Electric or Alternative fueled Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by TheCopperHat, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I thought with the interesting mix of people here at The Den this might spring up some cool ideas.

So a few friends of mine and I over the last year or so have been experimenting with some different setups as far as electric powered motorcycles and small cars. As well as veggie oil fueled diesel engines in everything from old Merceded saloon cars to a full size school bus.

Anyone else tinkered with ideas? Currently the small electric car we built is waiting on a battery pack, while the motorcycle is averaging 200km/per charge.

Next on the list is an all motor electric drag bike...Just cause :cool:

Lastly, anybody watching or keeping up with Electric Only Grand Prix out of the states? Bikes like the MotoCzysz E1pc, Zero's "S" or the proposed mass production Lightning Motorcycles.

Personally I find it all quite exciting!

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is interesting. I am currently working for the government doing bio products. Which includes biodiesel ethanol etc. Some of the stuff is pretty interesting.

That is neat on the motor cycle. What is the weight of it? as well as the speed for 200km?

3. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

200km is based on an average speed of 80km/h, we did a highway test around 100-110km/h and were seeing around the 150km - 180km mark. Haven't had much of a chance to take it out a few times and really test it for the highway side, it lives mainly commuting to victoria and back. At which I charge it once a week or so depending on the trips. It was a 450lb bike fully build, but we switched from SLA's (temp batteries that were in at weigh time) to LiPo's but haven't re weighed. I'm guessing a weight drop of around 75lbs.

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is a pretty decent weight for a bike. Where are you guys doing the work and such?

If you don't mind me asking a bunch of questions. Has the bike been a ground up build or more of a part replacement build?

Also how do you charge it? Most of the chargers I have seen have been separate units. Pretty interesting set ups from the universities around here. Mostly making cars but some bikes.

Thanks for posting this. Interesting stuff.

5. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Ive never worked on any projects but am a supporter of bio fuels to the extent that it doesnt effect the food supply or prices. I use Bio fuels on my farm as much as possible. All my tractors are powered by Bio diesel blends. IVe got an old Farmall 450 D that smells like Micky D's French fries when it reaches running temps.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Before I got a paying gig in engineering, I was working with a not-for-profit think tank that helped inventors vet their ideas for viability/reality/manufacturability. One of the clients was, may still be, a man named Larry Wexler and he has a solar car. I never rode in it but spent a day helping Larry put it together and run it up and down the road. Not one drip of fuel in it other than what it took to provide the initial charge to the lead acid batteries. Pretty cool.

7. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

All the work is being done in my parking lot/old shop I worked at, really anywhere there is space. None of us are engineers, or electricians, it's all being done based on our experiences. The bike is somewhat a ground up, being built on an old Yamaha Maxim frame (400cc bike). The charger is currently a seperate unit but it's a simple task to disassemble and install it somewhere on the bike ( my idea is fuel tank).