eBay rant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Jan 16, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

it just gripes me that people won't or are too cheap to put more than 1 photo of a razor (or any listing for that matter). i mean $.15 a pic or for a whole $.75 you can get up to 6 super sized photos (which is what i always use). i really like the ones that have 5 paragraphs describing the item, and then that one little (most often blurry) pic. I know the more you put in the add the more costs. It usually me costs me $1.10 if there are no specials running. IIRC $.35 to list it $.75 for the pics and bam its listed.

sorry, looking at razors too long today had to vent :D

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

this is why you should skip ebay and go straight to tsd classified listings. :D Seriously, that's how I've bought all my razors (and a big chunk of my blades) and I have yet to have a problem.

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

What kind of razor are you looking for? If you do a WTB....someone will help you out.

4. sas71

sas71 Member

^
    until i learn a little more i really dont know. i really like the Fat boy for some reason. just a good looking razor and with the settings i imagine i wouldnt need anything else. also i seem to be attracted to TTO styles with big thick handles but there again til i educate myself on things i dont want to jump into buying a used one just yet. money is tight no i dont have a lot of room for error to buy a handful and try out .

just found the aggressiveness chart at B$B..that clears up things a lot

5. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

What burns my butt is somebody who charges $10 shipping 1st class for a single razor.
    Then it comes in a regular envelope wrapped in newspaper.
    I just sent a padded envelope to Germany 1st class cost $2.20.

6. fatcity

fatcity New Member

I feel your pain.

Stopped using ebay in general a year ago (used to buy vintage cigarette cases- before I got into DE shaving)

Now, I am looking for good DE razors, but am hesitant about ebay.

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I agree, Bob. I ship all my razors wrapped in bubble wrap (I eat the cost), in an unused shipping box (I eat the cost), filled with packing peanuts (I eat the cost) and sell everything with an overall price including shipping. Heck, I even throw in free gifts worth a few bucks.

When I sell something for $15 shipped it can easily cost me $5 or more shipping and packaging alone. Yet, I have seen on eBay where someone charges $6 S&H and it comes in that paper wrapped envelope deal.

Yup, you are preaching to the choir, Bob.

:rolleyes:

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Whenever I can I re-use packing material. I get so much coming in, it just seems wasteful to throw it away and buy new stuff. I do agree with the point though, that it doesn't take much to pack something well, and shipping should not cost that much.

9. sas71

sas71 Member

that kills me to. i ship everything priority (you can get the boxes free) since i mostly ship stuff under 5 lbs so the cost isnt too bad. if someone over pays for shipping i will return it unless its a dollar or less but pushing $2, i dont feel right keeping it.

10. paydepst

paydepst Member

I never ship anything in a padded envelope--wish the bloody things had never been invented as a LOT of people out there actually think they afford some protection.

Regarding the photos on Ebay, if you want to see additional photos then ASK. Sending photos to someone that requests them via email and thus presumably shows serious interest is potentially more rewarding and cheaper for the seller. Why put even more money in Ebay's pockets? It isn't necessarily that they are a cheapskate.

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, that's not only limited to ebay.

I was looking for a Grindenstein knock box for my espresso machine. The pound/euro rate is excellent right now and the shipping costs in Great Britain are very cheap so I wanted to buy in GB. The knock box costs 10-15 quid over there (roughly the same in € ). Wanna know the shipping charges (normal package, no express service)? 20 pounds, 28 pounds, 35 pounds, 70 pounds. A small packet (royal mail) would cost roughly 3-5 pounds...

Needless to say I didn't order anywhere. At least in GB that is ;)

@topic: I rarely sell on ebay but when I do I always include several (good!) pictures and a honest description of the item. In the end the eytra work and investment usually pays off.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I shipped over 100 razors by padded envelope until I realized that it doesn't take a very big bump at all to bend a safety bar, a drop from 3+ feet can ruin an otherwise perfect razor. Since then I've shipped exclusively in reused boxes with reused packing materials. Mark is right on this and it applies 100x to international packages.

13. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Reason #159871234 to really like this place.

Thanks, Gents, for the care you use every day in shipping! My first experience demonstrated that level of care, and it impressed me.

14. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I wish I could reuse supplies. I hardly ever get anything coming in to reuse, and when I do my wife usually grabs it, or it goes into the trash. Everything I send out uses a new box, new bubble wrap and new shipping peanuts, which I am sure many of you can confirm.

15. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I had a Rolls Razor fall the near three feet from my mail slot to the floor yesterday...It was packaged in a padded envelope :mad:

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will not even bid on things with outrageous shipping. I figure that if they will try to get me on the shipping they will do the same with the razor.

How bad did it damage it?

Fuzzy

17. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Lucky
    for me (and the seller), the razor didn't get damaged.
    These things weigh a ton!

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good to hear... you know Razor abuse can get you put into a non shaving cell (not even a psycho) for quite a spell...

Fuzzy

19. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I never sent TTOs by padded envelope, only solid metal object wrapped in that white foam sheeting that I get free from work. Replacement cabinet door come wrapped in it and I save it.
    I find if a person spend a few minute to do a good packing job they will have no problems.
    But I received a travel tech with the metal case that was just stuffed in a large envelope no padding of any kind.
    I got it in one of those post office plastic bags, a machine had eaten it, tore it opened and the cap and handle were missing.

20. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

Christmas and Chanukah was a windfall for my shipping supplies collection.