three passes. The only razor I’ve tried that is ‘noisier’ than the 2011 R41 is the large-headed Merkur Futur, which literally resonates as it mows down whiskers.

Day 1 (Feather blade) After the first pass (WTG), both sides of my face were extremely smooth. The second pass (XTG) was near identical, with only a slight trace of stubble still remaining on the 2013 side. The 2011 side was near BBS. The third pass (ATG-something I rarely do) cleaned up any stubborn growth, with a bit of tenderness on the 2011 side. A finish with an alum block revealed a good deal more sting on the 2011 side (throat, chin area). No weepers nor blood drawn. A BBS shave on both sides! 5-hour CC test: hours later, the 2011 side is noticeably smoother than the 2013 side.
    Day 2 (Astra SP) Similar results after the first pass as the previous day with both sides being extremely smooth. The second pass was NOT as comfortable on the 2011 side as my skin was more sensitive after the ultra-close 3-pass shave from the previous day. No discomfort on the 2013. The third pass drew some weepers on both sides (throat area) and left my skin quite sensitive in spots on both sides. The alum block finish left my face burning in numerous areas on both sides. 5-hour CC test: the 2011 side is a touch smoother than the 2013 side, but not by much.
    Day 3 (Derby Extra) With the grain, no issue— a close first pass. The second pass left me with 3-4 weepers on both sides; slight tugging on my tough spots (chin, upper lip) with both razors; Third pass: Ouch! With this blade, a painful third pass, especially on the 2011 side. Inflamed tender skin on the 2011 side; redness on the 2013 side. Note to self: Do NOT use Derby blades in this razor!

Conclusion: Both of these Mühles are exceptional, aggressive razors. The 2011 will probably shave you closer than the 2013 model, but at some cost. The 2013, at least in my experience, provides a smoother shave, especially if you shave against the grain. If you have a heavy beard, I would not hesitate to recommend either of these two razors. For those of us with lighter beards, a two-pass DE shave with the 2011 R41 will give you an incredibly close shave—rivaling what one gets with a straight razor. The 2013 R41 will get you there in three-passes, without some of the harshness the 2011 model.

For my own shaving regimen, I love my R41 (the 2011 model) as it does exactly what I ask it to, in spades, which is ‘give me an ultra-close, BBS-grade, 2-pass shave with no irritation.’ It appears now that the 2013 model will also do the job very efficiently and quite nearly as smooth as the 2011 model, and with less risk of irritation if I decide to do an occasional third pass ATG.

At least now, I have that option. :)

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Thanks for doing the test. It sounds like you enjoyed it. I used to own the 2011 model and currently own the 2013 and really like it for exactly the reasons you mentioned in your review. I'm curious if you had a chance to compare the blade curvature of the two caps. I've read that Muhle solved the blade flex of the 2011 model by putting more of a bend on the blade of the 2013 model. Wondering if you noticed that at all.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I venture to say that the larger top cap & base of the 2013 extends the downward compression across the surface of the blade, making the blade more rigid and less likely to flex.
    2011 on top; 2013 on bottom:
    [​IMG]

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

"Blade flex" - theory or reality once the blade is actually secured in the razor?
    Has anyone come across anything that shows this or measures it?

Great review, by the way, Kevin :happy088:

PatrickA51 and HolyRollah like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You bring up a great point, Steve. There has been much debate and postulating of theories on why Mühle decided to make this design change (enlarge both base & cap, yet maintain the same gap), and many claim the purpose was to simply make the blade more 'rigid.' On the surface it makes sense, but I'm in no position to do an extensive blade flex study. Now if I score a lucrative grant from Mühle….;) :D

Robyflexx, PatrickA51 and swarden43 like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Super review! I've haven't used the 2011. Probably for the reasons you mentioned. The biting. You also in a previous thread wrote about the angle, which completely changed the way my 2013 worked for me. Thanks. The only thing I found I didn't like about the R41 out of the box was the handle. Quick fix. Weber bulldog. Forget about the derby blade that's indued. I found Personna blue labs work great for me. Again thank you for the great review!!

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096:Very nice review Kevin and with some great pics to boot..:happy088:.It does make the R41 Muhle 2013 a little more interesting to me..However what I'm going to begin hunting for now is a used Muhle 2010 open comb razor..I'd like to see how it compares to a Cadet OC and a vintage Gillette OC(Old Style and "NEW")..:)

8. CyanideMetal

The Cadet is my favorite razor.

Thanks, Kevin.

