Eating keto/low carb

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Mar 16, 2019.

1. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Eggs! Lots of them.

My splurge is Fathead pizza on Fridays.

I like making Fathead crackers, for eating with meat/cheese.

And I oven bake cheese slices to make "tortilla chips" for dipping in salsa and guacamole.

gorgo2 and jluc like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Late lunch with one of the daughters at Outback. Split a big ribeye, had the quarter head of lettuce with blue cheese, grilled asparagus and unsweetened tea. Keto sticks still dark purple, I need to up my water intake.

brit and jluc like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Many years ago, I heard eating too many eggs was bad for your cholesterol. Recently, I've heard they are healthy and a good source of protein. In the past few months, I've been eating 2 or 3 boiled eggs (plain old store brand...not the more expensive brand) and an avocado every day. The increase in protein has been very satisfying and has helped me lose weight. The Heart Foundation recommends eating no more than 6 or 7 eggs per week, and a recent JAMA study associated egg consumption and dietary cholesterol with cardiovascular disease risk.

I feel that my overall diet is about as healthy as it has ever been - low fat, more protein/less carbs, & less dairy, refined sugar and red meat. I'm trying to get daily exercise as well. With those things in mind, I have no current plans to reduce my egg consumption of about 18 eggs per week for the long haul. I'm sure folks here that have researched the Keto diet know much more than I do regarding egg consumption. If so, could you please enlighten me? Thank you.

brit, gorgo2 and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found it. Three flavors sold out. I wanted to try the butter pecan but the manager managed to find a buried case of the PB fudge buried in the back.

Tried a spoonful. Overall it's excellent with excellent mouthfeel from all the fat. PB flavor is very authentic, mixed with chocolate, that part works. Funny thing is, there's no particular artificial flavor stands out but there's something there I'm not familiar with (maybe the monk fruit). Slightly odd PB-ish aftertaste, almost like the aftereffect of strong coffee, but nothing terrible. It would be easy to overindulge on this stuff. Guy says it's still a regular item in the system, the delivery people are supposed to stock three times a week. So at least it'll still be there.

The manager pointed out a bit cheaper brand called Halo with lots more flavors, but the carb count, while low-ish, was somewhat higher, so I passed.

Now if they have a coffee version this good? I'm there.

wristwatchb and jluc like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Emailed Rebel a question, here's the answer.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Fasted 17 hours from last night until I started getting hungry. Had my buttered coffee, the two egg sausage thing and a spoon of PB and syrup. Feel quite satisfied.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats on your progress, and thanks for sharing your journey with us. What is your goal, and do you plan to continue with with a Keto diet after you attain it?

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You are most welcome, I love reading how others are doing.

For me, weight isn't the issue even though I've got the usual 50 year old tire. The main reason I've been (more or less) low carb for over 10 years is this..

Screenshot_2019-03-21 Type 2 Diabetes - 23andMe.png

My dad is Type 2 so this alert, which I got last week, comes as no surprise. Doesn't guarantee that I'll get Type 2 but the risk is there, as well as slightly elevated for Celiac. So in light of both, I have to be as keto as possible for the duration.

Speaking of the tire, it is shrinking. This morning I bought my first pair of jeans in a long time, a 32 waist that fits comfortably for the first time in awhile (meaning more than enough room for the Ruger in the waistband).

Had fish and vegetables for lunch right around 2:00, the fasting app is set for 16 hours. I will eat again tomorrow morning.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Gorgo2, Which app are you using?

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    wristwatchb likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Fasted 17.5 hours until I started feeling hungry. 2 cups of coffee with bit of half and half was breakfast. Just had lunch...a few queen olives, celery sticks with Braunschweiger, and some pork rinds dipped in blue cheese dressing.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Protein for supper. Skillet browned ground chuck mixed with shredded red cabbage sauteed in beef broth. Seasoned with pepper, season salt and about a tablespoon of A-1. Not bad.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    ghostlife likes this.
  13. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I've found for my metabolism (so it seems) that if I stay ~60g of carbs/day, and have an eating window of ~6 hours/day, I can consume 1800-2000 calories and LOSE weight. That's with no 'work out' per se, although I am active on my feet 7-10 hours per day (per my Apple Watch Health app), and very active on weekends (usually working). I also use mynetdiary to track things (food distribution and blood sugar). What I'm trying to do now...is make it more keto. That's the tougher part when the family isn't following along.

Pork Rinds and Blue Cheese Dressing. Interesting. May have to try that!

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My threshold was about 50 gm back when I was monitoring blood sugar. I expect it's lower now that I'm older but one thing that never tripped my insulin? Steel cut oats with butter and s/f syrup.

SharptoothC and wristwatchb like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i heard the same news, too many eggs bad,now the opposite.. maybe the egg farmers are hurting..

gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  16. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Sardines!

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Kippers!

americanshamrock likes this.
  18. americanshamrock

Yes! Smoked fish with a variety of veggies and a good porter/stout = Heaven!

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Don't forget some cream cheese on the side, oh yeah.

brit and americanshamrock like this.
  20. americanshamrock

Cream cheese, sliced havarti, munster.provolone, or sour cream with horseradish. Adding dairy is like adding bacon, can't go wrong.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    gorgo2 and brit like this.