Eating keto/low carb

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Mar 16, 2019.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

The cholesterol is in the Yolks, but believe me, egg whites alone are bland. You could try cooking 1-2 egg whites with one whole egg if you want.

gorgo2, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Rebel's butter pecan is pretty darn good.

brit likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Excellent.

brit likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Intermittent fasting. No processed sugar. Only real foods. Change your perceptions and palate. Eat like your DNA demands. It works. Seriously, it works.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is the composition of the fat that determines that. That is partially due to diet and amount of physical activity the animal gets.

It is the same deal with grass feed beef and in turn butter. If you are going to diet spend the extra on butter from grass fed cows. You can see the difference in color and texture from the other butters. More importantly process it one extra step and turn into ghee. Between ghee and coconut oil that is about all you need to keep on track for fat and oils with cooking in a diet. Ghee also happens to be a good fat burner

You can flavor the ghee with garlic like butter, fry with it, make popcorn that is popped in the ghee and tastes nice and buttery without excess oils. Using ghee and the pink salt makes for a very healthy popcorn snack that also is a fat burner.

SharptoothC, Bama Samurai and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

My wife and I are trying to focus on getting into a keto diet, me for weight loss and because I am a diabetic, and her as she has developed some wheat and gluten allergies. I'd love some ideas on quick and easy meals the whole family can enjoy. It's difficult to find things the kids will eat. Two of my favorites so far:

For snacks: sliced cucumber topped with cream cheese, smoked salmon and fresh dill. Incredible.

Meal: deconstructed egg rolls. I sautee shredded cabbage, julliened carrots, turkey sausage, and aminos. It's a quick, easy, delicious meal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  8. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Have you tried Swerve yet? It is the only artificial sweetener I’ve ever been able to tolerate. No aftertaste and low glycemic index. I don’t remember how to spell the chemical name - something like Eurheritol.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  9. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I have been on Keto since February and lost over 60 pounds and great improvement in lipids. I’m 90% carnivores and mostly OMAD but trying to eat twice a day. Doc doesn’t want me to loose much more weight. Finally I can eat all the salt bacon I want and not feel guilty.

Kilgore Trout and brit like this.
  10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Yes, we use Swerve as well, although monk fruit is our go to sweetener. Both are great substitutes for sugar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. MariamWQ

MariamWQ New Member

I also find that sautéed cabbage is a great low-carb option and it's great to hear that you were able to enjoy it at a local Chinese buffet.
    Me, I enjoy eating a lot of non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini. I find that I can make a lot of delicious meals with these ingredients such as cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, and broccoli salad.
    Instead of just thinking about cutting carbs, I try to think about all the ways my body will improve as I make healthier choices and eat nutrient-dense foods. I recently came across the website https://reverse.health/ and found it helpful for learning more about how to improve my overall health.

gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lunch: two eggs fried in butter along with sliced leftover steak, and a mug of tea.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Canned sardines in oil. Just make sure you get ones sourced from the North Atlantic. One of your best bangs for your buck in nutrition also. I spend 98 cents per tin at Walmart. They also make for good survival food if you prep since you can find tins that are up to 5 years on the use by date.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Also, be selective about which oils they're canned with.

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Also depends how much you want to pay per can. What I do with the oil if I don't drink it with the fish is I strain it first then use it instead of olive oil in my home made italian dressing and use that to dress a salad with the same choppd up sardines. Yeah I know this a keto thread but a lettuce salad with vegetables is only about 1 to 3 grams of carbs per serving. Add the sardines and an oil based dressing makes it keto.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Breakfast...

1 can King Oscar mackerel in olive oil
    3 soft boiled eggs
    tbsp melted butter
    S/P, some everything bagel seasoning, a dash of mustard

Smash it all together, it's basically a non-fried mackerel patty. Was quite good.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lunch yesterday and today, salmon cream cheese on pork rinds. It's good.

18. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Today's dinner was spaghetti squash with blue cheese and buffalo sauce and chicken . My wife made it so I don't have the details other than it was delicious.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Avoiding dairy and eggs for awhile.

B: four strips of bacon and four sausage links.

L: thin 5 oz sirloin, three strips of bacon.

D: one thin pork chop.

Feeling fine.

lightcs1776 likes this.