Early Ever-Ready Metal Case Restore

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I recently saw this case on Ebay, and for less than $10.00 shipped, I had to get it. From what I've been able to research, it's the same style used for the Shovel Head razor. Although, I did find one that had a Lather Catcher in it, and going by the early style latch, it's possible. So, since I might have the original Lather Catcher case someplace in a box, but I think it's in pieces, that's what I'm going to use it for. First pic from the seller as I got it..........
    s-l1600.jpg

One thing I found out when taking it apart is that there was a tremendous amount of glue to put it together. Precaution had to be used so I wouldn't tear everything so I could make good patterns..........
    1.jpg

And this is the finished case in the next two pics. For the brass logo, I noticed it's color, what was left of it, was a light green. So I used a light green Sharpie and ran it across a very fine sanding sponge to bring out the highlights. The Lather Catcher in the final pic..........
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Very nice. Looks new off the shelf. Well done.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

Thank you sir.

4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

WOW !!!!! Nice Work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

Thanks Cliff.

6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Very nice case, let me ask you a question, i have a Gillette Gold Tech case in good condition. What can I do to brighen up the blue liner, it's not torn or moldy just dull.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

I'd remove it and give it a good soak in Dawn dish soap. After a while, ten minutes or so, gently rub between your finger and thumb and soak for a few more minutes, then rinse. Let dry and re-glue back in place. It's how I clean dirty original linings I want to keep. But for a quick clean, without removing the lining, pour Dawn on a wet and soft toothbrush, I've even used Q-tips on small dirty areas, and gently run across it while still in the case. Then just pat it dry with a cloth.

Rusty blade, brit and stuartganis like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

nice work Jim..very cool..:)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

Thank you Gary.

brit likes this.