Early birthday gift

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Suhrim21, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

So my mother gave me my bday gift early. I'll post the pics then talk about it.

20200810_172335_compress26.jpg 20200810_172339_compress73.jpg 20200810_172341_compress16.jpg 20200810_172344_compress65.jpg 20200810_172347_compress39.jpg 20200810_172351_compress64.jpg 20200810_172355_compress19.jpg 20200810_172357_compress48.jpg 20200810_172400_compress91.jpg

This strop is amazing. The leather is the softest leather I have ever touched. It is softer than the kanayama strop I used to own. Softer than the Fine Star strop i have. I cant emphasize and articulate how soft this leather is. I can say already this is going to be my favorite strop of any of the 18 or so I own.

Karl G, Pilotcld, J_Man and 9 others like this.
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Congrats. It looks to be in great condition. Btw, you have a super mom.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Suhrim21

Yes I do. Most of the really nice razors I have she bought. Her and I really got into collecting and are starting to restore no .

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Soft shell leather is a particular trait of "Scotch Shell," or horse hide shell that was tanned in Scotland. It was imported into the U.S. in the turn of the century and probably continued to be imported until 1936 or so. Imports may have resumed after WWII, but by then the demand for strops was already waning.

Karl G, Pilotcld, Rkep01 and 2 others like this.
  5. Suhrim21

Scotch shell is soft. I've had a few different scotch shell strips the softest being a Koken strop that I still regret selling. This strop is leaps and bounds softer than any scotch shell strip I have touched. It is softer than the Kanayama strop. This could very well be scotch shell and just broken in and used some sort of dressing that made it even softer.

I really appreciate the info you gave. Most of that info I was unaware of.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congrats, and happy early birthday.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Suhrim21 like this.
  7. Suhrim21

Thank you.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Happy birthday and congratulations, the strop looks like brand new.

9. Suhrim21

I was thinking so, but as you get closer and inspect it it was used just that Garey cant remember last name took extremely good care of the strop. The original owner wrote his name on the top inside leather.

10. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

That’s a beautiful strop and an awesome present! Congratulations! What a cool piece of history to have and give another life to!

Karl G and Suhrim21 like this.
  11. Suhrim21

Thank you. I really love this thing. I am so happy I have it. It is going to be hard to rotate it with my other strops. I may end up selling some of my strops since I'm sure I wont use them as much since I have this one.

Karl G and Pilotcld like this.