Either I am doing something wrong, or...

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Monty Craig, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

I am getting schooled lately! Recently i bought a tube of Burt's Bees shave cream... yuck! Next I bought a jar of Shea Butter shave cream from Target. I could not get either one to lather at all! They are just a thick cream paste that sits on top of my face. I don't care for it at all. If I could get it to lather, it just might be redeemable. Am I doing something wrong?

I fill the sink with hot water, float a ceramic rice bowl in it, soak my brush, and put a bit in the bowl. I have swirled with a badger brush, and a stiffer boar brush... still no results. Can anyone help?

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Burts....garbage it. Or use it as a paperweight. The Shea Butter, no clue but try adjusting your water/product ratio and playing around with it. I'm not sure of how it performs, so I can't judge it vs something like Proraso or Williams or any of the other brands I use.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Burt's is garbage as Justin said. The other one might be a brushless (ie: does not lather; just apply a thin layer by hand then shave).

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I concur with the above comments. Sorry man, you might have been stuck with non lathering items. Best look for something that lathers better.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Neither of those will lather.

This thread may be of some help.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Your using latherless products. They're meant to be smeared on your beard with your finger tips.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The Shea Moisture is marketed for use with a brush. They even sell a brush & cream set.
    They apparently suffer from delusions of grandeur. ;)

alpla444 and Williams Warrior like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Go to Walgreens,CVS,Walmart,RiteAid,independant drugstores or even some grocery stores and pick up a puck of Van der Hagan Delux. It's cheap,lathers easily and it works pretty good....:)

Kevin K likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

*ahem* :innocent

battle.munky and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Here's a quick rundown of shaving products that may be available in your area. If there is an ethnic store in your area, hit them up. Often they will carry shaving creams from other countries. (i.e. Italian grocery stores often carry Prorazo products).

CREAMS:
    Kiss My Face shaving cream: Some grocery stores carry this
    The Real Shaving Co. Shaving Cream (look for the 2x concentrated): Sold at Rite Aid
    Maca Root Shave Cream: Sold at The Body Shop
    C.O. Bigelow: Sold at Bath & Body Works
    Prorazo: Some grocery stores and pharmacies carry this

SOAPS:
    Williams Mug Shaving Soap (which I would personally avoid): Sold at many grocery stores and pharmacies
    Van Der Hagen (VdH): comes in three varieties, Deluxe, Select, and Glycerin: Sold at Wal*Mart and other retailers.
    Dove (soap bar): can be used for shaving, works quite well.
    Pears (soap bar): was originally formulated for shaving. Has been reformulated, so I don't know if it still can be used for shaving or not: Found at Dollar stores.

11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

As said the Proraso lathers very well, the scent is not for everyone but I like it, maybe the Proraso white as the scent is abit more for everyone it wont break the bank price wise and as mentioned you WILL see lather:)

12. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

We need to PIF this man some good soap/creams! Sadly I gave all my sample containers away to my father and another recently converted friend. Most of my samples were from the shave den shop. You should really go that route to try a bunch of things but not break the bank.

13. Ryan B

Proraso/ C.O. Bigelow is sold at Bath and Body Works. If you have one of those in a nearby mall, go there, make a beeline for the men's section and get yourself a tube. I tried it and didn't like it, but maybe you will. You won't know til you try.

14. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

I have been using the menthol C.O. Bigalow shave cream in the small tube. I like it quite well, especially when I am out on the road. Gives me a whole new meaning for LoL....Lots of lather! Thanks guys... I think I can say that I don't like lather-less shave creams. Too bad to. I really wanted to like the Shea Butter. Oh well... the up side is that I found out that I like their Badger brush. I doubt it is a high quality one at $8.00, but it gives me something to compare my Boar to.

JayPo007, PLANofMAN and Ryan Bales like this.
  15. Ryan B

You have to start somewhere.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Shea Moisture Shave Brush is probably the highest rated "budget" badger brush out there. So don't feel that you are missing out. If you like it, that's all that matters.:happy088: You lucked out, having a Target that actually carried one near you. None of the ones near me do, but then again, I've got enough brushes.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Is it the badger or the synthetic? I was in Target the other day and saw they are selling the synthetic in the badger box.

Are the bristles white or black? Black will be the badger and it is a fantastic brush, especially for $8.00, if the bristles are predominantly white with a little bit of brownish coloring toward the tips you have their synthetic incorrectly marked as badger. If you have the synthetic, I'm guessing it too is good since you like it. If it is the synthetic, you owe it to yourself to try a badger still though.

18. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

Bob - It is black, a lot softer than my boar. ;-)

battle.munky likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For now. That boar, if shown proper love, can become as soft as some of the softest badgers out there.

20. NukeLaloosh

NukeLaloosh Active Member

That's almost certainly the badger. I have the same one, and yeah, it's a neat-o brush that seems to work really well for me. I also wanted to second PLANofMAN's sentiments on the brush-if the brush is making you happy and putting good lather on your face, than it's a good brush.

Oh, and PLANofMAN, if you do want the Shea Moisture brush, the Target near my house carries 'em, and I;d be happy to send one on at cost plus shipping. Feel free to let me know.

PLANofMAN likes this.