Edwin Jagger customer service

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by battle.munky, Aug 27, 2016.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

As I've posted previously, my EJ DE 89L has begun to peel plating off at the threads of the top cap. I figured before I ordered a new one that I would email EJ and see what/if they could do anything, so I did. My personal opinion is that they should replace the cap even though it has been several years. If the plating was right, it should never allow moisture in to allow the zamac to corrode beneath. I did not put any of these personal thoughts in the email; I want to see how they respond organically. A new cap isn't that expensive but there shouldn't even be a need to make the purchase IMO. I'm not going to be butthurt if they come back and tell me to buy a new one but I am interested to see if they take care of me or not. I have spent about $300 on EJ products over the years on various hardware and software.

I did intentionally put my mailing address in the email to give them a chance to completely blow me away. I have little faith that an unsolicited "here, have a new cap" shipment will happen, but I figured I'd at least tempt fate.

I thought I'd bring you all along on the journey. I just hit send before hopping over to TSD to make this post, so let's see how this goes. I'm rooting for them!

Standby for updates as they roll in.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Is that your primary shaver these days?

Not sure which way I go on this one. I could see them just sending you a head. Otherwise, it will be a we appreciate the email, but...

Good luck.

battle.munky likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've been shaving with my EJ DE89 for the past 10 days. I really like the feel and the way it shaves. I am rooting for you to get a new head.

battle.munky likes this.
  4. battle.munky

I float between it, a 40's SS, a black tipped 40's SS, and a fat handled 1932 Canadian Tech. I loaned my dad my 2011 R41 so he could be savaged for a while. Ever since the 89 started peeling though, I've mainly been sticking to the black tipped 40's SS. Those are great razors.

PanChango and Robyflexx like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice. One day I realized that I can get just as good of a shave with a tech as with anything else without the irritation. For the most part I swap between a prewar tech and a feather portable. When I need a change, a Gillette New Deluxe or Improved get pulled out.

And good look with your 89.

macaronus, Robyflexx and battle.munky like this.
  6. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

There are a lot of great shaving companies around nowadays, it will be interesting to hear if EJ has the customer service to stand out a bit above the rest.

battle.munky likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

****please note the following is an attempt at humor and not a real actual note from the Edwin Jagger company, who make fine razors that can indeed be safely used in water***

Dear Valued Customer

We at Edwin Jagger strive to produce product(s) that meet or exceed the expectations of our loyal customer base. Edwin Jagger has a reputation of quality products and service renowned throughout the industry. We pride ourselves on a commitment to excellence and seek to pursue a higher standard with every new launch of quality Edwin Jagger products. We at Edwin Jagger realize that, despite our vigorous efforts to ensure happy and loyal customers, at certain times situations beyond our control occur resulting in a product that fails to match our high standards. Your particular situation, regrettably, falls outside the legal bounds of responsibility for the Edwin Jagger company. It appears your device has been exposed to moisture (i.e. water, fluid, non-solid), violating the Edwin Jagger warranty and/or coverage outlined in fine print on the EJ website, and thus the ensuing damage done is not covered by Edwin Jagger. We apologize for any inconvenience and we hope you continue on as a loyal Edwin Jagger customer.

Regards
    Norris Wimbly
    Edwin Jagger
    Customer Service Rep

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Metro, PLANofMAN, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  9. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

The fact that they include water as a material that violates their warranty makes me not want to purchase anything from them. It is after all supposed to be designed for wet shaving.

10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Edwin Jagger, for the dry shaving enthusiasts! :happy097:

Metro, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Great razors, just don't shave with them...it might void the warranty Ben! :happy102:

12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I guess rinsing the razor is out.

13. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

That's a joke, right???

PLANofMAN, battle.munky and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Robyflexx

It's gotta be a joke.

AGHisBBS and battle.munky like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  16. battle.munky

Nothing. Nada. Radio silence. Crickets.

3 business days and no response to an email even is not what I would gauge as awesome customer service.

The experiment continues!

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, George X and 3 others like this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

At the very least, it would be interesting to request a clarification of how their "device" can be used without exposing to to moisture (i.e., water, fluid, non-solid).

Hmm... encasing it in a block of ice (i.e., solid water) might be okay, but not practical.

Seriously, though, this has *got* to be the strangest thing I've ever heard of. I could see playing a generic "improper use and/or care" card, but we're talking about a razor... not a cell phone.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Read two posts above yours

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hopefully this phony blurb won't be copied and pasted verbatim onto other shave forums to create outrage at the EJ company...:o
    ***Smileys added to the original post to imply humor.***

20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Okay, I fell for that one. :)