DVD Player for new 1080i LCD TV

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by qhsdoitall, Dec 4, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Got any suggestions? I don't want to commit to a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD Player just yet. Nobody has won the war so I'm looking for a good upscaling DVD Player. I hear the OPPO DV-980H is pretty decent.

Charter Cable is coming out Thursday with my HD cable box and adding a jack so I can move the old TV. New HD Tivo Box after the first of the year. Standard cable really sucks on a HD LCD TV. The current DVD player is OK but I want to really make the new Philips shine when I watch DVDs not that it doesn't blow me away already. :D

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I actually just bought an up converting DVD player. It is a Sony DVPNS78H.

It goes up to 1080p and has HDMI output and the price was VERY reasonable, under 100 dollars new. I would highly recommend it if you see it.. does the job IMO.

3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Sony's are great DVD players. I got the DVP-NS90V 2 years ago and haven't had a problem with it. Clear, sharp picture.

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Not only that, I am amazed at how nice my DVDs look when up converted. They are not HD but they look damn good.

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Another vote for sony.

As far as the format war, i'm beginning to think there won't be a winner. I think in the end we'll have combo drives that can read both (some out now, but $$$). There's just too many big players on each side of the fence at this point, just my opinion.

6. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

+1.

Too much back and forth that I don't see a winner for a long time.. if at all. It needs to come soon or not at all.