Each of Three T's - which ones?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by geogaga, Aug 27, 2010.

1. geogaga

geogaga Member

As next month I'll become another year older, by the advice of my German friend Stefan, I decided to treat myself with three T's: Geo F. Trumper's, Taylor of Old Bond Street and Truefitt and Hill. The question is - which ones? I don't want to hear YMMV things. Just give your thoughts of each cream you've used and can compare to another: scent, latherability, skin treatment. I want something fresh, maybe some old-style, but not a cheap-like scent. I also want some after shave as well.

Hope you'll help, guys :) This is gonna be fun.

---
    I'm listening to "Sweet Violet Love Child" by Lords of Oblivion / http://bit.ly/9T2ImF

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Trumper's - I don't care for this as much as the other two T's, but the one that does smell good to me is the Violet. Almond is the only other one that doesn't smell artificial to me. Didn't seem to lather great (cream), but reviews of the soap are FAR better and I've been tempted.

Taylor - I've only tried a sample of almond, which was a good IIRC. Lathers very easy.

T&H - My favorite of the three. While I love the 1805 cologne, for creams I prefer the scent of the West Indian Limes. It's a spicy lime scent that's just slightly sweet (not life saver sweet).

Main difference in the three to me is skin care. Trumpers feel irritating, Taylors is pretty good, and T&H was very good. All are protective and slick.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The only T&H I have used is the Trafalgar. I took it over the other scents available because it appealed to me the most.

4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Not to hijack, but Eric, you really should give the Violet soap a go, nothing about it is synthetic, its a wonderfully scented soap.

5. geogaga

geogaga Member

Sounds like I have to get some samples. Anyone got these?

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, I can hook you up with the Trafalgar. PM me your address.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You can get samples from TSD store for any of these. T&H and Trumper's both sell sample packages. That is for those you that aren't volunteered by other members.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The blogger Bruceonshaving, Bruce Everiss, has a entry on samplers from London based companies with links to Trumpers, and I think to Truefitt.

I bought the Trumpers sampler for $6 post paid. Its just excellent, a generous sampler of colognes, cream , skin food, no shaving soap though. It definitely made me respectTrumper.

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well, you can get the complete sampler, including creams, balms, and colognes from T&H for $15.20 shipped with the code SMF10...

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Alexey, if I would have known you 2 years ago, and known you were looking for the 3 T's, I would have been happy to send you 2 Trumpers creams--both Almond and Lime, as well as a Taylors Sandalwood cream. Our timing is not too good, unfortunately! :)

11. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

TOBS Sandalwood. Then Eton College.

:bounce015

12. geogaga

geogaga Member

Unfortunately, mine (to Latvia from London) will be about 20 GBP shipped which is about 30$ :)

13. geogaga

geogaga Member

Two creams will be a lot for me, my friend :)

14. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I'll second the TOBS Eton College if it's a classic scent you're looking for. Just remember the whole expiration thing from my other thread ;).

I've tried samplers of T&H, but wasn't that satisfied w/ their slickness or lack thereof. I also used a tube of Trumpers Coconut which smelled outstanding but shaved only average. Again lacking in slickness even using copious amounts of water. Water type has a lot to do with it I think. The three T's don't shave well w/ hard water I've found. Though I still like TOBS best.

15. Islander

Islander New Member

You should try using the english website: change the ".com" to "co.uk"

16. geogaga

geogaga Member

Why change to .co.uk from .co.uk? :)

17. Bruceonshaving

Bruceonshaving New Member

I don't have much relevant T&H experience. I have been to the Trumpers and the TOBS stores in London a few times and chatted to the staff.

Trumpers violet, both soap and cream are supposed to be good for sensitive skin so I have used both extensively for years. Good stuff. The rose flavour is the same only different, to me not as good. The coconut cream is fantastic stuff, really lush.

TOBS are the best value for money. They have recently reformulated their creams to get rid of parabens. I tend to stand in the shop with the wife sniffing all the different samples. Favourites are Eton College, Lavender and Avocado. Of these the Avocado wins, it is really lush.

Hope this helps.

18. Islander

Islander New Member

I´m also in Europe so using the english website provides you with better prices for the samples you want, less than the 20£ you stated it would cost from ordering from the american website. Around 5£ the sampler if I´m not mistaken.

19. geogaga

geogaga Member

By writing about switching from "co.uk." to "co.uk" I was trying to point you that I already was visiting co.uk. Ok, it's not 20, but 17.77 now shipped to my place. Cologne and cream sample pack.

20. Lucky11453

Lucky11453 New Member

Samples are always a good idea....they are cheap and you get to try it.