ebay soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by John Robertson, Dec 10, 2016.

1. I was wondering your thoughts on these soaps. While totally new I am looking to try lots of things and see whats best for me. Just trying to figure all this out

Shaver X, wristwatchb and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @John Robertson ! You might take a moment and post in the WELCOME Center. It's a great place for you to get to know folks. When you ask questions in your very own thread all that info is right there for easy reference.

On to this question ( Good job finding the correct forum and posing your question!) Glycerine based soaps are favored by a few shavers. They do make slick soaps. Were I you I'd order a small quantity to try em out. I say small quantity because one puck of soap lasts a long time. Be a shame if you got lots and didn't like it.
    There are other soaps that don't cost much more ( or less even) that may perform better. Personally I like a tallow (animal fat) based soap. Lanolin also adds important qualities to how well a soap lubricates your skin. Some have vegetable oils if you'd prefer a vegan style.
    Look into a sample sized soap purchase to try more than one because scents are quite the variable. Then there's unscented...

wristwatchb likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I tend to stick with the tried and true soaps that never disappoint (T&H, TOBS, barrister and mann, Stirling soap co., Mickey Lee soap works, and catie's bubbles).

I will give others a try if I hear really good things though, unfortunately...i haven't heard about these, and the fact that they are glycerin is not promising. Glycerin is usually no good. Look for tallow. There are a select few vegan soaps that are good too...but just a few.

Bobcat and RyX like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never had a problem with most glycerin soaps.
    Check out the Shave of the Day threads to get an idea of what others are using.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I enjoy an occasional Col Conk Lime lather myself. I think Van Der Hagen is glycerin based and I like the scent of the Deluxe.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As you can see from the following picture, although the tins I got were from another vendor, I have a few of their soaps. I like their various scents, prices and performance. There is also another listing for their soaps as they do have a lot of them and I plan on getting a few more, at least three more to fill my remaining tins.

IMG_0753.jpg

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  7. jimjo1031

Oh yeah, almost forgot my manners, welcome to the Den.

RyX likes this.
  8. Thanks for your input. This is all very new to me.

TheFiveO likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Knowing scent is a subjective choice, do you have a favorite? I am intrigued by one particular description.

"Spearmint: 100% Pure and All-Natural Spearmint Essential Oil. Smells like spearmint gum."

I pick fresh mint to brew with my sweet tea. It would be great to shave with it too. I see they also make a Which Hazel based MOISTURIZING AFTERSHAVE SPLASH.
    Hummm. Just what I need, another soap and AS. ;)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Hard choice, but I do like their barber shop scents, Barber Shop 1920's and Shave & A Haircut, along with Tobacco & Bay Leaf and Breau Brummel Cybilla. They seem do go well with Bay Rum or Musk type after shaves. Their Spearmint has the Wrigley's type of scent, just not too sweet, if that makes sense. Also. hard to beat the combined shipping they offer.

RyX likes this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

John, welcome to The Shave Den!

I think it's wise to try different soaps to see which ones you like best. That's part of the fun. There's only one way to find out if you really like those soaps you found on eBay. :)

If you want some more ideas, you can see what I have in My Shave Den. You will see links like this in many member's signatures. I've only used a handful of different soaps, and I like everything from Arko (cheap) to MdC (not cheap). I've been on a Tabac kick lately.

Keep us posted on which soaps you select, and be sure to share your impressions. :happy088:

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

@John Robertson the bike in your avatar photo - Vintage Honda? I recognize the gauge cluster and front rim. It looks similar to my 1982 Magna.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den! I would go with a proven winner like TOBS, Arko, Proraso...etc.......

14. It is a 1980 GS Suzuki GS550. Daily driver part of the year. I live in the Chicago area so there are a few months when riding just is not worth it.

RyX likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I grew up in a 'burb half way between Chicago and Joliet - Lemont. Living on the South Coast now and it's still too cold here.
    My bike has been daily driver. It's parked last couple years. I'm dreading a total rewiring project. Last two times out I got stuck and needed rescue. Been parked since then.

16. Wow crazy small world. I live in Frankfort. Not far at all from Lemont.

RyX likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

could be a choice for me down the road.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

Hard to beat for the price, good soaps for anyone to start with before deciding to try other ones.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

too late then, I've already tried TSD, WSP, and Clubman. But seriously, LMS sounds good too.

jimjo1031 likes this.