Economy Soap Choices

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by willir6, Feb 27, 2009.

1. willir6

willir6 New Member

Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to wetshaving and I am also a college student. This means that I have little money to express my desire to try the many types of shave soap out there. I received a Col Conk soap when I purchased my razor and that is all I have been able to use so far. So my question is, what soaps out there do you recommend for their affordability due to my limited budget?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Col Conk is a good one.

Also Van Der Hagan (the same thing) Williams, Tabac, Taylor of old bond st are good for the money.

Should also check out some of our local vendors (such as the TSD Store) Soapbuddy, The Gentlemans Quarter. etc...

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Welcome aboard! I would say for the cheapest....VDH (vanderhagen.sp?) which can found at walmart or most drug stores. $2 a puck and I hear its mighty fine things about the stuff. I would strongly suggest personally though Tabac or Pre De Provence. Both are around $15 but will last many months and really will give you a quality shave. There are many inexpensive soaps also. The Shave Den soaps are $7 for 4 ounces and its a damn fine soap as well! I personally would probably go with the TSD but maybe pick up some VDH at the local store also.

4. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

:sihns011

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

By affordable, do you mean low price, or best value? If you don't want to pay a lot, I think you should try out the TSD soaps - you get a lot of soap, and they really are nice for a cheap price. But these soaps will run out quicker. If you want to make a little bit bigger initial investment, there are several really good triple milled soaps that will last much longer, and you can get a refill puck (save yourself the money and don't buy them with the soap bowl) for under $20.

But if you really want a great soap that will last a while and is really cheap, grab some shave soap sticks - the Speick and Palmolive soap sticks are some of my favorite soaps, they are triple-milled, so they will last longer, and they are really cheap. If you want really cheap, the Arko shave soap sticks are an incredible value, give a great lather - but some find the scent very unappealing. You can find these soaps at www.superlather.com, www.shavingessentials.net, www.razorandbrush.com, and even here in the TSD store.

6. willir6

willir6 New Member

Thank you for the pointers. Are the sticks used in a different manner than pucks as far as the actual process of building lather?

A lot of people are mentioning Tabac; I will have to look into it.

7. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

The sticks are designed to rub on your face for face lathering. A lot of people buy them, mill them down into a bowl and then bowl lather. You can rub the shave stick all over your brush but it is a little harder to do.

8. willir6

willir6 New Member

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The Bunny will suggest going to the local wal greens or CVS or what have you and get some Williams.... easy to lather .. nice slick lather and cheap as dirt.. I like VDH but will williams is better.

Fuzzy

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Ogallala is good and it is also cheap. You can pick up a sampler of different soaps for $5 and while you are at it get a sample of their cologne for $.01. The owner also tends to toss in a free sample as well.

I haven't used them... but Pirates cove is cheap and supposed to be good.

11. willir6

willir6 New Member

Wow looks like I came to the right place. The advice just keeps coming!

12. aircoder

aircoder Member

Back in the college days on a budget I usted to buy
    colonel conk glycerin shave soap: amber

Stuff is pretty slick if lathered correctly and loved the smell

Just food for thought
    Coder.

13. willir6

willir6 New Member

That is the exact kind they sent me Coder. It is a real pleasant smell (of course I have no other kind to compare too). Maybe I will try another Conk's sometime, it is quite inexpensive.

14. aircoder

aircoder Member

Which of the Conk bars did they send you?
    coder.

15. willir6

willir6 New Member

16. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I like VDH Deluxe. TSD soap is awesome, and well-priced. As mentioned, though, tiey go a bit quickly. For 2 dollars, though, you can't beat the VDH. Williams is also dirt-cheap, but I don't care for the scent myself.

17. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Here, the choices are few, but good ones:

1. Williams, in the little blue & white square box, $1/puck at Fred's(a small discount chain across the south), a little more at other places.

2. Van Der Hagen (VDH) Deluxe, at $1.50/puck, at Brookshire's/Super 1 supermarket chain.

18. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yep, what the guys said! I have a puck of VDH and it's worth the 1.50 IMHO

19. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Another vote for Williams. It took me a bit to learn how to lather it up right but it was worth it. Love the stuff now...

20. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

I had luck with Williams soaps, Tabac, Omega creams. Williams takes a bit of learning. I usually do bowl lathering rather than face lathering