Easy Aces (Genco) PIF: The Dark Side is Calling

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by Keithmax, Dec 2, 2016.

?

What is your experience with straight razors

1. Never tried a straight razor nor a shavette

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Tried a shavette but not a traditional straight razor.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Tried a straight razor and shavette

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Tried a straight razor but not a shavette

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This is some classic American steel. I tried to sell it but it garnered no interest. I though about putting it on the 'bay but I prefer it goes to someone in the den so I decided to run a PIF.

This is a 5/8 full hollow grind razor with a blued tang. It is in excellent shape, both the blade and scales.

This a world wide PIF

The PIF will end sometime between Dec 16 and 25 depending upon my mood. I will selected the winner randomly and you can receive multiple entries by the rules below:

You promise the razor will not be sold and if you don't like you will PIF it here at The Den

Say 'I am in' and you get one ticket

Explain why straights are cool and earn a ticket

If you are regular poster in the 30 day thread the you earn an additional ticket

You have never owned a straight razor and want to join the dark side you earn one ticket. If you have a shavette but no SR then you can receive this ticket.

If you donate to The Shave Den between Dec 1 and when I close the PIF (minimum $10) then I will double the number of your tickets.

Good Luck!
    ID - 1 (1).jpg ID - 1.jpg

Karl G, DaltonGang, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Nice pif! :happy088: Not in.

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm in! I've been fascinated with straight razors for quite awhile, but haven't made the leap to the "dark side" yet. I think my fascination stems from the connection to the past, combined with the looks, and knowing that you hold one of the sharpest objects you're likely to encounter. Thanks for the PIF!

Edit to add that I've donated to the Den, don't want to miss out on all possible chances to win this beautiful piece of history! Thanks again, @Keithmax!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

That is a gorgeous straight. Not in, but thanks for doing this!

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is a great opportunity for newer converts! Kudos, and good luck to all who enter.

Karl G, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

NOT IN as I already have a number of straight that I don't use often enough. Beautiful piece of hardware. I appreciate your sharing spirit and the points system listed. Hope it goes to a straight curious newbie, be they long time member or new to TSD.

7. Map1

Map1 Member

I'm in. That's a nice sr I have been wanting one with some thing on the tang. I think I sr is top shelf becouse the nostalgic history and the sence of accomplishment. It's really cool to learn to home a piece of metal into something so sharp a Dr could use for surgery. N e way . I would never sell it . And I would PIF it. But what does pif mean. Well on a final note I don't break out and I get smoother results

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I am in!

I've been eyeing straights more lately but have never tried one.

For me, straights are cool as a connection to the past. I'm a history buff and really enjoy using razors and shaving goods and techniques that our fathers, grandfathers, and on and on would have used.

I also enjoy a new challenge and think straight shaving will certainly qualify as one!

Thanks for the opportunity.

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice PIF. I'm in and I would never sell it. I would only part with it on a PIF here at the Den....... I've always thought that straight razors were cool since I first saw two that my Dad had. They just had the "look"....... And I also don't own any straight razors.......

10. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I am in. Straights are cool because they are a direct link to the past.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I am in

Straights are cool because they take you back to a time when men were men. They worked with their hands and took care of their tools, and their tools lasted and took care of them.

There is a sense of raw masculinity in the whole process

Keithmax likes this.
  12. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Not in, but great PIF! Thank you for your generosity

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

PIF means pass it forward, i.e. donate it to another Den member.

RyX likes this.
  14. Map1

Map1 Member

Well that makes sense. That's kinda what I thought I ment wasn't sure on verbiage. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

You know what ... I already own a few straights, but this one's a beauty - so I'm in (and promise I won't sell it).

I think straights are cool because they are tools that stood the test of time. And they require actual skill (a fact they remind you of from time to time) ;)

Great PIF btw - thank you very much!

Keithmax likes this.
  16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I'm in!
    I've never owned a straight but I think it's the purest form of shaving.
    I own a cheap shavette but I never really had the guts to use it.
    I promise to not to sell the razor.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Bama Samurai, Keithmax and PLAla like this.
  17. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I'm in.
    I promise the razor will not be sold and if you don't like you will PIF it here at The Den.
    Straights are cool because they invoke a cave man near beast mentality and what it means to be a traditional shaver.
    I have never owned a straight razor and want to join the dark side.
    I have donated 2 razors and $15 to the TSD December 2016 raffle.

Visit the raffle here...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/tsd-raffle-december-2016.53666/

Keithmax likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Great PIF, Keith— and that's a sweet razor!
    Not in, but I wish the best to those who are entered and if you're brand new to SR shaving, this is a great way to give it a go!
    :happy088:

19. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I promise I will never sell it but PIF it here should I not like it.
    I'm in. What a great PIF, worldwide too :)

Shaving with a straight razor is cool. It connects us, going back in time, to the first civilisations, who fashioned a razor sharp edge from copper to shave with. From that time on, man has chosen to shave; to present himself either as clean shaven to the World, or to shape his beard in the style of his tribe. Depictions in hieroglyphs in the tombs of ancient Egypt clearly show this. Shaving with a straight is iconic. It is only two generations back that the only way to shave was with a straight. That's how my grand-dad shaved. We are the latest to carry that tradition and history forward, for another few thousand years.

When I was a child, I watched westerns. Men were shaved in the barbers chair. The baddie would come looking for trouble; the chair swivelled and guns smoked. On the plains real Cowboys shaved with a Bowie knife. We may not be stars of the silver screen, gents but in our bathroom's, real men shave. Next time you leave your shave den, try whistling a tune from a Western ;)

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice pif. Not in though. I don't think I am ready for the Dark side yet.

mrchick, Keithmax and Redfisher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.