Egyptian Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Oct 28, 2008.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Has anyone used any of the Egyptian blades offered by Gio?? I was just window shopping over there and noticed he listed a "huge" number of different brands.

I'm in the market for some more blades. I have my favorites (to date) but part of the fun is trying new stuff.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your shave

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

yes, the Big Bens, Racers, Rainbows, etc are excellent. Nacet blades are also made in Egypt, and very good and smooth.

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Poppi, you got it from the expert! Now we want your reviews!

4. crackstar

oyyyyyyyyyy, me is NO expert, but thanks, Johan! :D

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

When it comes to middle east gear, you are our authority! You pick up stuff I never have heard of before I'm deeply impressed and humbled!

6. crackstar

thanks, my dear friend! I know only what I have seen in the Middle East, but there are items I never heard of also from there!

7. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Lord Supers are also really good. As good as a Feather IMHO.

8. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Giovanni just sent me a mini-sample pack of blades from around the Mid-East. All of the ones mentioned here and many more. I'm looking forward to giving them a test drive.

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Same here. So far I've tried the "Shark" blade and it was pretty good. The packaging is bright and catchy on most of them.

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

im too spoiled with swedish gillettes :)

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm currently using the Swedes. First time giving it a try because I saw that Gillette may make a good blade after loving the 7 o' clocks. They were pretty good for the first shave and than the second shave wasnt nearly as sharp. I'll try a third tomorrow. Its decent, but I dont think I'd buy another pack. If I were just looking for decent I would get some cheap treets.

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ive been fortunate w/ the swedes. im still on the first blade out of the pack, which is also the first swede ive ever used, and tomorrow will be shave #17 on the blade.

13. JayKay

Whattt?? The most shaves I ever got out of a blade before it tore up my face were wilkinson swords and that was 5 shaves. They were pretty bad from the beginning to the end. Lots of tugging. I'm happy getting 3 out of a blade. I also have pretty thick whiskers.

14. JimR

JimR Active Member

If you don't like them, woul you send them to me? I'm keen to try them out, but no one wants to trade... I can send you some feathers in return.

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

well prior to this the most i got was i think 4 shaves out of the russian 7 o'clock blades, so needless to say this is unbelieveable bordering on scary. my stash is at about 70 or so and with this ratio, that is going to last me a LONG TIME.

16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I was kinda hoping to get "meh" reports on the Egyptian blades. But nnnooooo, now I have to save some $$ and order some Egyptian blades. Of course, I'll have to include some soaps/creams and some......you get the idea.

17. riffin

riffin Active Member

Gio has an Egyptian sample pack. I have one on order. I'll be reviewing them on R&B as soon as they come in.

18. JayKay

I get the feeling it would probably cost the same for you to order a bunch of blades and pick up the shipping discount from a vendor over the price it would cost to ship 4 blades internationally. I'm not 100% sure though as I've never shipped anything internationally.

19. crackstar

I have an Egyptian friend, who also shaves with a DE. He will be going to Cairo in December to visit family there, and he promised to bring me back some Nacets, which are among my favorite blades. He also wants to bring me some Racers and Rainbows. Egypt has a LOT of terrific wetshaving items.

20. JimR

JimR Active Member

Well, I am thinking about breaking down and springing for a couple of packs.

However, international shipping isn't nearly as expensive as people make it out to be. It's more expensive than domestic, yes, but not unreasonably so, especially for Americans (Europe, on the other hand, sucks for shipping).

I got a ten pack of blades with the plastic holder in the mail yesterday...It cost 1.20 to ship, in a big padded envelope.