Makes sense. Since the reason for bending the blade in the first place is to stabilize and make the blade rigid, it's possible to have too much or not enough bend in the blade that affects the shave. Maybe that's what Muhle was addressing. Thanks again for the comprehensive review.

9. 178-bplatoon

Have you ever mated your Cadet head to a Sabi, griesthshaving brass "FAT" handle or a vintage Gillette handle? I ask because I've tried my Cadet OC head with all of them and while it certainly works it doesn't seem to screw together smoothly..

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. CyanideMetal

Yea, the screw on the head of the Cadet is a little too long for most handles. I know Gary C. uses a Parker handle on his Cadet and it fits as is. I use BRW handles on all my razors and the Cadet wouldn't screw in nicely as you said. So I got my hacksaw out and cut off a little on the end of the screw. Works great now and fits any handle.

PatrickA51 and Tattoobob like this.
  11. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Great writeup Kevin...thanks for the review.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I don't mind the 'feel' of the R41 handles (both the regular or the Grande), but I wished they had a bit more weight to them. I've seen threads where owners have added weight by filling the handle cavity with lead shot & recapping it. I used an Ikon Bulldog II handle for a while on the R41.
    Now my new favorite is still this custom beauty...
    [​IMG]

RyX, PatrickA51, Tattoobob and 3 others like this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

That really is a nice handle...I like the looks of that knurling alot..Looks custom and grippy..:)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

To me I think Muhle simply messed up the design of the original 2011. They became cognizant of the fact from the feedback of shavers and simply redesigned the razor , the 2013, to get it right. Muhle has underplayed the redesign not because the changes are insignificant but because the costs of admitting a mistake are too high. What to do with the unsold stock of 2011? What to do with American retailers wanting to return stock? What to do with razor purchasers sore about being cut to ribbons and who now want a refund? How can we Muhle admit to making a " boo boo" with this one when we pride ourselves on perfection? Its bad for PR to admit we let out dud! It hard for people to say I got it wrong and its hard for companies as well. People don't lie because they are bad they lie because the costs of not telling a lie is too much to bear.:)

Some shavers have said they like the original R41 a lot but when you examine the way they have to use the razor to get a good shave they make significant adjustments to the razor to get it. Like Kevin is forgoing the ATG, one guy can only use it after 3 day growth , another can only use certain creams or limit blade use to one shave.

This isn't to abuse Muhle, I own 2 R 41 2013's and having a tough beard I think this is the best DE for me. Once I found the right blade to pair it with its delivering very close shaves , most times with a weeper or two but sometimes close, comfortable and clean.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hanzo, you may be spot on in your assessment. They may have reached too far while attempting to create an aggressive DE razor, and once it hit the public and negative feedback came in, some PR ensued by Mühle, with the CEO claiming in an interview (paraphrasing here):…"the R41 isn't for everyone. It's for the man who wishes to skip a shave now & then…not for beginners." etc.

I do really like the razor—both variations, if I must be honest. And there seem to a number of others who also like the aggressiveness of the 2011 version. But we must be in the minority, obviously, or Mühle wouldn't have gone to all this trouble with the clandestine redesign.

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The 2011 was a bit too much for me at the time and I haven't tried it since.

With the tweaks, I really like the 2013 version. The shave feels a lot like the Barbasol razor to me.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Great job on the review Kevin! It almost makes me want to try one :).

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I agree with Hanzo. The feedback told Muhle that for every shaver who loved it 15-20 said it was too aggressive and promptly put it on the BST part of the forums. You can sell more razors if it's built for the 15 people who thought the original was too much. As for my opinion I bought a R-41 (2011) Rose gold. And it was a bit too aggressive for me as well. Then won a PIF for a 2013 head. This is head fits the bill. You still have to be careful with it. But it has a bigger margin of error in it. I can't use it every other day, but when I miss a few days and want to really mow down the whiskers the 2013 is what I reach for.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I used the 2013 R41 this morning for touch up on a straight razor shave. It is still a quite aggressive DE razor, but compared to the 2011, it is noticeably smoother even in doing third-pass touch up following 2 close SR passes. Previously, I had been using the 2011 for all touch-ups, so I was keenly aware of the differences in 'skin feel' and any harshness present.

Blauer Max and PatrickA51 like this.
  20. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Active Member

Excellent review! And thank you for taking the time to do so!! I have been torn for a few days, on which of the two I was going to procure, and you have just settled it for me!! I will go for the 2013..and report back! Thank you again for the effort!

Sincerely,
    SE