easiest pinning method

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by neiasden, Oct 7, 2022.

1. neiasden

neiasden Member

I've only done a few and both times were not what I would call a success, even though I got it done. it was crooked it didn't look good it was too much it was not enough.ugggg , I tried cutting the pin first and then I tried cutting the PIN off of a longer stock. I've seen all the YouTube videos, but I know somebody has perfected this process, every way I've seen it does has something difficult for me. you can tell me, I won't tell anybody, I promise. your secret is safe with me

2. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

You may want to use 16ga solid brass escutcheon pins.
    You'll only need to cut, file and peen once.
    As you get better at it you can switch to nickel-silver wire.

Let us see some of your work,
    -Cheers
    AJS

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. neiasden

neiasden Member

imageedit_1_7170851131.jpg imageedit_1_9983895212.jpg

4. neiasden

neiasden Member

this was my first attempt. I bent two pins before I got it in and I don't know how many I lost by dropping them LOL being in a wheelchair it's hard to pick something like that up I had a piece of tape on a stick

DaltonGang likes this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here are a couple of links to videos by Jamie Mahoney that might help.

ischiapp likes this.
  6. neiasden

neiasden Member

I've actually seen those. they are great videos. I'm one of those people that, no matter how much I get I want more. I want to be able to just touch somebody that knows everything about him and take their knowledge. I learned fast but there's a lot of people to learn from

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

‘I want to be able to just touch somebody that knows everything about him and take their knowledge.’

No one can tell you how to drive a car, ride a bicycle, or play a musical instrument.

Get to the ‘Wax on, wax off.’

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There is no easy "Method" in fact there is only one method, there are differing ideas on how to use tools to perform that method ..

Sooner or later, you have to form a peen using gently steady taps with a Ballpeen hammer, flip the razor over and form another you can only practice it to get good at it...

The newer "Nail" system uses only one peen on the back side, this is easier and faster BUT it takes away two points of adjustment for later .

9. neiasden

neiasden Member

I know you're right LOL baby steps. I'm just too broke to afford too many mistakes
    E="Steve56, post: 2053775, member: 19997"]‘I want to be able to just touch somebody that knows everything about him and take their knowledge.’

No one can tell you how to drive a car, ride a bicycle, or play a musical instrument.

Get to the ‘Wax on, wax off.’[/QUOTE]

10. neiasden

neiasden Member

if it were playing a musical instrument I would have it made. I played in bands all my life. I used to live in a van while we toured LOL. before I got hurt I played guitar bass drums and keyboard and I have over 100 songs written copy written registered published they're just not very good I did everything myself and I can't sing LOL good analogy though

immie, post: 2053861, member: 23456"]I know you're right LOL baby steps. I'm just too broke to afford too many mistakes
    E="Steve56, post: 2053775, member: 19997"]‘I want to be able to just touch somebody that knows everything about him and take their knowledge.’

Get to the ‘Wax on, wax off.’[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Use popsicle sticks to practice, I think I posted that to you before, they are more delicate than scales.. If you can pin them, scales are easier

You even get to enjoy the treat :)

DaltonGang, neiasden and Steve56 like this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

I will second what Glen said about the popsicle sticks. This was the way i learned. It didnt take many to get an understanding. Too long is what bends a pin. And makes for large peens. You just need enough to peen sticking up. I use a file to file the pin after its in place to fine tune the length I need for the second peen.

Practice!

neiasden and Steve56 like this.