Edwin Jagger DE89 Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LevelupShaves, Jul 26, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Last week I used my Edwin Jagger DE89 BL exclusively and it was one of the best weeks worth of shaves I've ever had. Now to be fair my technique has improved considerably over the last few months so I can get a good shave out of any of my razors but I was still really impressed with this razor.
    [​IMG]
    The DE 89 model I have has a faux ebony handle that seems like it would be slippery but it's really not at all. That nice looking handle attaches to a base plat and head that are completely covered in chrome and covered quite well. Even in the spots that it wouldn't matter the chrome work is impressive to say the least. This is a 3 piece razor with a nice scalloped guard that lends itself to an easy to find shaving angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From a performance standpoint this is a top notch razor all around. It's on the mid to mild side as far as aggressiveness goes but not so mild it can't do the job. This is often recommended as a beginner razor and for good reason it's easy to find the angle and it's fairly mild but don't write it off if you've been at this for awhile. This is also a great razor for seasoned vets because of its excellent design and nearly perfect balance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At just $30 the Edwin Jagger DE89 is a great buy and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice looking easy to use quality razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    StewB, mrchick, Zykris and 4 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

So many other razors are clones of this...good review.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice review. It's a handsome razor for sure, and it has always been a good shaver for me.

Bama Samurai and FaceScraper like this.
  4. LevelupShaves

I didn't have the skill level to appreciate this razor when I first used it but now that I'm a little better I can't help but notice how well the guard really lends itself to riding the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaceScraper and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Indeed. It requires riding the cap to get optimal angle. Also yields a very smooth shave this way.

FaceScraper likes this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Good review! Some version of the 89 seems to have been the first DE razor for quite a few of us, myself included. It is still my only modern razor and I realize I've neglected it for months. Will have to rectify that.

7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Good review...and spot on! I have the Baxter of California razor, which is the same as the Muhle R89 (and made by Muhle, I believe), which is pretty much the same as the EJ 89's. The geometry of the head is excellent, so I can see why everyone and their brother copies it. It does give a satisfying, smooth shave. And, the added bonus - they're beautiful razors!

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

My second razor after starting with a VDH. Even before I'd heard of 'riding the cap' I was getting excellent shaves with a Shark Super Chrome. This fine razor has however been supplanted by my vintage Gillettes. If I can ever get my oldest to give up carts & goo, it'll probably go to him.

FaceScraper likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I had the Mühle R89. Same head. Sold it. Reliable razor.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Great review. The DE89 was my first safety razor and has stayed in my rotation when using a DE. They are a great shaver at a great price.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Yep! Same for me. I got the VDH at Wally World just to try out a DE razor. I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't like it. Shortly afterwards, I got the Baxter. Now I also have the "Gillette fever"! I don't see me giving up the Baxter anytime soon though. It just looks so pretty in the stand...and I will still use it.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  12. LevelupShaves

I'm with both of you on the VDH being first for me. I have a couple of vintage Gillettes and I like them but I prefer the Edwin Jagger so far. I have a 65 flare time and an NDC ball end tech. They are a little mild for me though. I bet a red tip or adjustable would change my mind.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You mean like this:
    IMG_0244.JPG
    :)

GawainandtheGreenKnight and brit like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

I'd say maybe skip Red Tips, as your technique has already eclipsed that level of aggressiveness, and the 89 is similar in geometry. Adjustable on 6 or higher (or Fatip/Muhle) is where you might want to look next.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  15. LevelupShaves

Yes

16. LevelupShaves

Thanks I'm more interested in the adjustable anyway I'll have to keep my eyes open at some antique stores